It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

States and Cities Defying Federal Laws - It's Epidemic This Year.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Is it Legal for State and Local governments to defy Federal Law? I've never seen so many go against the wishes of the Federal government, like we're seeing this year. Three examples:

1. Over 118 Cities are willfully ignoring United States Immigration Laws.
www.breitbart.com...

2. Almost 100 Cities are defying President Trump's decision to leave the Paris Climate Change consortium of nations.
www.foxnews.com...

3. Several states will not accept ObamaCare repeal-replace. They are going to force insurance companies to keep all the ObamaCare mandates. The latest is New York, who is also adding Abortions to the list of mandated insurance benefits.
www.newsday.com...

I realize that "United STATES of America" infers that each state wields a great deal of autonomy. But when does a state "go rouge" to the point where it can be financially punished, or even ejected from the union, for not following the rules of the house? Who makes that determination and decision..the Supreme Court?

-CareWeMust

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Isnt this how your civil war started?

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Article VI, Paragraph 2 of the U.S. Constitution is commonly referred to as the Supremacy Clause. It establishes that the federal constitution, and federal law generally, take precedence over state laws, and even state constitutions. It prohibits states from interfering with the federal government's exercise of its constitutional powers, and from assuming any functions that are exclusively entrusted to the federal government. It does not, however, allow the federal government to review or veto state laws before they take effect.

www.law.cornell.edu...

Most of the time the red tape is ripped through by loss of federal dollars.

The marijuana argument is something coming from the opposite direction. Whereas there are plenty of constituents that are against the federal law but requires no funding from federal dollars. Just an example.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Simply put ... the US is broken!

If you look around at the rest of the developed Western Nations, they are all on a slide to the same oblivion.

The system does not work.

In fact, we are going backwards to the days of serfdom. Only now, the Government has taken the role of the Lord of the Estate.

Our current system has no remaining checks against the greed of big business. That alone will be the undoing of our society.

We need a new society and not the one they want to foist on us.

P

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Don't forget all those rebellious Marijuana states!

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   

The states should have been doing this decades ago.

But IMHO, there are much bigger issues: the BATFE, the IRS, the EPA, civil asset forfeitures, drug laws etc.

edit on 6-6-2017 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
Isnt this how your civil war started?

Yup

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   

The United States would be better off breaking in to smaller pieces. I don't have the same values or priorities as people on the coasts.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I like to see pro states-rights movement, even if its liberals not realizing what they are doing.

At some point, the regions are just going to have to be divided up into more of a confederacy. Not the civil war one, i just mean as a type of government. And each region will largely decide for itself how to run things. National governenance will have to retreat to the basics...a national military, currency...

Thats my long term prediction. Looks like I agree with Metallicus on this.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

That is a tenth amendment issue

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Looks like these Anti-America Federal Judges are more numerous than cockroaches in the slums.

President Trump signed an Executive Order in January, to withhold funds from cities that sign on as "Sanctuary Cites".

In April a Federal Judge BLOCKED President Trump's executive order.

www.chicagotribune.com...

President Trump deserves a medal for determination and restraint. The courts, media, and Republican Congress don't really give a damn about improving the lives of American citizens.
edit on 6/6/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   

I've met quite a few judges in my time on this earth and I can say this. My opinion would be that those judges are doing what they think is right within the eyes of the law. Having said that, I do not think the SCOTUS will shoot down the ban. The POTUS has that power given to the office by congress.

Now I understand you are a huge fan of DJT. I think it be prudent to think about how you put him on a pedestal less you wish to follow in the steps laid fourth by Obama and his acolytes. To each their own.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

It's interesting that the USA is nowhere near the top of the list of countries where citizens have "the best quality of life".

Surprisingly..or may not, CANADA is ranked #1 in the World.

Full List: www.usnews.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

Don't forget all those rebellious Marijuana states!

Unfortunately, I haven't followed the Marijuana movement. Are there states where it is legal to buy it, like you buy cigarettes?

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: pirhanna
I like to see pro states-rights movement, even if its liberals not realizing what they are doing.

At some point, the regions are just going to have to be divided up into more of a confederacy. Not the civil war one, i just mean as a type of government. And each region will largely decide for itself how to run things. National governenance will have to retreat to the basics...a national military, currency...

Thats my long term prediction. Looks like I agree with Metallicus on this.

The zones have already been divided.. with regional governors. Interestingly enough, it was drawn up by FEMA in the event of a disaster. I dont think we want the sort of disaster that will put this plan into effect. 10 regions with 10 governors... who make up the council of governors

If your hair isnt standing on end yet... theres more.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 01:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

The United States would be better off breaking in to smaller pieces. I don't have the same values or priorities as people on the coasts.

Are there states that take more from the union, than contribute to the union? Are there any states that, if jettisoned, would lessen the load on those that remain? (i.e. They wouldn't be missed by most of us?)

If the USA broke into smaller pieces, how would the National Parks, and US Highway system be maintained? What about defense against Iran and North Korea?
edit on 6/6/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: pirhanna

Ah...I see. So D.C. would still play a role in the BIG picture of protection, currency, etc.. That's cool.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: Metallicus

Are there states that take more from the union, than contribute to the union? Are there any states that, if jettisoned, would lessen the load on those that remain? (i.e. They wouldn't be missed by most of us?)

If the USA broke into smaller pieces, how would the National Parks, and US Highway system be maintained? What about defense against Iran and North Korea?

Each of the governors advises and communicates with Homeland, Nat Guard, and the Defense Sec.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

The travel ban still, to this very day doesn't make sense to me, because it's only 90 or 120 days. We've just gone through almost 120 days with President Trump. No Travel Ban...No Problems. A temporary travel ban is like wearing sunscreen for a few weeks, but not using it the rest of your life. What's the point?

I'm not a huge fan of Donald Trump. I'm a YUGE fan of Donald Trump.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Did you see his recent tweets?
I'm expecting the ban will be upheld at SCOTUS, and with that win, a new ban put in place after they say there is no way they can properly vet people from those countries.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join