It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Otto Warmbier in a coma for a year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

TOKYO — University of Virginia student Otto Warmbier has been medically evacuated from North Korea in a coma after being detained for 17 months, his parents told The Washington Post on Tuesday.

Warmbier, 22, is due to arrive home in Cincinnati on Tuesday evening, after a stop at a U.S. military facility near Sapporo, Japan.

The family said they were informed that North Korean officials had told American envoys that Warmbier became ill with botulism sometime after his March, 2016, trial in North Korea, where he was serving a 15-year-sentence for “hostile acts against the state.”

www.washingtonpost.com... eb-9611861a988f_story.html?utm_term=.df2a0c5e3422

I just heard about this on the news after listening to the AG Sessions testimony. I am at a loss for words. This young man has been in a coma for over a year and we (the USA, family etc.) are JUST NOW hearing of his medical condition.

This is beyond disgusting. How in the world NK could do this and keep it hidden.......

I am beyond angry. There are some evil evil people in power in NK and they need to be demoted and put in prison.
edit on Tue Jun 13 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
This situation is liable to get really messy if when he gets back to the states they find out he was tortured.
edit on 13-6-2017 by avgguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

major bummer for his family for sure but i am having trouble caring about him.
just caught a stroke of the bad luck.

not saying he deserved prison or a coma but # man....you dont go to north korea and pull some stupid #

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

Warmbier's exact condition was not known, but his parents said they were told he had contracted botulism soon after his trial and had been given a sleeping pill, from which he has yet to awaken. What actually happened to Warmbier and why he fell into a coma, though, may be more disturbing. The New York Times, citing an unnamed senior American official, said the U.S. received intelligence reports in recent weeks that Warmbier had been repeatedly beaten and there were concerns in Washington that the beatings had killed him. Top U.S. officials were quick to express revulsion at North Korea’s

Something needs to be done about this. The poor guy was obviously tortured and beaten into a coma. At least his parents are getting him home alive, but he may never recover. Makes me angry.

Trump should demand that the other hostages be released immediately. They are surely being beaten and abused too. Obviously Rodman's visit is a trade-off for Otto being released.

We need to drop a M.O.A.B. on his ass. Link

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: EchoesInTime

yeah if beaten and tortured that sucks for sure.
what are we(the states) really supposed to do when a citizen is on foreign soil and breaks their rules?

trying to look at this objectively.

when you are on their field it is their ballgame.
not saying it is right but i have to think when you go visit a place like that you have to know some crazy # could happen.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: StoutBroux

How many American prisoners have been put into a coma?

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: avgguy
This situation is liable to get really messy if when he gets back to the states they find out he was tortured.

Took a year to heal up his wounds, but we will see if blunt force caused his coma...

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: EchoesInTime

yeah if beaten and tortured that sucks for sure.
what are we(the states) really supposed to do when a citizen is on foreign soil and breaks their rules?

trying to look at this objectively.

when you are on their field it is their ballgame.
not saying it is right but i have to think when you go visit a place like that you have to know some crazy # could happen.

It was 100% his fault...you do not stick your hand in a lions cage to see what would happen... I say this while still feeling sorry for him though.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
He broke the rules, was sentenced to 15 years hard labor, all for swiping a propaganda poster. But, the US was denied access to him for 14 months. It was a Swedish medical group that was recently allowed to visit him and discovered his severe medical condition. The fact remains, NK was responsible for his welfare and they failed. They should be held accountable. But they are slaughterers of innocents who don't follow their leader's regime. So what's one more?

Why would NK want to keep a man in a coma for over a year. And from what I've read they're claiming botulism but from some sources, they wouldn't know botulism if it hit them in the gut. They also have no treatment for it. The whole thing reeks of misdeeds by NK. The last video of him show him shaky and weak, he looks heavily sedated. I fear he will be a vegetable for the rest of his (most likely) short life but I hope against all hope, that is not the case. If he does recover, it would likely be best if he has no recollection of his time in NK.

posted on Jun, 13 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
He broke the rules, was sentenced to 15 years hard labor, all for swiping a propaganda poster.

Only a Fool would travel to North Korea.

new topics

top topics

join