It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain's Nuclear Powered Submarines Running Windows XP

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Also, as someone else stated, having old technology actually helps make it secure. Windows XP is officially no longer supported by Microsoft, which means no new patches or updates, which means no new potential vulnerabilities. All the vulnerabilities that may exist now are all that will ever exist, and they are known and can be patched. There are no new security concerns.

As soon as you start updating and downloading new software updates it opens the door to possible unknown vulnerabilities being added. Which is a security concern. A constant one.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Imagine. Nuclear sub with XP gets ransomware. Only asks for 400$ in bitcoin (0.15ish).

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: toysforadults

XP was a good OS , as long as the Navy are paying for the updates I don't see the problem.

And there is XP Pro, I dare say that is what is run, perhaps ideal for logistics etc. It is the Intranet anyway.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Military funding. 600+ billion dollars = pennies. Lmao. Send half a cent my way please!
edit on 7-6-2017 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

If you actually believe that a British Nuclear Submarine can be compromised by a problem with programing related to a shell program it happens to be using?

You have no real idea as to what it is you are talking about.

Literally it would not have a problem at all if it was running on Windows 3.1 or just DOS for that matter.

edit on 7-6-2017 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Nuclear Submarines were originally suggested as possible in 1939...

en.wikipedia.org...

The "Turin Machine" was proposed in 1936...

www.computerhope.com...

In other words Nuclear Submarine's as not actually dependent on computers.

Any thoughts?

edit on 7-6-2017 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 10:07 PM
link   

But 15-20% would be somehow ok???

Lets illustrate the sheer craziness of the monies expended on federal military defence.

The lie my friend, simply put is that America, just like my own fair nation are the good guys these days.

Fact of the matter is that the current political establishment that control your country, in league with there banker compares, are hell bent on world domination.

Which is a shame because when it inevitable all goes breasts up, it's the people who will ultimately have to pay the piper, most lightly in blood sweat and tears.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai

If you actually believe that a British Nuclear Submarine can be compromised by a problem with programing related to a shell program it happens to be using?

You have no real idea as to what it is you are talking about.

Literally it would not have a problem at all if it was running on Windows 3.1 or just DOS for that matter.

I think you misunderstood what I was talking about. I certainly didn't say what you are characterizing I said.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

But 15-20% would be somehow ok???

Lets illustrate the sheer craziness of the monies expended on federal military defence.

The lie my friend, simply put is that America, just like my own fair nation are the good guys these days.

Fact of the matter is that the current political establishment that control your country, in league with there banker compares, are hell bent on world domination.

Which is a shame because when it inevitable all goes breasts up, it's the people who will ultimately have to pay the piper, most lightly in blood sweat and tears.

The only lie here was that 57% number you initially said that I corrected. Everything else is your opinion, which I pointed out is based on faulty info. Stop derailing the thread with your uninformed opinions.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

£611 billion dollars and you wish to quibble over the percentage, says it all really.

Stop sidestepping the issue and address the fact that both your own nation and my own are hell bend on serving the the military industrial complex rather than there own people.

Don't matter if its 15%, 20% or 57% it should not be happening given the state of both our nations and the fact that a significant proportion of the people who reside in said nations reside below the breadline or exist on a minimum wage.

Christ you not even sure of your own figure! Then again with Trump at the helm of the US i imagine a lot of people are not sure of much considering the moronic buffoon cannot even finish a train of though without going off at a tangent.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Which figure am I unsure of? You're making # up. Private message me if you want to discuss it further, I refuse to continue derailing this thread.

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   

There your figures face23785, how can i tell you which figure you are unsure of?
LoL

Tell you what through, ile have a stab at it, its ether 15% o 20% you are unsure of.

I'm sticking with my original. x

posted on Jun, 9 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Except it wasn't XP that was hacked. It was computers running windows 7 missing a security patch.

link

posted on Jun, 10 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Windows? What does XP stand for? Chi Rho?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join