It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kerbal Space Program: A farewell to what once was...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Take-Two Interactive has purchased physics-based space simulation Kerbal Space Program, according to announcements from publisher Take-Two and developer Squad. “We have been impressed with Kerbal Space Program since its launch, and we are committed to grow this unique experience while continuing to support its passionate community,” said Michael Worosz, senior vice president, head of corporate development and independent publishing at Take-Two, in a release. “We view Kerbal Space Program as a new, long-term franchise that adds a well-respected and beloved IP to Take-Two’s portfolio as we continue to explore opportunities across the independent development landscape.”

Take-Two acquires Kerbal Space Program

Kerbal Space Program... There are not enough good things I can say about this game. I've played around 137 hours of the game. I stopped playing a bit since the physics overhaul in I think the 1.0 update. My rockets kept flipping over and I just couldn't get anything into orbit anymore. But I digress, that's not the point of this thread.

There are countless examples, mainly from EA (Electronic Arts), about what happens when small developers let themselves get taken over by large publishers. Maxis and The Sims are a great example. Microsoft and their acquisition of Minecraft will soon spell the end of the free modding community. Aces Studio and Ensemble are two other examples of a publisher takeover and eventual gutting awesome dev teams. While I can't stand EA... one of the most favored studios close to my heart, Rare, was purchased and destroyed by Microsoft.

Steam... has nullified the need for publishers. So I fail to understand why Squad would let themselves be taken over by a publisher. I don't know a lot about Take-Two or what their norm is for developers that they swallow up. But if history is any indication, it doesn't look good for Squad and KSP now. As always, developers really need to focus on the history of other studios that were bought up by large publishers. It almost never ends well.

If this thread is read by any indie developers... have the confidence in your creation that it can stand on its own merit. People are purchasing your game because they enjoy your creativity and the vision that you're bringing to the public. Don't let a publisher take you over and mess up your gumbo!

edit on 6/5/2017 by EternalSolace because: Grammar

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 02:52 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Try not to let your love for a game blind you to reality.

If you are a developer and a big player offers you more money than you imagine having, then they will sell.

Making a living is what they are all about.

The cuddly and fluffy beliefs are great, but food has to be put on the table.

P

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Short term payoff and eventual destruction or long life and retention of full creative rights for your studio...
Do you buy two or three lobster dinners or buy the sirloin steak to feed yourself for a few weeks. Maybe not as luxurious as the lobster... but you'll feed yourself longer!

In the case of Rare that I mentioned. That was one hell of a talented studio. Had they not sold out to Microsoft, they'd have made millions more on their own merit and still be around making awesome game and raking in even more millions.

Just goes to show what happens when you sell your soul.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Unfortunately, a lot of the original development team left some time before this, so it's not really a surprise.

Who knows what will happen though.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
Steam... has nullified the need for publishers. So I fail to understand why Squad would let themselves be taken over by a publisher.

Money, lots of money I'd imagine for buying the IP more money than they'd ever dreamed of

As for Take Two, well I'd rather them than Craptivision/blizzard or the worst company in the world EA, Take 2 are actually a decent company if you look at some of the games they're behind (Just ignore they were responsible for the abomination of Mafia 3)

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 03:30 AM
link   

maybe they'll add what's needed to make the game amazing...

Multiplayer...

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Discotech

I don't know much about Take-Two as a publisher. I just know that a lot of times the continuity of an indie dev is a pipe dream once bought up. They think, this is our moment to go to the big times or take the payout and whatever happens will happen.

It just sucks to see so many indie dev teams with enourmous talent fall for whatever reason.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Be happy it's not EA. They've ruined two of my favorite games/companies.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 06:46 AM
link   
As a hardcore KSP player i am not really worried yet , the DLC for KSP is still planned for release , with KSP squad has proven they make exellent games , i do not think take 2 will drop KSP.

gonna hit 1050 hours soon in ksp , never could imagine i would enjoy a space simulator so much. only arma 2 comes close to the hours played in ksp.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

maybe they'll add what's needed to make the game amazing...

Multiplayer...

The community is asking for multiplayer for a few years already , but with the time warp stuff it is really hard to make a solid multiplayer , without timewarp you can wait a couple of years in realtime for the transfer burns

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
As another poster said, be happy it's not EA.
They destroy everything they touch - Battlefield 4 comes to mind as a perfect example.

Not only do they destroy games, but they put them on shelves as complete and then issue patches for a yea, just to make the game stable. In fact now that I think about it, that seems to be what's becoming the norm.
Pump out incomplete and barely playable games and then issue fixes until it's usable.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I've got 608 hours on KSP. Have always loved the games and making my YouTube videos with them.

Take-Two Interactive. I've played the following published by them:

Bioshock 2
Civilization IV
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Railroad Tycoon 2
Lemmings (1991)
Max Payne

They've done a lot of other games, but those are the ones I've played that they published. No real big complaints on that.

Time will tell with KSP I guess.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Haven't they had a hand in the XCOMs too?

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes as 2k games

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I have already made a backup of a offline working KSP in case they will delete my 1200+ hours planetary habitat

edit on 5/6/17 by Norge because: backup

sorry for the edit logged into steam . It was 2298 hours
edit on 5/6/17 by Norge because: steam

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Yep the original team who made it, are working at Valve now.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I think universal disgust for EA will forever be the norm. I know that's my sentiments as well.

posted on Jun, 5 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TheGreazel

What I worry about as well are the modding communities when large publishers takeover. KSP mods are fantastic. I don't want to see modern killed off for paid dlc and micro transactions. I believe that's also what is going to happen with Minecraft. Everything is becoming geared toward the Windows 10 edition and paid dlc.

Maybe I worry over nothing. Maybe not. I'll just continue to hope for the best.

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

You got a real point here , the mods are cornerstones for KSP , with the stock game i would only have half as fun as i do now with around 50 mods installed.

So yeah maybe this is the only thing i gotta worry about , will take 2 drop mod support in the future or not ?

i hope not , since i only play career , and almost everything i build is reusable thanks to mods like realchute and stage recovery , if they drop the support for these mods i have to start building my subassemblies from scratch again :S

edit on 6-6-2017 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace

originally posted by: ketsuko

I think universal disgust for EA will forever be the norm. I know that's my sentiments as well.

bethesda needs to buy the rights to MaSS effect. Or at least make a Mass effect game for them an d show them how to create a great game again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join