It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WOW!...I had no idea!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
There were three rider deaths this year.

The Isle of Man is the definition of F'ing nuts. Much respect to the riders. The deaths turn my stomach, but these guys know what is at stake. They are the pinnacle of man and machine. As Ernest Hemingway said, there are only three sports - mountain climbing, motor racing, and bull fighting. Everything else is just games.

They are hitting around 190mph down the straights. Spectators are literally just feet away with no barriers. There are a few other crazy road races like this in Ireland too. The Norwest 200 is another but the Isle is the most famous.

What is also crazy is that these racers are pretty regular guys with normal day jobs. These aren't the millionaire MotoGP stars. Most of the motoGP guys won't touch the Isle.

One of the big personalities of the race, Guy Martin had a crash this year due to a mechanical failure causing him to hit a curb at like 140 mph and walked away pretty unscathed. However, he was clearly shook up. I think Dr. Death told him he is going to let him slide this time, but no more lives. I think this is going to be his last year. The self-preservation DNA must have turned on looking at him in the post crash interview. He normally has an IDGAF jolly attitude. He's crashed pretty spectacularly before but you can tell this was the last one... as he said "sliding down the road waiting for the big stop"

Guy Martin Crash & Interview

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Now THAT's...a need for speed...180 mph jeeeeeez

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: UKTruth

The riders must need a wheelbarrow to carry their 'cajones' around in!!

As a rider (dirt mostly) and former racer, I can say with complete certainty that this race would take nerves of titanium and courage almost beyond measure.

Forget the wheelbarrow, get the forklift!

My late father was a fan of Mike Hailwood-a legend of the isle of man and he built his own bike that Mike used and after being on the back of that beast i can safely say i'm surprised there hasn't any been more fatalities.

My fathers bike speedometer stopped at 120 mph, imagine nearly twice that speed on an undulating country road, if that doesn't make your rectum pucker afterwards then I don't know what will.
edit on 10-6-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-6-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Sheer lunacy in my opinion ... watching the wipeout takes was gut wrenching.

This need for speed is bordering on suicide wish and I don't even understand why it is legal. Even the fans watching are in danger of a fatality.

Not my cup a tea... but then again I'm old and set in my ways about what actually brings value to this planet.🤷🏻‍♀️

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Those bikes are turning 16,500 rpms and are barely even a rigid machine. They're so light and short they squirrel all over the place and if you look closely you can even see the frames flexing under the extreme torque and stresses. They're like riding a 300+ hp semi-rigid rubber band which just explodes into tiny pieces when it hits something.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Those bikes are turning 16,500 rpms and are barely even a rigid machine. They're so light and short they squirrel all over the place and if you look closely you can even see the frames flexing under the extreme torque and stresses. They're like riding a 300+ hp semi-rigid rubber band which just explodes into tiny pieces when it hits something.

You are speaking to the choir.

Racing teams in any motorsport overlook chassis integrity in favor of speed. Whenever I see these Isle of man riders get altitude I cringe because it's so hard to watch.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

The slow motion video shots are pretty impressive. You can see the tires compressing violently, the frame flex, and all the little shudders all over the bike. Not to mention the subtle and precise movements of the rider - slight brake taps, minute bar adjustments and shifting of body weight to stay on racing line.

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Amazing that people stay alive long enough to do some of these things!! Great to watch, but can't imagine participating!

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

It truly is amazing, isn't it...that people can even survive this "race"??!!

It is one of the few examples of true courage, in sport, exceeding monetary reward.

Facts is...very few humans on planet Earth will ever be able to say they had the "nuts" to go do this.... (edit...you can turn it loud, it's a good song!)

edit on 6/10/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Epic save. Man needs a new pair of underwear.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Isle of Man is the single greatest race, ever.

Have you seen the side-car races?
They are a lot of fun to watch.

posted on Jun, 15 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I'd never even try! For those that do, wow, what an accomplishment!! Very cool, for the folks fit enough and tough enough to get through.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join