It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A View of US Forces in at-Tanf Syria Border Post

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
As I expected, there was nothing more that could be done to maintain this position, and the Pentagon allegedly is ready to vacate, but has not set any timeline. They probably will just pull out in the middle of the night and cross into Jordan. When everyone gets up one morning it will just look like a ghost town.
US says ready to leave Syria’s Al-Tanf
And the original Sputnik article as well.
US Says Ready to Leave Syria's al-Tanf, Timeframes Unclear

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – The US is ready to leave Syria’s al-Tanf, where the US-led coalition is currently located, but it has not outlined any timeframes, a military-diplomatic source told Sputnik.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
EU fancy characters should not be confused about the Russian military leaving Syria. This was not done for electoral reasons. This was the completion of a military operation, whose objectives do not include the occupation of the country. It was never a colonial operation.

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
As I expected, there was nothing more that could be done to maintain this position, and the Pentagon allegedly is ready to vacate, but has not set any timeline. They probably will just pull out in the middle of the night and cross into Jordan. When everyone gets up one morning it will just look like a ghost town.
US says ready to leave Syria’s Al-Tanf
And the original Sputnik article as well.
US Says Ready to Leave Syria's al-Tanf, Timeframes Unclear

MOSCOW (Sputnik) – The US is ready to leave Syria’s al-Tanf, where the US-led coalition is currently located, but it has not outlined any timeframes, a military-diplomatic source told Sputnik.

Any word on a timeline for al-Tanf? It's been a while since they shipped their Rebel proxy fighters off to the Kurdish region to fight ISIS, or man their glory holes (I doubt the US really cares which). There hasn't been much going on near al-Tanf for the last few months.

Perhaps they're waiting for the Russian troops to leave. I'm sure this has been negotiated out behind the scenes.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan
I don't believe they are serious at this point anymore. When no timeline is given, it kind of becomes an open ended commitment with a vague promise to leave some day. Kind of like Iraq and Afghanistan, although I am not downplaying the importance of maintaining forces in those places, just drawing a parallel.

I was reading an Arabic source today from back in May though saying that Including the USA, there are Norwegian, German, Italian, and a couple of Arab partners numbering about 150 total. Its just setup like a temporary FOB, so I can't imagine they will be there forever. I have not seen too much new in regards to Tanf, so I will keep an eye out for some new updates. But unfortunately, don't expect a timeline for withdrawal.

It still functions as a strategically placed roadblock though to keep Iranians from having a direct land route to Lebanon.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan
Well, this garrison at Tanf is now going to evolve into a semi-permanent base according to the language used by David Satterfield at a Senate Foreign Relations Committee meeting recently.

WASHINGTON DC, United States (Kurdistan 24) – The US is establishing two military bases in Syria for use after the defeat of the Islamic State (IS), Defense News reported Monday.

One is near Raqqa, at Tabqa, where there is a Syrian air base that US forces have taken over for purposes of training and advising the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF). The other site is at al-Tanf, on the Iraqi-Syrian border, near the al-Waleed border crossing
Over the past week, US officials have increasingly spoken of a continuing US presence in eastern Syria, even after IS’ defeat.

On Thursday, Acting Assistant Secretary of State for Near East Affairs, David Satterfield, revealed to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee that the US had an alternate plan for Syria, in the event that the UN-sponsored talks in Geneva failed to produce an agreement.

In that case, Satterfield said, the US would remain in eastern Syria to provide an alternative political model within the country to Assad’s brutal rule and to counter “Iran and its ability to enhance its presence in Syria.”

Well cutting off their primary land bridge would do just that. Whatever it takes.

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry
Russia recently threatened to engage targets within the 55km exclusion zone around Al-Tanf after a hot pursuit crossed into the area September 1. As a result of their threats, US forces in partnership with the CJTF-OIR performed a live fire demonstration to let the Russians know that we do not need their assistance there and they should back off.

"Our forces will demonstrate the capability to deploy rapidly, assault a target with integrated air and ground forces, and conduct a rapid exfiltration anywhere in the OIR combined joint operations area," CENTCOM spokesman Capt. Bill Urban said in an official statement prior to the start of the exercises.

The combat exercises involving US troops, as well as Operation Inherent Resolve forces, are being held to send a clear message to Russia: The US does not need their help to take on terrorists in the area.

"The US does not require any assistance in our efforts to destroy ISIS in the At Tanf deconfliction zone and we advised the Russians to remain clear," Brown explained, adding, "Coalition partners are in the At Tanf deconfliction zone for the fight to destroy ISIS. Any claim that the US is harboring or assisting ISIS is grossly inaccurate.

"The Russians agreed to a 55-kilometer deconfliction zone around the At Tanf garrison to avoid accidental conflict between our forces, and to remain professionally engaged through deconfliction channels," he added, "We expect the Russians to abide by this agreement. There is no reason for Russian or pro-regime forces to violate the confines of that deconfliction zone."

"The United States does not seek to fight the Russians, the government of Syria or any groups that may be providing support to Syria in the Syrian civil war," Brown told BI, "However, the United States will not hesitate to use necessary and proportionate force to defend US, coalition or partner forces, as we have clearly demonstrated in past instances."

Earlier this year, roughly 40 US troops held off around 500 Russian mercenaries and pro-Syrian regime forces, reportedly killing hundreds.

Well this got hot really quick. Hopefully there will be video of the exercise available soon.
edit on 9-8-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I did not find any video of the recent exercises, but there is a couple of images, only one from the actual event last night.

الشراكة ما بين قوات التحالف الدولي وجيش مغاوير الثورة تمثلت من خلال تدريبات بالذخيرة الحيّة لصقل امكانيات القتال الناري في عمليات مكافحة الارهاب بالقرب من التنف. صور حصرية لشبكتنا من التدريبات:

CJTFOIR and Maghawir al-Thowra partnership was represented with live ammo exercises to hone their war-fighting skills for counter-terrorism operations near al-Tanf. Exclusive pictures from the exercises:

The only video I could find was from ten days agao when they were testing a HIMARS system in the area for readiness. They also did some at night a couple days later.

Found a very recent report from Orient News on the same subject, but not really any footage of actual training.

The International Alliance conducts military exercises in Al-Tanf using live ammunition and the participation of the Air Force The International Alliance launched military maneuvers near the base of Al-Tenf east of Syria, according to a statement issued by the Central Command of the coalition, the aim of the exercises to improve combat skills in counter-terrorism operations, and comes at a time of escalating US-Russian differences on areas of influence in Syria .. Report: Ahmed El Hassan

edit on 9-8-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   
This was a general report on recent happenings in Syria, but there is footage and images from the base here in al-Tanf included in this Russian media report. The title says Соприкосновение огнем" Россия готова атаковать! Сирия последние новости сегодня which translates to Contact with fire "Russia is ready to attack! Syria breaking news today, which I assume is in reference to the Russians stating they will attack enemy forces who enter the 55km exclusion zone regardless of our statement saying we do not need assistant.
I can't really explain what the report is saying in general because there was no description for me to copy and paste into translation. But it appears to discuss the situation at the time West of Tanf in Suweiyda (sic), then they talk about the heated exchange of words between USA and Russia over the presence in Tanf and the live fire exercise the Marines did in response to the Russian threat, followed by some coverage in Idlib which they show stock footage of previous fake bombing scenes setup by the White Helmets in 2016, likely to draw a parallel to the current claims of Chemical weapons attack.

posted on Sep, 15 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
This last week has brought a flurry of activity to this border region. Here is some of that activity.

Already Happened
‏ @M3t4_tr0n

Sep 13

US Marine fires FGM-148 Javelin near Al-Tanf, Syria

This recent development was from the last couple hours

Already Happened
‏ @M3t4_tr0n

📸 US has airlifted Marines and Special Forces with Osprey + various equipment/supplies including Mk 153 SMAW, around Al-Tanf, Syria

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Ok so they finally got around to posting some video of their demonstrations (the US Marines) with partner forces out in the tanf area. They fly to location in the Osprey, then proceed to practice with some weapons including the Javeline from the still shot above and looks like some use of a SMAW as well and various light machine guns. Day and night training from the area is in the video.
I really like the night shots, I think they do too!

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Oh #, I just heard that Russians dared to attack us around Tanf, targeting a 155mm artillery piece. I am going to have to do some digging, I was not online much at all yesterday. We intercepted some of the attack, but others got through causing damage.

posted on Sep, 17 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Please keep doing what you are doing. I like these threads … because this kind of news is very difficult to find otherwise.

Carry on

posted on Sep, 19 2018 @ 12:45 AM
link   
recent developments brought to us by a new member in a different thread. Much of it concerns this base, I thought it prudent to post in its entirety.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
originally posted by: Strate8
Interesting events happening in Syria now.

Turkey and Russia may have come to an agreement to avoid damaging assualt on Idlib:
www.almasdarnews.com...

If this holds true would be a good thing, avoid a lot of bloodshed and damage to infrastructure there. And avoid drawing some type of military response from the west. There is no need to rush into Idlib at this time, Mercs have been boxed in with only opening pointing north back to Turkey.

Find this very, very interesting:

THe SOHR report said that the rebel group will be evacuated from the Tanf region alongside their family members that are present in the Rukban Refugee Camp. The rebel group will also be allowed to keep their military vehicles and weapons, which is different from most factions that are evacuated. The Quraytayn Martyrs Brigade and their family members will be evacuated through the Syrian government’s territories until they reach the areas of the Aleppo Governorate that are controlled by the Turkish-backed rebels.

www.almasdarnews.com...

Russia and Damascus are allowing a US trained, supported "rebel" group to leave Al Tanaf and be relocated north of Aleppo. And allowed to keep their arms no less... This signals big changes I think. Why would Russia/Syria allow this if something had not changed on the dynamics of this war? RUS/SAA are definetly not in a weak position right now, they do not have to let this go through but they are. So is Al Tanaf days numbered before control is turned back over to SAA? If so, that would mean the West has finally given up on the Qatar pipeline route.

War still has no shortage of dirty tricks to be played:
thesaker.is...

Israel apparently not happy with recent turn of events and trying to draw people back to the precipice of all out war.

1 minute notice to Russia before launching extended assault against Syrian positions. Israel placed their planes behind a Russian EW aircraft and the plane did not have time to leave the area, leading to a friendly fire downing of it by SAA air defenses (S-200). S-400 was activated after Russian plane was shot down. Of the 15 Russian servicemen onboard there are no survivors.

I would expect this to spell the beginning of the end of Israeli air incursions/attacks on Syria. While that tactic is not new, the manner in which Israel used Russians as cover for their attack when they supposedly have deconfliction agreements to prevent this sort of "accident" is a new low for Israel. I would expect further upgrades to Syrian air defenses after this and new rules of engagement coming out which take the gloves off Russian air defenses more. Wondering if layered defense with Morpheus protecting S-300/S-400 is in place. Assuming it is or will be shortly with this latest escalation.

Last,
www.zerohedge.com...

Interesting that Congress (the House) is finally finding their voice on Syria campaign which had zero opposition when Obama involved us in that mess by arming and training a bunch of mercenaries. What is changing? Any relation to FISA DECLAS? Timing a coincidence?

Meet the new McStain: en.wikipedia.org...
The anti-Trump "Republican" and new face of pushing for escalation in Syria

a reply to: Fowlerstoad
you got it bud
thank you

edit on 9-19-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

GD

posted on Sep, 29 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I don’t think that this will end Israeli ops in the area. The Israelis outclass the Russians in training and equipment. I think we will soon know that the vaunted Russian S-400 is no match for F-35s. Hell, the Russians and Israelis may ALREADY know.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Russian forces are positioning for a possible offensive into the Al-Tanf 55km exclusion zone. There are allegations of Anti air defense systems being deployed with heavy artillery and MLRS systems on the way. I hope we can declassify some of this footage from our air assets engaging their forces not only on what is impending, but what happened back in February as well.

posted on Dec, 15 2018 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Some rather disheartening news... for me anyway.. www.stripes.com... I suppose it should be expected though as America, Saudi, and Israel are all about destroying Iran's leadership.

In September, however, the administration switched course, saying the troops will stay in Syria pending an overall settlement to the Syrian war and with a new mission: to act as a bulwark against Iran's expanding influence.

That decision puts U.S. troops in overall control, perhaps indefinitely, of an area comprising nearly a third of Syria, a vast expanse of mostly desert terrain roughly the size of Louisiana.

The Pentagon does not say how many troops are there. Officially, they number 503, but earlier this year an official let slip that the true number may be closer to 4,000. Most are Special Operations forces, and their footprint is light. Their vehicles and convoys rumble by from time to time along the empty desert roads, but it is rare to see U.S. soldiers in towns and cities.

posted on Dec, 18 2018 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky
Look at the bright side, that third of Syria known as Rojava is the new Israel. In fact I said as much before they even managed to secure it all back in 2016. Which means that, that border is now permanent, and there will be quite the potential for significant ROI's in the next couple of decades by investing in funds and companies directly tied to its development. Including... Rare Earth Elements!

Anyways, MaT lost three of their fighters pushing back some of the forces outside of the 55km zone on December 14 when much of this started to break out.

Sources in the 55km DCZ reported that the Maghawir al-Thawra and the @CJTFOIR monitored the Regime Forces trying to build a position within the Deconfliction Zone, MaT pushed them out of 55k DCZ and 3 fighter of MaT were killed in repelling the assault.

I think that it is important to remember, that while these men may not be wearing American uniforms, they do serve our interests as much as any other enlisted servicemen. Let us thank them for that at least in their sacrifice.

posted on Dec, 22 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Hammurabi's justice is reporting that mat is still receiving air drops from cjtf-oir.

The rumors about the U.S. withdrawal from the 55km DCZ are fake allegation, the @CJTFOIR
have dropped resupply near al-Tanf to insure the commitment of Maghaweir Thowra & Coalition Forces in securing the civilians of 55km DCZ.

I really not sure who to believe. I was certain the announcement for a Syria withdrawal was specifically in reference to al-tanf.

posted on Jul, 6 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Well we finally have some recent activity here in this area. Things have been quiet for the most part in this enclave being held by US marines and some partners on the ground. Looks like they conducted some night drill on July 5, readiness training and such no doubt. It was quite a show, hopefully I can find some video.

Southfront
On July 5 , the US-led coalition and its Syrian proxies conducted night live drills in the 55km de-esclation zone around the southeastern Syrian area of al-Tanaf.

“The Revolutionary Commando Army, alongside with coalition forces, is conducting successful training and no one has been hurt during the training. training aim to refine their skills to defeat a Daesh [ISIS] and ensure they do not return to the 55k area,” the Revolutionary Commando Army said in a short press release.

The US-backed group also released several photos of the drills, showing the coalition’s High Mobility Artillery Rocket System (HIMARS) conducting a live firing exercise. Around 200 U.S. service members and 300 fighters of the Revolutionary Commando Army are currently stationed in the al-Tanaf base, which is located on a strategic highway linking the Iraqi capital of Baghdad with Damascus.

I wonder if our forces will ever leave this area? Israel needs this highway permanently closed as it provides a land route to deploy its forces in Syria, something Israel has stated it will not accept due to the existential threat Iran poses to Israel. But Trump will only be in office until 2024, so there is no telling if the next POTUS will authorize a continued presence in the al-Tanf area.

Time will tell I suppose..

posted on Jul, 24 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Well there was an aerial incident between an american f-15 and an Iranian airlines over the tanf zone of co tell yesterday. Iran is not at all happy. They are dema ding a criminal investigation. I bet that will go far.

An American F-15 fighter jet flew about 1,000 meters from an Iranian passenger airliner over Syria, while conducting what it called a “standard visual inspection” of the aircraft, officials from U.S. Central Command said.

Reports began to spread on social media about the encounter with the Mahan Air airplane earlier on Thursday, as did videos allegedly taken by passengers on the plane of the encounter. Initial reports said the fighter may have been from Israel. The passenger aircraft landed at an airport in Beirut, Lebanon, afterwards.

In a release Thursday evening, CENTCOM spokesman Navy Capt. Bill Urban said that the F-15 was on a “routine air mission” near the al-Tanf garrison base in southern Syria at the time. Urban said that the F-15 conducted the inspection “to ensure the safety of coalition personnel at al-Tanf garrison.” When the F-15 identified the aircraft as a passenger plane, its pilot “safely opened distance” from the Mahan aircraft, Urban said.

“The professional intercept was conducted in accordance with international standards,” Urban said.

Iranian state TV said on Thursday that the passenger plane was “harassed” by fighter jets, according to the Associated Press. Reports said the interception forced the pilot to sharply change altitude, flying low and causing slight injuries among some of the passengers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join