It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteor exploding in the Earth's atmosphere

page: 1

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Although the video is short and sweet, 30 seconds, its a decent one.

It was shot by Wes Eisenhauer in Custer, South Dakota on 10-16-2014.

He commented, "I pointed my camera at the sky and couldn't believe what I saw when I looked at the footage."

Not much else i can add really, just enjoy the video.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Wow! Stunning footage!!

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Gods Chemtrail...

Thanks for bringing it!

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

The video was originally posted in 2014 but that isn't a criticism as it is pretty spectacular footage and the first time I've seen something like that.

As it's an older video there is information from back then for anyone interested.

While on a family holiday in the woods in Custer, South Dakota, Wes Eisenhauer set up his camera on a clear, but rather uneventful night in hopes of getting some shots of the Milky Way. 'The sky was incredibly clear and free of any light pollution so I set my camera up, composed the shot, and let my camera click for about an hour while I went inside,' Wes told MailOnline.

'I didn't even look at the pictures for about a week,' he wrote.
'Then I decided to upload them and have a look - and discovered the meteor.'
Upon replaying his time-lapse footage, he spotted the quick movement and sudden pop as the space rock appears to break apart in the sky.
Meteors can travel at speeds up to 50 miles per second and when they disperse - in this instance, into a ring of dust - it happens in a flash.
'I randomly set my camera up and pointed it at that portion of the sky at that very moment,'
www.dailymail.co.uk... sphere-explodes-ring-dust.html

That night sky is incredible and makes me want to live in South Dakota.

edit on 8-6-2017 by gortex because: forgot the link

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Great find!

I watched it no less than 20 times, most of it being in the slowest motion YouTube has to offer (.25) and on full screen. It's truly fascinating watching it frame by frame. It's as though it was there in only an instant and gone... poof!

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
looks like it hit the dome....

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Awesome footage.

I work nights in dark, rural areas and sometimes see awesome fireballs.

Always too late to pull out the camera though.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Spectacular footage, the little event lasted just seconds.. lucky shot!

That night sky is beautiful and mesmerizing, living in the city sucks!

Thanks for sharing this, would make a wonderful GIF if I knew how to download the video and such

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Loop that video or lay on your back and watch the sky to this 45 minuet soundtrack for star gazing by none other than Explosions in the Sky.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 03:52 PM
link   
That is the most incredibly beautiful timelapse movie I've seen. Amazing it caught that puff of dust as the meteorite hit the atmosphere.

You'll see these fireballs anywhere. It's just a matter of being outside and looking upwards. I've seen fireballs in Canada while waiting for a bus at a shopping mall, while walking past the train station in Trondheim, and walking home in the South of England. It's amazing to see that trail of bluish white sparks while the rest of the world around you is more concerned about traffic lights and pedestrians crossing.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
What an extraordinary recording!

Known facts:
- The video was made from 120 consecutive still images taken over 1 hour.
- Exposure time was ~30 seconds for each image (probably with a high ISO).
- Images were taken between approximately midnight and 1 AM.
- The camera was facing north-west (north is to the right).
- The field of view is ~120° (very wide angle).

Some quick & dirty analysis:
- The detonation occurred ~4° north & slightly west of the bright star Vega.
- The event was ~23° above the horizon.
- Detonation occurred at roughly 12:20 AM MDT.
- The ring we see is not the shock-wave from the detonation. Had the high-altitude shock-wave been visible, it would have been smeared by the 30 second exposure, and would have expanded out of the frame in only 2-3 exposures.
- The ring is probably the expanding incandescent vaporized material from the meteor.
- After ~30 minutes the material cools and disperses to the point where it is no longer visible.
- From the asymmetric way the ring expands - very quickly to the upper-right, and hardly moving at all to the lower-left, we can surmise that the object was moving from the lower-left to the upper right.
- After 10 minutes, the lateral diameter of the ring (that is, perpendicular to the assumed direction of motion) is ~10°.
- Assuming a detonation altitude of ~40 miles (which would make a slant-range from the camera of ~120 miles),
the lateral width of the ring after 10 minutes is ~10.5 miles.
- This would mean the ring had expanded laterally at ~30-35 miles per hour. Up-range it is hardly expanding at all. Down-range it is expanding at several times the lateral rate (>120 mph).

I'm wondering if the material heading down-range ricocheted off the atmosphere and is moving back up (at least for a little while)?

As Phage would say, "So bitchin'!"

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Awesome video...

From the slow motion video the explosion aftermath almost looks like the bat signal.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
It puts up a visual aid for the theory of panspermia.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Saint Exupery
Great video and also thanks for the nice analysis!

new topics

top topics

join