It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine high school is apparently first in U.S. to get sports hijabs

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Girls are now comfortable when playing sports in Maine. Maine it the first state to provide hijabs to students.

www.cbsnews.com...
Muslim student athletes at one U.S. high school no longer have to be slowed down by worries that their headscarves might fall off.

Deering High School in Portland, Maine, is providing sport hijabs with the goal of making Muslim girls comfortable - and boosting their participation in sports. The lightweight scarves stay put and are less bulky than other hijabs, garments that cover the hair and are worn by many Muslim women to express their faith.

"We're more confident on the field," said junior lacrosse player Fadumo Adan. "This one doesn't fall off. No matter what I do, it won't fall off."

Co-captains on the tennis club rasied the money from donations. They raised enough $$ to outfit all sports where there are girls who had to wear them.

Tennis co-captains Liva Pierce and Anaise Manikunda raised more than $800 online to buy the sporty hijabs for their Muslim teammates after the school's athletic director learned of the product. They solicited private donations to avoid criticism for using taxpayer funds on religious apparel, and ended up with enough to outfit all teams, including lacrosse, soccer, volleyball, softball, field hockey and track.

The high school is believed to be the first in the United States to provide hijabs for Muslim athletes, as opposed to students providing their own headscarves, said Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Somalians started moving into the cities in droves over 20 years ago here in Maine, and have mostly taken over... Been seeing stuff like that for well over a decade. Wonder why they just chose to cover it now... Slow news day?

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

If it's their religious belief that dictates they wear it, they should pay for it. No if, and or buts.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

According to Islam.org these are some reasons to wear a Hijabs.

www.al-islam.org...
Hijab protects women from such men; it symbolizes that she has been sanctified to one man only and is off-limit to all others.

• Hijab contributes to the stability and preservation of marriage and family by eliminating the chances of extramarital affairs.

• Finally, it compels men to focus on the real personality of the woman and de-emphasizes her physical beauty. It puts the woman in control of strangers’ reaction to her.

edit on 8-6-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
They were paid for by donations, not taxes or anything else involuntary. I see no problem with this.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

edit on 8-6-2017 by GreenGunther because: problem solved by donations

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   
That's pretty cool that the schoolmates were willing to accommodate these women who choose to wear Hijab b/c of their religion or beliefs.

It's just nice to see some kids and adults in authority positions supporting these young women who in many cases are the minority at school.

Also I think some people missed this part about the students themselves raising the funds online privately to pay for their teammates sports hijabs when they found the product existed. That's camaraderie, that's the true meaning of teamwork if you ask me. The school didn't go out of their way to fund this, the students took it upon themselves to show their friends support.

They solicited private donations to avoid criticism for using taxpayer funds on religious apparel, and ended up with enough to outfit all teams, including lacrosse, soccer, volleyball, softball, field hockey and track.

-Alee

edit on 6/8/2017 by NerdGoddess because: I was going to add something else but decided against it due to having at least SOME class.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

www.al-islam.org...
Hijab protects women from such men; it symbolizes that she has been sanctified to one man only and is off-limit to all others.

• Hijab contributes to the stability and preservation of marriage and family by eliminating the chances of extramarital affairs.

• Finally, it compels men to focus on the real personality of the woman and de-emphasizes her physical beauty. It puts the woman in control of strangers’ reaction to her.

Sick and disgusting, where are the great women's rights movements.....the silence is deafening.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
That's pretty cool that the school was willing to accommodate these women who choose to wear Hijab b/c of their religion or beliefs.

It's just nice to see some kids and adults in authority positions supporting these young women who in many cases are the minority at school.

-Alee

No, it is disgusting, these women should be integrated into American society not segregated by barbaric dark age practices that have no place in modern times.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Sorry your prejudice gets in the way of seeing what a great gesture this is but the girls seem to be very happy that their fellow students came together to support them.

As for "disgusting", cutting a piece of a baby's penis off is pretty disgusting but it seems to be ok with most people. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone has to conform to your tastes.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
So . . . the school did not provide them. They were donated by student athletes. Basically the school did like every other school and allows the students to wear them if they want to.

There is no story here and the title is misleading.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

If it's their religious belief that dictates they wear it, they should pay for it. No if, and or buts.

yup just like everyone who wears a Cross around their neck.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDeLattre89
So . . . the school did not provide them. They were donated by student athletes. Basically the school did like every other school and allows the students to wear them if they want to.

There is no story here and the title is misleading.

I disagree on the non story part, I think it's a good story about compassion and understanding and teamwork, however the last paragraph the OP quoted certainly seemed misleading to me, though I fault the writers of the article for that, not the OP

The high school is believed to be the first in the United States to provide hijabs for Muslim athletes, as opposed to students providing their own headscarves, said Ibrahim Hooper, spokesman for the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Which made it seem like the school had actually funded this, when it was actually, as we see previously the students who rallied up the funds for their teammates.

-Alee

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

www.al-islam.org...

Paid for by donations so I don't care but I wanted to touch on the bull# reasons.
Ha
Basically cause men are dogs it says

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

Well.........honestly, I'd seriously suspect the "other" students didn't have much in the way of a choice.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
So how do progressives square up supporting the students for being so inclusive by helping these girls get hijabs which by most measures are a symbol of female inequity?

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
That's pretty cool that the school was willing to accommodate these women who choose to wear Hijab b/c of their religion or beliefs.

-Alee

No, it is disgusting, these women should be integrated into American society not segregated by barbaric dark age practices that have no place in modern times.

Where is your disgust for Jewish men wearing Kippah's or Amish people all being forced to wear conservative clothes?

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
So how do progressives square up supporting the students for being so inclusive by helping these girls get hijabs which by most measures are a symbol of female inequity?

Easy. It's not my place to tell them what they have to wear. If their religious beliefs dictate they have to wear that clothing and they opt to wear it then that is on them. It's all a part of freedom of religious expression.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I take it there is no separation of church and state in Maine.

Or does that only apply for Christians?

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrStevenBrule

I take it there is no separation of church and state in Maine.

Or does that only apply for Christians?

Paid for by donations. Read the OP.

They solicited private donations to avoid criticism for using taxpayer funds on religious apparel, and ended up with enough to outfit all teams, including lacrosse, soccer, volleyball, softball, field hockey and track.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join