It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian police find Nazi machine-gun in traffic stop.... yup.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Who wrote this are they stupid?? First a deactivated fire arm they would make the barrel unusable. So there is probably alot of guns like that in the UK. Then they are holding it as claimed to see if it was used in a crime. OK how do you do that without a barrel. It can't be fired and any Ballistic's would match what ever barrel they use to fire it.

Not sure why they they think it's a nazi gun instead of german. Even continued to make them and sell them after the war. A gun without a barrel is like faucet without pipes. Don't care how much you turn the handle you won't get water until it's connected.

So he had the receiver but wold still need to buy a barrel which is prohibited in austrilia . Guns are regulated by barels. Even in the United States I can buy recievers for automatic weapons. But to buy a barel you need a dealer license. Now he could probably get someone to purchase one and send it UPS. But until he does that he just has a paper weight.

edit on 6/20/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Possibly.

Do you get what I'm saying?

Obviously, without the barrel, it's useless but still useable if the barrel is put back in. As apposed to a museum piece that is welded up, never to be fired again.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

Possibly.

Do you get what I'm saying?

Obviously, without the barrel, it's useless but still useable if the barrel is put back in. As apposed to a museum piece that is welded up, never to be fired again.

I'd suggest it is easier to machine a bolt or some other mech for the receiver or grind off the trigger welds and make and fit a new trigger than it ever would be to obtain a barrel, so, unless he possesses the barrel, the gun is as deactivated as it gets.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

What you have there is a bloody paper weight...despite all the tears and wailing from the hack at the bbc.

If a factory original, a very collectable paper weight worth its weight in gold to collectors. Sans barrel, probably because he was going to transit it separately to show he had no 'evil Nazi intentions', lol.

The cops took it probably to add to their collection (they can own guns).

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Pattern museums don't dewat firearms, they are kept in working condition to use as 'patterns' for study of design and function.

google pattern museums

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

IS it easy to get a barrel? Was the person going to get a barrel? Are there barrels? Were the mags in working order, were there mags or are they going to single load this weapon?

A de-milled automatic rifle is usually welded/oxy acetylene torch cut through the receiver.

I imagine this is an expensive collector's piece. But some dumb ass had his hands on it. Who knows why. But he isn't doing anything "big" with it without mags/barrel.

edit on 20-6-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

no doubt, if it actually is a ww2 original, a very expensive paperweight to the right people.

This to me is another example of everything wrong with zero tolerance laws... its either blind obedience to the law with no room for common sense, or as you said... corrupt cops.

Both situations should concern people.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

I'm assuming he has/had the barrel somewhere else.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

In order for a gun to be properly deactivated, elements within the receiver or the bolt assembly itself, should have to be rendered immobile. A barrel change is the work of seconds with many such firearms, but a deactivated gun ought to have not simply a barrel or rapidly interchangeable part missing, but a part of the mechanism by which the bullet is fired removed or destroyed instead.

Also, I wonder if this is an actual MP40, or some manner of reproduction piece. Most people who have access to an original MP40 are not going to be shooting the thing that often, simply because of its collectable nature. Much money could be had for such a thing at auction.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Are you sure about the barrel needing a license? I thought it was the receiver, this is why a receiver needs to be shipped to a person who has a FLL license
And I'm not sure about the full auto receiver purchases with out a huge pain in the ass license.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   

God are you people thick?

If the chamber was welded up, or the trigger mechanism removed, or whatever else is done to historic weapons to stop them being useable, you guys might be onto something.

As it stands with the current information, you put the barrel back in, it will fire.

Pretty simple.

Apparently not so thick to believe that a firearm that has no barrel or chamber constitutes a functional weapon.

You mention having the chamber welded up, this gun has no chamber to weld up.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   

It's not hard to remove the barrel.

Probably about 10 seconds....

You did know this right?

You don't just walk into a Walmart and buy a barrel for an Mp-40.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
oops
edit on 20-6-2017 by iTruthSeeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

If the weapon has a receiver (and it does) then it has a chamber.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I think dude must have been a collector , he probably could have got hold of a German MP5 9 mm submachine gun for far less than the price of an MP40. Surely more reliable, the Heckler and Koch MP5 is the modern equivalent, used by many agencies round the world.

HK MP5

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

I think the chamber is integral to the barrel, not the receiver.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

In order for a gun to be properly deactivated, elements within the receiver or the bolt assembly itself, should have to be rendered immobile. A barrel change is the work of seconds with many such firearms, but a deactivated gun ought to have not simply a barrel or rapidly interchangeable part missing, but a part of the mechanism by which the bullet is fired removed or destroyed instead.

Also, I wonder if this is an actual MP40, or some manner of reproduction piece. Most people who have access to an original MP40 are not going to be shooting the thing that often, simply because of its collectable nature. Much money could be had for such a thing at auction.

I am familiar with gun deactivation. Typically receivers are cut in two and chambers are rendered nonfunctional by welding, cutting or drilling.
Since the gun is missing the barrel, and hence the chamber, it is not capable of firing as is.
That would mean that the part that the reporter wrote describing it as 'in working order' is false.
A gun that 'works' should be capable of firing ammunition.
It appears to be an MP40, but it is not in very good shape.
It very well may be one brought back from Indochina, as Aussie soldiers did fight there.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

It looks like it does..

Still has its bolt too.

edit on 20/6/17 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
You are correct.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

The MP40 receiver is a simple tube that holds the bolt and recoil spring.
Here is a link to see one.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join