It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I lawyer up?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Look2theSacredHeart

Find work somewhere else.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I would not get a lawyer, it could backfire on you.

You do not have enough evidence and when it is over I would bet you will be fired within six months after your court.

My recommendation? Find a new job....your days are numbered at this job..

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Why not. Money from human misery is the bloodsucking industry's meat and drink.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:49 AM
link   

Find out what the law is. Inform them. Pray to God they retaliate, sue for just compensation.

Lawyer can get up to 40%. Employer would almost always settle before court if fines and adjustments can be huge. Class action is better but tricky.

If they owe you money, they pay double back plus fines in many states. Each state has additional guidelines beyond federal labor regulations.

In NY we have the wage theft prevention act. One of the provisions states that while accounting can vary in internal system used, the basic info must be correct. Book keeping and records must be acurate and match employee records. Rate of pay, type of pay, OT, PTO, and so on....title....

If your pay stub is wrong, then its wrong. Period. It cant be. Period.

The problem for employers comes in fines. Damages vary acording to where you are but things like pay stub errors are finable offences that can be stacked on top of other fines with already set amounts in damages. Then its per employee..... Thats why most settle.

edit on 6 8 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Look for another job.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Look2theSacredHeart
Last year, the place I work announced they were switching to a market based system. The office manager, who hates me, promptly changed my job description to vague nonsense and lower level tasks, against the wishes of my supervisor. Then I left for maternity leave. Upon return, I still do the same job as before.

On my annual eval, I described the inaccuracies and omissions. The head boss, above my supervisor and the office manager, signed my eval. So did her even more Superior boss.

Now, six months later, I don't get a raise. The bad job description rammed through indicates I make more than I ought. Ridiculous.

Should I find a lawyer? I just want my pay to match what I do.

I'm not even lying here.

I'm waiting for my exit interview for all the bad stuff because I know how my boss is. Plus literally everyone else reams him in evals. Even in other departments! But I w
Always play nice and give something vague for him to work on.

In four years I have bumped 15k. I'm not saying my way is best, but it is for my situation. Those evals in a small business like mine are read by the owner and then he talks to my boss.

To answer, no, don't even waste your time or money. Look for another job if you want. All they have to do is make something up or point to anything as to why. Or just say it wasn't in the budget etc etc.... you are not entitled to a raise.

This is coming from a US mindset, so if you are not here then, don't take what I said to heart because it may apply differently.

Best of luck!

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Wildmanimal

There are a thousand reasons that you might should have legal recourse..

Say your a manager/owner and your a crazy bully... or you are lonley and sabotage any people that start dating.. or your just evil and like getting people fired for fun..

I think the worst mistake America made was allowing the political elites to convince us of stuff that's not even logical..

All unions are evil, right to work doesn't mean right to fire you for no reason, Tort reform is good for the consumer, we should abolish min wage and just trust big buisness to pay more for fun, they are conning to get your guns, the war on drugs, exc , exc,

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
OP. Go to your boss Directly. Tel him the situation in a calm and collected manner. Some bosses are actually reasonable if you talk to them respectfully.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

If there is a demonstrable systemic issue of underpaying certain persons due to discriminatory practices you have a better chance via a class action or civil suit.

I love it when people think they are wielding great power when they threaten a "class action." Typical "I watch Chicago Law and Law and Order so I'm an expert" ignorance. First, big companies love class actions. Instead of fighting 2000 battles against the 2000 people they screwed, they only have to fight and beat 1 person. They only have to hire and pay 1 lawyer for 1 case instead of 2000 lawyers for 2000 cases. They only have to convince 12 jurors instead of 24,000 jurors. Class actions are much, much more expensive for the claimant than the company they sue. The claimant (plaintiff) has to go through and fund FRCP 23 class certification, and fund multiple notifications to all other members of the class. In a typical case, the class representative funds 100% of the costs of litigation but gets, if there are 2000 members of the class, 1/20th of one percent of the recovery.
The other ignorance demonstrated in your response was to ignore the fact that most discrimination statutes provide that the attorney's fees of a winning claimant are paid by the loser who discriminated.
So, the best advice is to quit asking a bunch of conspiracy theory lovers what to do and go ask a lawyer.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: F4guy

I love it when some internet winner thinks a class action needs to be thousands of people because he watched too much television. I was in a class action and it involved a grand total of 8 people.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I love it when some internet winner thinks a class action needs to be thousands of people because he watched too much television. I was in a class action and it involved a grand total of 8 people.

I'm surprised the class was certified. One of the requirements under FRCP 23 is that the group be so numerous that it is impractical or impossible to identify them. If all members of a "class" can be identified and joined under Rule 20, the class will not be certified. The actual Rule 23 language is, "One or more members of a class may sue or be sued as representative parties on behalf of all members only if
1) the class is so numerous that joinder of all members is impracticable..." A typical class action would be if a toothpaste manufacturer sells tubes marked 12 ounces but only puts 10 ounces in there and sells 600,000 tubes to unidentifiable consumers, cheating each out of one-sixth of the purchase price. One person who bought a tube could sue as class representative for the total amount of the cheated money. If he wins, all the money, after payment of fees and costs would go into trust for everyone who bought a tube to make claims against for their 25 cents each.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Guess you learned something today.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

My boss is wonderful. I did just that, and she was very supportive and pragmatic.

I will have to look for another job if they dead end me like this, but I love working for her.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Awwwwriiigghhhhhttttt....giggidy.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Yes, people do really nasty things socially.
When these occur in a work environment
your response need to be delicate, or you can be
the one who gets #canned.

There are other methods...
www.youtube.com...

Have a nice trip to the resurrection.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join