It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois Rep Quigley Introduces...the COVFEFE Act

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
This is great. What's even better is that Covfefe, in this case, *is* an acronym:

WASHINGTON — Today, U.S. Representative Mike Quigley (IL-05), co-founder and co-chair of the Congressional Transparency Caucus, introduced the Communications Over Various Feeds Electronically for Engagement or “COVFEFE” Act. This bill codifies vital guidance from the National Archives by amending the Presidential Records Act to include the term “social media” as a documentary material, ensuring additional preservation of presidential communication and statements while promoting government accountability and transparency.

This is actually a good idea, and not just because of Trump, either. Since we have a new age in regards to social media, shouldn't public communication by a president, specifically in regards to social media posts, now be part of the presidential record?

I think so, and for good reason. The below has some very valid points concerning, especially, stated policy issues via social media (Twitter).

“In order to maintain public trust in government, elected officials must answer for what they do and say; this includes 140-character tweets,” said Rep. Quigley. “President Trump’s frequent, unfiltered use of his personal Twitter account as a means of official communication is unprecedented. If the President is going to take to social media to make sudden public policy proclamations, we must ensure that these statements are documented and preserved for future reference. Tweets are powerful, and the President must be held accountable for every post.”

In 2014, the National Archives released guidance stating its belief that social media merits historical recording. President Trump’s unprecedented use of Twitter calls particular attention to this concern. When referencing the use of social media, White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer has said, “The president is president of the United States so they are considered official statements by the president of the United States.”

Even Spicer says they are "official statements;" therefore, presidential records they should be.

Link
edit on 12-6-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

he said it, he owns it. Just as things Obama said, and just as things the next president will say.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I agree. They should be recorded for the National Archives. I don't think President Trump would have a problem with that at all!

And I love that it is to be called the COVFEFE ACT!

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

he said it, he owns it. Just as things Obama said, and just as things the next president will say.

Agreed, especially in the broader context of the historical record of a (any) presidency.
edit on 12-6-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
And when someone messes it up, they can all call it Covfefe'Gate' with their morning Coffee.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I'd say no matter what happens with any new law, Trump's twitter will live in infamy. You can't put the genie back into the bottle once you rub it three times.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I love it when someone makes politics...not boring to the masses.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
It's a nice idea and I appreciate it's comedic value as well.

-Alee

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

ALL ELECTED OFFICIALS should be made to wear live-streamed bodycams, imagine the money saved in the last 12 months alone - no need for commissions, their every move will be recorded. Then the least of their problems will be someone else's tweets

In hindsight, maybe Trump was sending out a code........

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

What does Comey have to do with this thread?

Nice deflection.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
So the only person on the internet to be held accountable for anything is the president?
That's only a few steps away from us being required to put our real name on a site like this...

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

A few steps? That's quite a big leap, there, from The President of the United States to...every single person...

:/

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

Cops are required to have cameras on them as well.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
a reply to: Sublimecraft

What does Comey have to do with this thread?

Nice deflection.

Regarding Sublimecraft's meme:
It appears to be an alternative acronym for 'covfefe', which is the centerpiece of your OP.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
LMAO.. TBT....Trump broke twitter.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Yeah, I got the point, that's why I called deflection (and off topic). This is not about Comey, but about the act, which has a very particular meaning about presidential tweets becoming part of the official presidential record, and nothing to do with Comey.

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Did you deduce from my post that I am against this Act, which you are clearly for? Did you? Is that what you did?

Or did the meme just piss you off therefore 'deflection' is all you got because you simply don't like me?

Come on - I'm big enough and ugly enough to take it - don't hold back now.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
he said it, he owns it. Just as things Obama said...

So true, we should combine them and make Covfefe the 57th state.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
It's already a law, do we really need yet another law? Just politicians wasting time and money.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
So I take it that the word COVFEFE actually refers to when you read something on the net and it causes you to cough the coffee all over the keyboard.
Never drink coffee when you are reading something funny or incredibly stupid.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join