It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana Muslims call out creators of local billboard that insults Prophet Muhammad

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Looks like a bill board with racially insensitive-possible out of context-facts or non facts was put up in Indiana.

Shahid said the billboard, which she saw on southbound I-465 near the Washington Street exit, was brought to her attention Friday by an anonymous tipster.

The all black billboard has a headline of "The Perfect Man." Underneath are six bullet points to describe that man. These points include "married a 6-year-old," "slave owner & dealer" and "13 wives, 11 at one time."

At the bottom of the billboard in yellow sits the words "Educate Truthophobes." A search of Truthophobes online leads to multiple anti-Muslim groups, specifically an Australian group with similar messaging.
Faryal Khatri, a spokeswoman for the Indianapolis-based Islamic Society of North America, says not only is the billboard not true, it is hurtful to her as a practicing Muslim.

To Khatri, the most disappointing aspect of the sign is that it could incite hate crimes toward Muslims or people perceived to be Muslim.
www.indystar.com...

There are people who feel this could lead to "hate crimes" against Muslims and people who are perceived to be Muslim. Seems like other religions are told to respect freedom of speech.

+36 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Free expression.

*shrugs*

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize".
-Voltaire (?)

+13 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Funny Muslims or Islam is not even mentioned on the Billboard.

Sounds like he ones interpreting it are the ones with bias.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Correct, are some religions off limits to quote facts about and protected by law?

If so that is an endorsement of a religion, by the state, from the story.

Indiana representative Andre Carson said he believes the billboard is untrue and that the billboard's author takes Islamic text and history out of context "just like Al-Qaeda, ISIS and the Klan do to religious texts to justify their bigotry."

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Meh, I've seen local Muslim billboard that claim to tell the truth about Jesus and the Bible and can be pretty inflammatory too, but I don't see a lot of pitchforks coming out of the Christians on it.

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Should I post images of Billboards that are state sanctioned and full-retard in nature?

Don't like it, don't look at it. Don't share my opinion? Tell someone who G.A.F.

This is too easy when you adopt the logic of the left.

Anyone who does not like the Billboard is an intolerant bigoted racist.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I assume it is referring to Mohamed. It may be insulting but if it is true or at least true according to the Koran, then tough noogies. She has the right to be offended. That and $3.50 will get her a Starbuck's coffee.

Remember in the late 80's or early 90's when an "artist" who was funded by taxpayer money put a crucifix in a jar of urine? Many people were offended. Debate raged about the NEA. But he was still allowed to do it.

I have never heard of the "truthophobe" movement and likely won't support large parts of their mission statement if the article you posted is accurate. However, I support their right to pay their money to put up such a billboard.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: DrStevenBrule

Good point-

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
someone is upset that some is lying about fiction?

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

10 out of 10 comment-

Tell someone who G.A.F

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Once again, people actually believe that becoming offended imbues them with the ability to silence others opinions.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
It's ok to be concerned given recent incidents. Just like how some Christians are concerned about anti-Christian billboards.
This is just them trying to correct misconceptions.

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Muhammad was a scumbag, sorry the truth offends some people. All the things liberals criticize America for, Muhammad and Islam are guilty of far worse, yet liberals rush to their defense. Twisted.

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Wait a second!!!!!
Are you telling me Muslims are offended by something???

This is a complete revelation…
Muslims are generally the most open-minded, high-minded, egalitarian, liberal, and forward thinking people on earth…

This is really perplexing...

A story like this has to be fake news if it calls into question islams outstanding track record on free speech...

Their societies are utopian… ESPECIALLY if you're gay or a woman…

I just can't get over the befuddling nature of this story...
It is unlike any of the thousands upon thousands of historical examples I've studied where Islam is tolerant, loving, and entirely welcoming to anti-Muslim speech...

-Chris
edit on 6-6-2017 by Christosterone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Hope this doesn't turn into a cartoon situation.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

If we ever become afraid to express ourselves, then freedom lost.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Unfortunately the activities of Mohammed were not fiction. But thanks for knee-jerk attempt at lame antitheism!

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Islam isn't a race.

a reply to: Lysergic

edit on 6-6-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
It's ok to be concerned given recent incidents. Just like how some Christians are concerned about anti-Christian billboards.
This is just them trying to correct misconceptions.

Did I say I was concerned about them?

No.

I said that if they don't like anti-Islamic ones, they shouldn't go out of their way to offend with their own.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: Lysergic

Unfortunately the activities of Mohammed were not fiction. But thanks for knee-jerk attempt at lame antitheism!

My favorite historical account of the prophets life is how he came to have his most beloved wife, Aisha..
She was, without a doubt, the greatest bride in the history of the world...
If not the greatest bride, can we agree she was the greatest 6 year old wife???
Mother of All Believers she would later be called...

Y'all should google her...
Her story really tells you all u need to know about the prophet[blessings upon him]

-Chris

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join