It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Investing in this day and age. Silver, cryptocurrency, seeds...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
This has been on my mind for some time, and I've been thinking about making a post asking for input.

Here's where I stand:
I woke up to the reality of our global (and especially local) financial fiat problem about three, maybe four years ago.
My first reaction was panic- bought some dry foods and ammo, stored it away... but I never had much money.

I owned a house- and I was in the city. Never cared for it there, but that's where I was.
Fast forward, I'm selling the house. In a few days I'll have a check for my hard times in the city, and I'm going to be sitting on a pile of US dollars in a world where I feel like they could be worth less than toilet paper overnight.

The idea is to buy land- but it'll be a year or more before I can transition that.
It would also be nice to get something out of it should the market not collapse.

So, the old standby is metal. It's been going down in value lately
I can't swing much gold, but I could buy silver.
If the SHTF, would coins be more useful than bars? ampmex sells 1oz bars that are marked, they seem just as useful as coins- and could be cut in half if you needed a half ounce for change.
Or I guess I could just buy coins of different sizes.
The problem there is that many of these coins and bars cost 10% over metal value, and 15% over resale back to the market. Dropping $1000 on silver means getting $900 worth of silver... so unless the value goes up 10% by the time you need to cash out, you won't even break even- so I'm probably only going to hold onto a stash of silver for just in case dollars do fail.

Cryptocurrencies.
Here's my take.
We've all heard of bitcoin by now. A year ago I said it would settle around $500- but now they've made it legal in japan and are talking about a hard fork... I think it could go either way in the next year, but in the end I think it will be replaced, and become worthless.
There are coins better suited to what bitcoin has become... so I'm thinking of just buying $100 worth of any coin that was created as more than just a joke. The problem with that is there are almost 1000 different coins out there, totaling more money than I'd even have from the sale.
But maybe $10 worth of all currencies worth less than $1. It'd be a ten grand gamble, but only one coin would need to really take off to make it pay out.

Seeds? Worth nothing unless the market collapses, which is a real fear of mine.

Stocks and bonds? No safer than a safety deposit box full of cash.

What do the financial savvy members of ATS think?

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
What do the financial savvy members of ATS think?

I personally wouldn't dump my investment into physical silver in preparation for a societal collapse.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I would look into getting land somewhere with natural resources and in a rural setting. Buy some things like building supplies, maybe even look on Craigslist "Free" category or the junk yard for salvageable materials that will save you some money on these supplies.

Firearms and plenty of ammo, and I personally do invest a lot in precious metals - I'm not sure how useful cryptos will be in a societal collapse (but one could say the same about silver - ever since it was removed from US coinage the public seems to have lost interest). Personally, I realize the value of precious metals for industrial, medical, and store-of-wealth purposes but that's not to say others would be willing to trade food/supplies for it.

This is a tough issue because there's no telling how the general public would react to societal collapse, or at what level it would happen at.

I would advise you to keep some cash out of the bank, and real property you can hold. Not having your money tied up in banks/the markets is a good idea, but obviously having some is a smart idea for paying bills and general life necessities since society evidently hasn't (totally) collapsed (yet)
if you want to talk it over more feel free to U2U me, I spend a lot of time thinking about these scenarios and trying to hedge my investments in case the dollar or global economy implodes

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I agree that buying land with some resources is the smartest thing to do- as stated in the post, that's my endgame- it's taking me some time to find the land I want, and I have to leverage my life in such a way that I can live on said land before I can really commit to it...
Right now, I'm stuck commuting to the city I moved from.

The land I can afford that has the resources I want isn't within a commuting distance- so I'll need some time to work it out.
In the mean time I always keep some portion of USD on hand (can't get to the bank on a sunday- but you can buy a car off craigslist!) and I recently bought a small amount of silver just to own... but for now I'm renting and can't really amass much in the way of stuff.

edit:
as for cryptos, I say they'd be worthless if SHTF- but if USD doesn't collapse, they might be a really keen way to make a bunch of money if played right. That's the only reason I brought it up.
edit on 21-6-2017 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
On the Cryptocurrency side, you should look into Ether

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

If the SHTF, would coins be more useful than bars? ampmex sells 1oz bars that are marked, they seem just as useful as coins- and could be cut in half if you needed a half ounce for change.

Called "Junk Silver", invest ten percent of that portfolio in Pre 64 us silver coins. They are difficult to counterfeit, easily identified, guaranteed silver content by weight, in multiple denominations.

From one thin dime to quarters, halves, and dollars, they are currently worth (many times) their face value in "Fiat" (fake ) currency , the way money is supposed to grow in value.

In that "SHTF" scenario, the best course.

Just make sure whatever 'junk silver' you buy has ridges around the edge and a legible date.

googled

edit on 21-6-2017 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac Just to give you my five cents: I personally think we have still 5-10 years until a real social collapse is REALISTIC to happen. Even if it's two years time, it will be enough for you to settle yourself. I would say, just put your money in a flexible bank and forget about the worries.

-Argent

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

In a real shtf scenario all bets are off. Food, booze, and ammo, are the way to go. Owning land is nice, but unless you can defend it nothing matters. A small community you trust will be vital unless you are very remote. The value of precious metals is largely tied to tech now. In a shtf happens tech is gone. Food is life.
edit on 6/21/17 by Ksihkehe because: Typo

edit on 6/21/17 by Ksihkehe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yeah, you don't want to invest more than 10% in precious metals. Try to diversify, that way if one sector does poorly, the others might be doing well.

If you put money into some land, get a plan to have that land produce food/income.

posted on Jun, 21 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I bought a flat in a small town.
I have Canadian silver coins,Bitcoin,Ethereum & Veritasium, & some riff raff to play with like steemit, digibyte and others.
I am not seeing bitcoin ever go down the next 20 years below 1440$ or above 3100$ normalise around 2200$.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: GodEmperor

If you put money into some land, get a plan to have that land produce food/income.

Arable land , first and foremost. Switching to farming is tough work for city folk. Almost forgone conclusion, by that route, establishing ones position in that agro-munity to fit in with barter, trade goods or skills. If you have chickens for market you don't need a ten pound sack of silver.

Should't have to 'save it up' anyway, damn greedy banksters took all our silver and gold.

The 'coin' of the realm is paper, plastic and Electronic funds.

grrr...

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I think New economy movement, (xem) can take a big jump once it launches catapult. I just got into cryptocurrency recently too because of the ethereum jump but the ones I really like are 1, xem 2, litecoin 3, pivx 4, dash and 5, ripple

Xem and ripple have potential to be game changers and I also like namecoin. Anything can happen but I'm bettin on those to rise. Cryptocurrency is here to stay.

posted on Jun, 23 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   

APMEX has high premiums and minimum order amounts. Visit my local dealer online instead, or a competitor further south of me.
Gainesville Coins
Modern Coin Mart

You will see that both of them regularly and consistently sell for a better price than APMEX, and they are super trustworthy.

However, I have spoken with people who have an established relationship with APMEX, and they have said that you get freebies, deep discounts, and bonuses from time to time the longer they deal with them.no reason given)

edit on 6-23-2017 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

join