It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabian Football Team Accused of Disrespecting Minutes Silence for Terror Attack Victims

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Yes, I have been reading and talking a lot about the recent events, and whilst I am no fan of Islam, or any organised religion for that matter. I can definitely understand why hate should not be thrown at those who don't deserve it. I have lots of opinions of my own about the recent events, but this thread is not about that. It is about communities and cultures coming together to combat such atrocities.

Fine, and yes, we have had a few, well publicised anti-terror demonstrations by all sections of the community, asking to refrain from directing any hate in a more general direction. I totally agree.

Then I saw this, and was really taken aback, I'm not even a football fan, but happened across this, (clicking from one site to another, as you do) and to be honest I am shocked..Football is usually such "stand shoulder to shoulder! type sport..or so I thought with my limited knowledge of football.

So, Here is the video and a short description about the situation. Are the Saudi team being disrespectful?

Today in Adelaide, a minute silence was called by the stadium announcer prior to Australia's 3-2 World Cup qualifier win over Saudi Arabia, but the latter team have been embroiled in controversy after they were spotted failing to follow their opponents in lining up and linking to honour those that lost their lives in London on 3 June.
Source and Video

The Saudi Arabian football team courted huge controversy before Thursday's World Cup Qualifier against Australia. Like in most international games this week there was a minute's silence in honour of the victims of the London terror attack at the Adelaide Oval. However Australia were not joined by their opponents, as the linked arms at the centre circle the Saudi Arabia side lined up in their positions and continued to warm up as normal. According to The Telegraph, the Saudia Arabian substitutes also failed to stand after the stadium announcer asked everyone to stand up. Supporters were shocked and began booing the Saudi players shortly afterwards. The unsavoury scenes before kick off led to an extremely ill-tempered encounter which Australia eventually won 3-2 after a winner from Celtic midfielder Tom Rogic. Viewers criticised the Saudi Arabia team for the lack of respect. Follow PG3_12
Source 2

Okay, so I'm not even going to mention the Daily Fail and Metro and their take on it, you can look that up for yourselves, but they seem to be attributing this to a cultural divide. No idea, but it just seems like a strange thing to do, given the current climate imo

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: destination now

My first thread in years and I got beat by 20 seconds. Such is my life...

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: UFO1414

Aww..star for you...It's usually me who gets beaten, if that's any consolation

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Very disrespectful indeed. Adding insult to injury they said the reason is ' it is not in keeping with our culture '

A spokesman for Football Federation Australia explained they were told a minute of silence was 'not in keeping with Saudi culture' ahead of the match Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Think it´s time for the former USA to attack Russia, China , NK or Iran then and to make SA to the world leader of freedom and friendship...

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: szino9

Disgusting culture, they should be uninvited to play in further matches if their "culture" is based on disrespect.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Personal experience has shown me that the Saudis as a collective do not practice what they tell everyone they preach,

I have seen more than a few high ranking Saudis totally sh1t faced on alcohol and drugs whilst clinging to hookers to see they are a fairly arrogant bunch that could not give a rat's ass about basic respect..

The stories I hear from expats working in Riyadh with my ties to the Philippines is totally shocking.

Am I surprised that they do not have the decency to pay respect to victims that where caused by their own peaceful religion?, no not really...

I know you cannot put a whole country into the same bracket, but from personal experience Saudi Arabia is right near the bottom of my travel bucket list, even below North Korea and the demographic republic of analprobestan...

RA

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
This isn't the first time Muslims disrespected the moment of silence. Back in 2015 Turkish soccer fans chanted "Allah Akbar" during a moment of silence for the Pairs victims.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I understand their response to a certain degree, in that they believe that's what their culture wants.

To me their team said "F U"

And that's fine they have every right to not participate, and the world has every right to form an opinion on that. Which perhaps they don't care about anyways.

I just find it sad because I know some out there will use this as a way to blanket all Muslims as disrespectful and wishing and happy for murder on all non Muslims.

Anyways I don't think I've ever personally met a Sunni Muslim so maybe that is the difference?

-Alee

edit on 6/8/2017 by NerdGoddess because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: szino9

Very disrespectful indeed. Adding insult to injury they said the reason is ' it is not in keeping with our culture '

A spokesman for Football Federation Australia explained they were told a minute of silence was 'not in keeping with Saudi culture' ahead of the match Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I wonder what happens when you do something in their country that doesn't align with their culture?

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: xenon129

Wow...didn't know about that...sigh, not good.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

To me their team said "F U"

I'm for world peace and finding peaceful solutions to these problems but I have the feeling that won't happen.

Given what is ramping up and continued attacks, some of these types are most likely going to get a big F U back courtesy of the Red, White and Blue. At least history seems to point in that direction.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
They want the west to hate them, it's pretty clear. Probably because they hate the west too.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: slider1982

Yes, I've met a few Saudi's in the past, and you're right, they certainly don't practice what they preach. I had a bunch of friends back in 95/96 who were training to be pilots and there were a few Saudi's in the group and their attitudes were quite shocking, they saw western women as sluts, yet were sitting in the clubs drinking rum and cola, smoking, dressed in club gear etc, yet one particular friend (who was devout and a decent guy) showed me a pic of them all when they had gone back to Saudi on holiday and they were all standing, in traditional Arab robes, in front of the mosque, as the epitome of purity..yeah right!

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Savages

Saudis have to be the worst.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The irony is that the "excuse" given only shows that they openly support Daesh!

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
If they had observed the moment many Islamists would've considered them "bad Muslims" which means attacking them, their family, their friends would be fair game. I've seen the same attitude when moderate Muslims had family from their original country visiting, their whole lifestyle would change while they were there. They were scared. I consider Islam a type of Mafia.

One of my moderate Turkish friends explained it all to me. Oldest son inherits the farm, next son is set up in a business any other sons are sent off to spread across the world and have lots of children and if they aren't able to to get on their feet and are close to being a disappointment to their family they are expected to gain paradise for their family by killing non-believers.

So if the football players were scared of repercussions they didn't observe the moment, or if they thought the terrorists had achieved paradise for their families they didn't observe it. That's their cultural difference.

STM

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Its football, some of the fans in Eastern Europe are horrendous, we've had our issues here in the UK. I'll tell you now, no stadium of football fans represents me ever in any way.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: seentoomuch
If they had observed the moment many Islamists would've considered them "bad Muslims" which means attacking them, their family, their friends would be fair game.

The only "muslims" who would have found fault with them not respecting those murdered by Daesh are those who support Daesh. Period.

And the only people who would have found fault with them not respecting other cultures and traditions are fascist bigots.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: szino9

Culture?

But I thought it was only a handful of extremists who thought that way and moderates were on our side?

But no, reality strikes again. The culture surrounding Islam despises the West. Australia should have cancelled the match on the spot and walked off.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join