It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: US Navy destroyer takes on water after collision off Japanese coast

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Several members have already keyed on this, but the first thing I thought when I read the OP was that it was an intentional ramming.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Waiting for Kim to troll us. You know its coming,
I guess even with modern radar and stuff, accidents can happen. Hell, ufos crash and they are way more advanced. -_-

I agree with the other posters that think there might be more to this than just an accident.
edit on 16-6-2017 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: SBMcG

Sounds more like someone hasn't followed the rules of the sea. It's happened in the past, I remember a USN destroyer being sunk by collision with the Australian aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne in the late 1960's.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: SBMcG
Several members have already keyed on this, but the first thing I thought when I read the OP was that it was an intentional ramming.

For the ACX Crystal to be able to ram an Arleigh Burke would mean gross negligence on the crew of the destroyer.

One of these is a sports car in comparison to the other.

Does anybody know the heading of the ACX prior to impact?

Maybe the USS Fitzgerald just saved a port a massive disaster?

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

originally posted by: SBMcG

For the ACX Crystal to be able to ram an Arleigh Burke would mean gross negligence on the crew of the destroyer.

One of these is a sports car in comparison to the other.

Does anybody know the heading of the ACX prior to impact?

Maybe the USS Fitzgerald just saved a port a massive disaster?

Oh, I completely agree with that -- I'm a sailor.

Was the destroyer under way at the time of the accident?

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheShippingForecast

Sounds more like someone hasn't followed the rules of the sea. It's happened in the past, I remember a USN destroyer being sunk by collision with the Australian aircraft carrier HMAS Melbourne in the late 1960's.

I'll have to research that. I was unaware of that incident.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   

HMAS Melbourne collided with HMAS Voyager and at another time collided with the USS Frank E Evans.

Large loss of life in both incidents and both destroyers cut through.

kind regards,

bally

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

One injured sailor was being evacuated from the US ship by a Japanese Coast Guard helicopter, the US Navy reported.

A US official could not confirm any reports of missing US personnel, but Japanese public TV channel NHK reported seven US sailors missing, and one injured, according to the Japanese Coast Guard.

The Japanese Coast Guard identified the commercial ship as a Philippine container vessel, Sputnik news agency reported.
link

Prayers...

The crash occurred 56 nautical miles southwest of Yokosuka at 2:30am local time, June 17, according to the US Pacific Fleet.

Medical evacuations are reportedly occurring with assistance from the Japanese Coast Guard.

NHK reported that the USS Fitzgerald,an Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, was rendered "unable to operate" and suffered flooding, Reuters reported.

"The USS Fitzgerald suffered damage on her starboard side above and below the waterline," the US 7th Fleet reported.

The US Pacific Fleet said that "The extent of damage is being determined. The extent of personnel injuries is being determined. The incident will be investigated."

I still want to know how it happened. Anyone hear yet?

peace
edit on 3120Friday201713 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Does the US marine not have radars yet ?
I am sure you can buy some here in Denmark
Perhaps I can find a new captain to

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
NK attack?

Edit - just asking.
edit on 16-6-2017 by jafo1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Flooding in three compartments. They are bailing as fast as possible. Merchant ship plowed into the side of the DDG. There MAY be extensive damage below the water line because of the bulbous bow of the merchant ship. In other words, damage may be much worse than it looks. Merchant ship hit the starboard side of the DDG, so merchant ship had the right of way. CO has been in command 1.5 years. XO just got on board in March. With modern radar, etc. it's amazing that such a thing could happen these days. Heads will roll on this one.

Good breakdown thanks.

This seems very odd.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
video of the damage

www.cnn.com...

edit on 16-6-2017 by EchoesInTime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Maybe the US ship thought it had enough speed to cross the bow.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Extremely quiet way to test some new radar cloaking/jamming device against a live target? Some foreign entity installs it on a merchant cargo vessel and then seeks out a US military vessel to test it against, providing all of the test results with none of the "A Chinese/Russian battleship just sliced through a US destroyer and nobody knew it was there until the impact happened" headlines and furor.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: CreationBro

Preliminary report says 7 missing and one injured

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Why are you so quick to blame the U.S.?

# that! This is a military ship. Highly trained personnel.....

Edit - I say we attack.....N. Korea, S. Korea, Vietnam, Japan, China, Russia, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

edit on 16-6-2017 by jafo1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yikes. Or a radar jammer along with another device on the merchant ship, making the collision a god send.

Sounds like a movie.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I'm now wondering if the destroyer was somehow disabled or unable to maneuver at the time of the collision. I had forgotten just how badass Arleigh Burke-class destroyers are.

This should never have happened in open water.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Found this on a site

owner: Nippon Yusen Kaisha

NYKLine

That would seem to make it owned by a Japanese company. As far a crew, who knows.

posted on Jun, 16 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: jafo1973

originally posted by: roadgravel

Why are you so quick to blame the U.S.?

# that! This is a military ship. Highly trained personnel.....

Who said I am blaming the US? We're just speculating. Jeez.

edit:

Highly trained personnel

but then they did have a collision...Some day we'll know whose fault it is, one or the other.
edit on 6/16/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join