It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine high school is apparently first in U.S. to get sports hijabs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule
a reply to: seasonal

I take it there is no separation of church and state in Maine.

Or does that only apply for Christians?

Paid for by donations. Read the OP.

They solicited private donations to avoid criticism for using taxpayer funds on religious apparel, and ended up with enough to outfit all teams, including lacrosse, soccer, volleyball, softball, field hockey and track.

So if the football team wanted to distribute bibles to the students that wanted them with collected donations, it would be perfectly fine?

What if the football team allowed the members who wanted to pray before a game?

I know that last one caused major issues at a school in the US.

edit on 8-6-2017 by DrStevenBrule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Since these were paid for privately, and not by the school, the Establishment Clause would not apply.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

They solicited private donations to avoid criticism for using taxpayer funds on religious apparel, and ended up with enough to outfit all teams, including lacrosse, soccer, volleyball, softball, field hockey and track.

So if the football team wanted to distribute bibles to the students that wanted them with collected donations, it would be perfectly fine?

Probably alright as long as the Bibles only go to Christians or kids who specifically ask for them.

Not cool.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Poor girls. It must be hot.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

The whole purpose of a hijab is to keep their men from raping the girls. An entire society which forces girls to cover themselves because the men are way too rapey to even look at them.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I think the material for these sports hijabs is the same material they use in Under Armor (may even be the company that made them). It's probably hot but that stuff does WONDERS at wicking sweat away.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

Id say the kids who organized this will do pretty well in the outside world. It's nice to see kids being able to stand up and do something, see it through, and enjoy the results of their work. Much better lessons than inglish lesens IMHO.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

If athletes aren't allowed to take performance enhancing chemicals, why should they be allowed divine intervention? Can't these kids play fair without asking for omnipotent help?

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

If athletes aren't allowed to take performance enhancing chemicals, why should they be allowed divine intervention? Can't these kids play fair without asking for omnipotent help?

LOL

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
So how do progressives square up supporting the students for being so inclusive by helping these girls get hijabs which by most measures are a symbol of female inequity?

Easy. It's not my place to tell them what they have to wear. If their religious beliefs dictate they have to wear that clothing and they opt to wear it then that is on them. It's all a part of freedom of religious expression.

No it isn't, but that still doesn't answer the question as to how on one hand you constantly hear about the "war on women", etc coming from the left, but then they also support a religion/culture that is oppressive to women.

Personally, I don't care if someone wants to play sports in whatever religious garb. However, I used to get annoyed at the Jesus lovers when I played sports putting Christ, God, and everything all on their uniforms, etc. But whatever.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
this is one of the things that make me so angry about the US , we cater to everyone but true Americans, i bet there are kids at that school who cant afford school supplies or new clothes or whatever but because that isn't main stream they dont worry about it. The rest of the world doesn't change the way it operates to please people who come there but here if you're a ###SNIPPED## you have more rights and freedom then the rest of us. I mean can you imagine if a christian women wanted to play sports and not wear a hijab in a Muslim country , lol wouldn't happen , the only thing she wouldn't have to worry bout wearing would be her head.
edit on Thu Jun 8 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: The END of Hate Speech, subtle or otherwise, on ATS

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

No it isn't, but that still doesn't answer the question as to how on one hand you constantly hear about the "war on women", etc coming from the left, but then they also support a religion/culture that is oppressive to women.

Yes. It is. Saying otherwise doesn't make it so. It's just as much a part of religious expression as a Jewish man wearing a Kippah.

As for your second point. I don't have to approve of the clothing choice because of its historical significance, but I DO have to respect their decision to wear one. I also have a problem with many ways that fundamental Christians treat girls or gay kids, but there is only so much I can do about it that wouldn't violate Freedom of Religion. So I just tolerate it instead.

Personally, I don't care if someone wants to play sports in whatever religious garb. However, I used to get annoyed at the Jesus lovers when I played sports putting Christ, God, and everything all on their uniforms, etc. But whatever.

As long as they don't shove their faith in other's faces I'm ok with it. It's not like the girls are forcing non-Muslim girls to wear the hijabs and they were all raised by donations.
edit on 8-6-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89
So . . . the school did not provide them. They were donated by student athletes. Basically the school did like every other school and allows the students to wear them if they want to.

There is no story here and the title is misleading.

Well, I guess it's all well and good for them- but I got in quite a bit of trouble wearing a hat- during lunch- outside- in the middle of a Maine winter.
Hats aren't allowed in school unless some major religion says it's okay.

If taxes had paid for these I'd be outraged, but as it stands I'm just mildly annoyed.

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule[/post]

Correct- the parts of Maine that aren't 99.9% white christian or atheist are overwhelmed with democrats and SJW's, anyone who moves in from out of country immediately get more rights than the locals. They're eligible for all sorts of taxpayer help, especially if they start a business. It also seems they get drivers licenses without having to pass the same test the rest of us need to pass.
Meanwhile, we've got one heck of a homelessness problem... almost always white males, often veterans.

It's a hard knock life in the city- move out into the sticks and life is still good.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Jesus H Christ, imagine the outrage if it were a community center fitness/sport class for old Eastern European women who wear their headscarves. Private donations to cover your hair with athletic-appropriate material? WHAT HORROR IS THIS!?

Not worth the panty-twisting, IMO. My late great-grandmother was never seen without her hair covered. Catholic woman, Polish-Russian 'rents. Hair was covered as dictated by the Old World customs, despite being born & raised here in the first half of the 20th century.
Suck on that old headscarf, suck on it real good.

Edit: As my husband says, "Here's your tampon, boys."
edit on 6/8/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

If it's their religious belief that dictates they wear it, they should pay for it. No if, and or buts.

No kidding. When I ran track, they provided our shorts and singlet. If we wanted a t-shirt or bicycle shorts underneath for more modesty or warmth, we had to provide those, and if we ran a relay, we had to coordinate to make sure each of us had the same color.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

So how do progressives square up supporting the students for being so inclusive by helping these girls get hijabs which by most measures are a symbol of female inequity?

Easy. It's not my place to tell them what they have to wear. If their religious beliefs dictate they have to wear that clothing and they opt to wear it then that is on them. It's all a part of freedom of religious expression.

This sums up exactly how I feel. That's why I love this country because they get to choose if they will wear it or not. Legally no one can force them, and if they are being forced they are free to speak up and say hey I feel oppressed, help me out.
I don't dictate who is oppressed and who isn't.

-Alee

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Two wrongs never make a right. Being bothered by this makes a person the same as those wanting to stop kids from having a voluntary prayer. Both things are very wrong minded and hateful.

I can't even believe this is a story, let alone one deserving discussion.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Legal or not, the fact that this is a discussion and pertinent to free societies tells us that this isn't going to end any time soon, and will only get worse. One day we'll be discussing those who refuse to wear hijabs, because they will be a minority.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac

Somalians started moving into the cities in droves over 20 years ago here in Maine, and have mostly taken over... Been seeing stuff like that for well over a decade. Wonder why they just chose to cover it now... Slow news day?

Lewiston and Portland are full of Africans, where I am down south in York county we have almost none. I always wondered why they choose to live in either cities. As far as the hijab issue, as long as it doesn't cost me taxes, go for it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join