It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obsolete - The Future Doesn't Need Us

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Many of us know that something is wrong. Most of us know that something has to change. Most of us know that something is going on that is being kept from us. All of us have our own ideas about what that is. I thought I had some idea, but after watching this documentary, I am not so sure what to think.

The video is about 45 minutes long. It is well worth the time to watch. Much of what they share, we know about, or have heard about, but most of us just have not connected the dots. Or looked at the puzzle under the right light.

I think this video has a lot of answers. Unfortunately, it will also leave you with a lot of questions.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Many of us know that something is wrong. Most of us know that something has to change. Most of us know that something is going on that is being kept from us.

Yes, the depopulation agenda. Notice, how little has been said on this in recent years. Notice also there is a big push to vaccinate everyone. Why would they work to improve the health and longevity of the population knowing there is an ever increasing population and and ever declining economy particularly for new generations?

there is only two ways this can be resolved, in my view, one, to extract a reasonable living for a large part of the population even though they don't work, or reduce the population....... using vaccines.

The first requires the over throw of the doctrines of the extremely, powerful financial services industry and so it unlikely to succeed at least in the short term, so I don't see that happening which leaves .........

Can you see the dots?

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Thought I was going to see this...

The Obsolete Man

Twilight Zone 1961

Opening Narration:
"You walk into this room at your own risk, because it leads to the future, not a future that will be but one that might be. This is not a new world, it is simply an extension of what began in the old one. It has patterned itself after every dictator who has ever planted the ripping imprint of a boot on the pages of history since the beginning of time. It has refinements, technological advances, and a more sophisticated approach to the destruction of human freedom. But like every one of the super-states that preceded it, it has one iron rule: logic is an enemy and truth is a menace. This is Mr. Romney Wordsworth, in his last forty-eight hours on Earth. He's a citizen of the State but will soon have to be eliminated, because he's built out of flesh and because he has a mind. Mr. Romney Wordsworth, who will draw his last breaths in The Twilight Zone."

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

The thing is every time things seem as dark as they can be the human spirit finds a way for rebirth. No one saw the Internet coming. I imagine there will be some new technology that comes along making gasoline stations obsolete or something like that. Something that will be motivating to billions of people. I would not count out humanity just yet. And for brief moment the dream of achieving success will live again for short while.

edit on 6-6-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Already...we are yesterday's future...and tomorrow...today will be it's past.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Comparing carbon tax to forced sterilization was a little weird. Maybe the film was financed by Big Oil is this video is some new form of propagandize. Fear sells.

Nice to know I'm a high level imbecile.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I just finished watching the film. Here is my take. It is a very dark way of looking at automation and the world.

So a couple of things. A carbon tax is not morally equivalent to forced sterilization. That is off the wall hyperbole. So let's just ignore the 10 second reference to carbon taxes which given the content of the film makes absolute no sense to be even mentioned.

The other thing is the film assumes population growth is inevitable. That is not the case. Every country with high rates of female literacy birth rates are pretty much equal to death rates.

The other thing is I do not think the oligarchy is out to kill all the humans. Human beings create interesting culture which people in the oligarchy enjoy. So culture is a huge value. Not everything valuable about human beings is measured in unit labor costs.

The other thing the film talks about artificial intelligence. Computers are good at doing 10,000 additions per second. Computers are not good at solving difficult programs they have not been programmed to do. Programs ONLY do what they are programmed to do. You can't prove a negative but if artificial intelligence was just around the corner it would have been done by now. We've had modern day computers for 60 years. In that time the way computers work as not change at all. And there's been plenty of time for AI to come into existence. But it has not. But people who make their career of AI research and the promise of AI always say it's just around the corner. Programs are only as smart as their creator. I think we are safe for now.

It is true manual labor is being replaced by automation. But this has been going on for 100 years. Just because we have EZ-Pass at highway toll booths doesn't mean society is going to collapse. There is always more work to do. Automation doesn't mean anything.

So what do we need to do as a society to have meaningful work. The answer is quite simple. Consider the Olympics. Why do we have the Olympics? What purpose do the Olympics serve? None. The Olympics has no other purpose other than they are fun. Think of all the human activity and commerce around the Olympics. The Olympics is one of the most meaningful things anyone can have in their life. One of my friends is an Olympic athlete. He is a school principle now but everything about his life becomes meaningful through his Olympic experience. How is the oligarchy going to feel special if they can't buy the very best seats at events like the Olympics.

So using the Olympics as a model, what we need in the world are structures in place that provide meaningful employment and activity. Sports is a great example. We need to have professionally paid artists with competition. We have American Idol for singing. We need more structures in culture creating meaningful employment.

A really good place to start is healthcare. Make healthcare for everyone as important as the Olympics to oligarchy.

I get the idea of UBI seems like some dystopian nightmare but I don't think so. All the money doled out is just spent. It goes right back to the CEOs just like with food stamps. Food stamps on a dollar bases is the most effective stimulus of the economy. I don't think UBI is the end of man.

My problem with the film is if they are going to blast modern society in a cherry picking way of why it is some kind of dystopian nightmare then the authors of the film have to provide a viable solution. If having the entire world population farm 5 acre plots where if you don't work you die is the solution then they should say that is their solution.

If the question is how do we employ everyone with meaningful work then cultural structures like the Olympics is the answer.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

The thing is every time things seem as dark as they can be the human spirit finds a way for rebirth. No one saw the Internet coming. I imagine there will be some new technology that comes along making gasoline stations obsolete or something like that. Something that will be motivating to billions of people. I would not count out humanity just yet. And for brief moment the dream of achieving success will live again for short while.

I see the problem from the other end. To suggest that technology will save us in one fashion or another is the wrong way for humanity to grasp at the future. Technology is not sacred regardless of how important it is made to seem in our lives (by advertising).

What is sacred to every living soul, including some poor person in Bangladeshi that has nothing save for a raggedy loincloth is the human mind. Even he can sit down and learn that his body is not his mind and his mind is not constrained by any aspect of his existence.

Meditation is the way to escape the trap of the human body and its requirements. But materialism, a by-product of human needs, wants and desires, usually rules us all unless we find the escape of meditation that has been given us by nature. But meditation is "too difficult..." and won't impress our fellow travelers too much. Material things is much better and feels satisfying as we caress it in view of our neighbors. For most humans, that self-satisfaction but false contentment is enough. Throw in the new model cell phone and you ask little else from the universe for the time being until the next model comes out.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 10:09 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...
not much about fun there .
The idea of using entertainment to get people not to notice how it sucks how original .
so original infact the Romans used it 1000 years agaio our tv is it now .
as for AI it took earth 300 million years to pull the trick off .
so computers taking 60 well just cant compare .
Besides as AI goes computers are already smarter then most people lol .
really though Computers can program teem self beyond the scope of the original programs example is one of the latest AI cars that scraped all the programming they had put in and made its own which was 20 times better then theirs .
Heck it doesnt take much to create a basic AI .
there are quite a few chat bots you can download with nothing but basic word recognition ( just a few megs .
you type and it learns words and how to wright back .
at first it just wrights back what you type even but very quickly starts making its own writing .
NO AI has been around a wile just in a limited fashion . Each AI is good at one or two things the next step is creating AI that can learn any thing just as a person can learn anything a small step indeed .
Really teh only thing left slowing it down is prossing But once someone tries layered prossing then that wont be a problem any more .
a 64 bit prossers inst a 64 bit its two 32 bits each taking part of the load duel .
A layered would be adding prossing 2 32 bit would then be one 64 bit two 64 bit would be one 128 bit and so on well no limits any longer no super teck need just a new way of adding a prosser .
once someone realizes this and tries it 100 billion ghz no big deal your phone will have it .
Then A complete AI will be born .
2 d programming becomes 3d 3d becomes 4d and so one forever sortive quantum without being quantum

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

The other thing is the film assumes population growth is inevitable. That is not the case. Every country with high rates of female literacy birth rates are pretty much equal to death rates.

I want to address much of what you have posted, but I am going to have to do this piecemeal, because I am trying to multi-task. I am in class and can only comment during my breaks.

While studies may show that females with higher literacy rates don't have as many children as those of lower literacy rates, it doesn't factor in that the population of females with lower literacy rates greatly outnumber those of of a higher literacy rate. In some areas of extreme poverty, it is believed that having more children increases your chance of survival.

The elite are addicted to distraction and amusements. They hate being bored. The Olympics, the Colosseum, the battles to the death of the useless eater, have always been their favorite form of entertainment.

As for the the useless eaters, sex is a cheaper and more available form of distraction and entertainment. Unfortunately, it can contribute to the problem of increased population.

edit on 6-6-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Meditation is the way to escape the trap of the human body and its requirements.

Meditation may work for some people for a short period of time, but starvation can't be meditated away.

Our need for distraction is part of the problem. If we learned to be more aware and accepting of our reality, we would be better equipped to master its aberrations and inconsistencies.

It is near impossible to catch a ball being tossed to you, if you are blindfolded and refuse to acknowledge there is a ball.

top topics

join