It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You're Gonna Love Your Nuts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
blog.brainhq.com...

a new study in over 100,000 people has found that eating all kinds of nuts may help you live longer. The study, from Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital, examined the nut consumption habits and death rates of over 75,000 women and over 42,000 men. Of this large cohort, those who regularly ate nuts were found to be less likely to die from diseases like cancer, respiratory failure, or heart disease. People who ate nuts daily had a 20% lower death rate compared to people who didn’t eat nuts. Of course, this is a correlative study, so it’s not totally clear that nuts are the silver bullet for longevity. Still, a finding from a study with this many participants definitely merits further research and some serious consideration

www.health.harvard.edu...

“We found that people who ate nuts every day lived longer, healthier lives than people who didn’t eat nuts,” said study co-author Dr. Frank Hu, professor of nutrition and epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health. The report, in tomorrow’s New England Journal of Medicine, showed that daily nut-eaters were less likely to die of cancer, heart disease, and respiratory disease. Overall, the daily nut-eaters were 20% less likely to have died during the course of the study than those who avoided nuts. (Peanuts, which are actually legumes, counted as nuts in this study). The findings were gleaned from nearly 120,000 participants in the Nurses’ Health Study and the Physician’s Health Study. All answered questions about their diets at the beginning of the studies in the 1980s and then every two to four years during 30 years of follow-up. The researchers classified the participants into six categories that ranged from never eating nuts to eating them seven or more times per week. The more often people ate nuts, the lower their risk of premature death

And apparently that wasn't the only study:

The findings echo those of earlier studies, according to Dr. Penny Kris-Etherton, professor of medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, who highlighted nut research at this week’s American Heart Association meeting in Dallas, Texas. “Eating nuts lowers LDL (“bad” cholesterol), raises HDL (“good” cholesterol) and also lowers blood pressure and blood pressure responses to stress,” said Dr. Kris-Etherton. Her research also shows that nut consumption helps boost a process called reverse cholesterol transport, by which HDL particles in the blood sweep away fatty plaque from clogged arteries. The Harvard researchers pointed out that the composition of nuts—fiber, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals—may provide “cardioprotective, anticarcinogenic, antiinflammatory, and antioxidant properties.” Worried that eating nuts might make you fat, since they’re high in fat? In fact, frequent nut eaters were less likely to gain weigh in this and other studies. “Nuts are high in protein and fiber, which delays absorption and decreases hunger,” said Dr. Hu, adding that nuts contain mostly unsaturated healthy fats.

So chow down on those walnuts, peanuts, almonds, etc. You're gonna love your nuts.

edit on 7-6-2017 by DrogoTheNorman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: DrogoTheNorman

I eat a handful of raw almonds every day.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I've been trying to tell people about this.

You might want to soak them firsy.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Great so now I have to give up Cashews and Dry Roast Peanuts because they'll make me live longer ?

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I have to confess my nut consumption usually involves chocolate. Almond M & M's ARE the best candy in the world. There is no need for you to argue this point with me because I AM right.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Lol.

Go for almonds, pistachios, walnuts, hazelnuts and macadamias.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Mike Stivic

That's the best way to eat nuts lol

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Discotech

Great so now I have to give up Cashews and Dry Roast Peanuts because they'll make me live longer ?

To shorten your lifespan just eat these instead. They are still nuts technically.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrogoTheNorman
I have to confess my nut consumption usually involves chocolate. Almond M & M's ARE the best candy in the world. There is no need for you to argue this point with me because I AM right.

Sometimes you feel like a nut

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Double posted😣

edit on 7-6-2017 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

so do the people who eat nuts daily and are 20 % less likely to die....are they immortal? how long can they live on their pension? Are they also disease free?

Junk science at its finest. And this study doesn't even pretend if they know if the nuts are responsible for the immortality or not.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

The study does admit that it's a correlation and not causation, but in my humble opinion "It couldn't hurt."

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Forgive the pun, but I am something of a health NUT and fitness buff and I concur 100% with everything you said.

EXCEPT for the fact that peanuts are not nuts -- they're legumes (beans) and if one is engaged in a targeted diet, they should be treated accordingly.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I eat a lot of peanuts, they help to keep me regular. No other fiber food works as well as they do. I also like cashews, and other mixed nuts, especially hazelnuts. But I do not like almonds, to me it tastes like there is something wrong with them. For me to say that almonds are not good when I really like almost all nuts, there must be something bad for me in them. I will eat a little of them sometimes, but have always avoided almonds,

Sunflower seeds are also good but if I eat too much my skin starts to feel like I am getting pinched with tweezers. Too much of some amino acid in them I suppose, or maybe the type of oil. I suppose if I didn't eat a quarter pound of them when I eat sunflower seeds, I might not have a problem with them.

But how many people die from inhaling a peanut or nut into the wrong pipe.

edit on 7-6-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrogoTheNorman

The sugar and fat you're consuming completely negates the nutritional value of the almonds...

Just sayin'.

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

yes it can - if you have or develop nut allergies.

or you can get obese from eating nuts and die of a heart attack or diabetes.

if you decide to eat nuts, what nutrients will you displace to try and reduce you risk of death (how is that again - the risk of death is no longer 100% Science is amazing.

And who funded this study. was it perhaps the nut industry, hoping to boost sales a bit. Or some scientist seeking funding and or tenure.

Money spent funding this kind of crap could also be used for cancer reserch or climate change. Or how about we stop funding nonsense and just leave the tax money to the taxpayer so that he can afford his groceries.àà

it hurts in ways that you just have not thought about.

why would you want to encourage this crap. We should be sending in emails that laugh and make fun of them

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TiredofControlFreaks

Money spent funding this kind of crap could also be used for cancer reserch or climate change. Or how about we stop funding nonsense and just leave the tax money to the taxpayer so that he can afford his groceries.àà

it hurts in ways that you just have not thought about.

why would you want to encourage this crap. We should be sending in emails that laugh and make fun of them

Climate change is definitely junk science. I'd believe the nut study before I'd believe anything having to do with climate change.

And cancer? They would have cured cancer decades ago except that the medical profession, pharmaceutical industry, etc., make too darn much money from "treating" it. Who cares if the person dies as long as they spend a million dollars with us to stay alive another six months?

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I guess the idea of letting people keep more of their money went right over your head.

This study is nothing more than advertising dressed up in a white coat.

Is there anyone in the world who did NOT know that nuts were good for you. We have already paid public health and the people who develop food guidelines to tell us that nuts are good for us. Do we really need to pay someone else

What exactly did this study add to any body of knowledge. That people who live longer are also the same as those who eat well Did we not already know that.

Garbage is garbage. advertising is advertising. Lets cut down on this garbage and stop breathlessly repeating it to each other and imposing our opinions on other peoples diet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join