It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland Free Speech Rally – Live Updates!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

You know ... the point of terrorism is to make people modify their behavior.

If someone shouts, "This is for Pinky Pie" and the local My Little Pony con reschedules, then I'd say the terrorist won.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: Ksihkehe

a reply to: Grambler

I haven't watched it yet. I'm in domestic princess mode right now, chatting between chores.

The content of this particular rally isn't the offense. It's the fact they held it knowing what an influence they had on that terrorist.

What hogwash. No matter when they held the rally there would be protests.

I'm so sick of worthless rally/counter-protest events. The people running both sides should just plan them together at this point. Without each other to feed on the press dries up. The press only attends because they hope these events turn violent.

Of course there would be protests. Becauthat, theye don't like that sort of extremism here. The speaker said, leading up to this rally, that it's "open season on antifa". Why would any liberal-minded populace think it's a great idea to have their kind of rhetoric spewed on our public shared-space?

But this one is purposefully insensitive and intentionally aggressive. They came here to pick a fight and rub salt in wounds, knowing they could have rescheduled but didn't.

So yes, it would have been protested under normal circumstances but no, people like me who are not activists wouldn't be getting involved like they are today. People are sad, hurt, and angry. This rally is seen as nothing more than a giant middle finger to those still grieving.

So antifa repeatedly is violent at conservative rallies = no big deal to you.

In response, a conservative guy says something stupid - outrage from you.

If you would have watched, you would see one of the rally holders from the last rally said he reported that Christian guy to authorities and kicked him out of the rally last time.

So to you, how long must a free speech rally be held off until it would be acceptable?

And again, its telling that you have never once made a thread about BLM stopping after cops have been killed, or anti trump protests after a handicap boy was tortured.

I've never once lived in one of those cities.

Quit questioning my motives. If this hhappened in your town by some jihad terrorist and you thought the pro-jihad rally held the following week was in poor taste, I wouldn't be telling you that your attention isn't equally applied among all headlines.

Fist I would defend their right to have that rally, and even if I hated what they were saying, I would hate people that showed up threatening violence to stop their speech.

And secondly and more importantly, you comining this rally to pro jihad is without any factual basis and totally indicitive of the problem.

You haven't watched the rally as you have admitted, so who are you to claim that they are the same as a pro jihadi, in other words, they are cheering on the murders that occcured there, or recomending more.

You are aan ignorant person, and are spewing hate out of that ignorance. Show me wehere on rally attendee supported that murder?

You can't because it didn't happen.

In fact, organizers kicked Christian, who was an insane Jill Stein / Bernie Sanders supporting mad man out of their last rally and reported him to authorities.

Yet you allow your political ideology to infect you so much that you just assume this rally is about supporting that murderer.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself. People like you is what makes violence at these rallies inevitable.

You are Truly a supporter of authoritarianism in the sense that Orwell warned us about.

"Free speech is murder". What a joke.

Lol.

Again with words in my mouth. The terrorist parroted their rhetoric and here they are. I've said little more than that.

If a person can't see the problem with that, they are an insensitive tool

And you are parroting the rhetoric of people that have beat innocent conservatives at rallies.

So I guess I can assume you have a bike lock ready to smash over my head in the name of tolerance, right?

Hah! Good lord, you are so dramatic. Grow up and stop picking on me.

I'm sorry for pointing out your logical inconsistency and ignorance of the issue.

I will leave you alone to be outraged about people wanting to practice free speech.

Yes, I'm totally out of line.

Two people were murdered blocks away from my house, on the same train and route I take to work. The group he attended rallies of and shares rhetoric with, hold a rally in the same city, a week later.

And I'm an "outraged liberal" for thinking that's in poor taste.

get bent

It seems that somebody has pointed out they had him removed from the rally and reported him to police previously.

Let's look at this from another angle. Should they not hold prayer at whatever mosque the London attackers attended because it's insensitive or too soon?

Does the shoe look the same on the other foot?

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

You know ... the point of terrorism is to make people modify their behavior.

If someone shouts, "This is for Pinky Pie" and the local My Little Pony con reschedules, then I'd say the terrorist won.

But wouldn't that terrorist "win" by having the convention take place?

Still, your point about "changing behavior" as a response is the best retort I've heard on the subject. I'll think about that, thank you.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I haven't watched it yet. I'm in domestic princess mode right now, chatting between chores.

The content of this particular rally isn't the offense. It's the fact they held it knowing what an influence they had on that terrorist.

I'm so sick of worthless rally/counter-protest events. The people running both sides should just plan them together at this point. Without each other to feed on the press dries up. The press only attends because they hope these events turn violent.

Of course there would be protests. Becauthat, theye don't like that sort of extremism here. The speaker said, leading up to this rally, that it's "open season on antifa". Why would any liberal-minded populace think it's a great idea to have their kind of rhetoric spewed on our public shared-space?

But this one is purposefully insensitive and intentionally aggressive. They came here to pick a fight and rub salt in wounds, knowing they could have rescheduled but didn't.

So yes, it would have been protested under normal circumstances but no, people like me who are not activists wouldn't be getting involved like they are today. People are sad, hurt, and angry. This rally is seen as nothing more than a giant middle finger to those still grieving.

If you would have watched, you would see one of the rally holders from the last rally said he reported that Christian guy to authorities and kicked him out of the rally last time.

So to you, how long must a free speech rally be held off until it would be acceptable?

And again, its telling that you have never once made a thread about BLM stopping after cops have been killed, or anti trump protests after a handicap boy was tortured.

Quit questioning my motives. If this hhappened in your town by some jihad terrorist and you thought the pro-jihad rally held the following week was in poor taste, I wouldn't be telling you that your attention isn't equally applied among all headlines.

Fist I would defend their right to have that rally, and even if I hated what they were saying, I would hate people that showed up threatening violence to stop their speech.

And secondly and more importantly, you comining this rally to pro jihad is without any factual basis and totally indicitive of the problem.

You haven't watched the rally as you have admitted, so who are you to claim that they are the same as a pro jihadi, in other words, they are cheering on the murders that occcured there, or recomending more.

You are aan ignorant person, and are spewing hate out of that ignorance. Show me wehere on rally attendee supported that murder?

In fact, organizers kicked Christian, who was an insane Jill Stein / Bernie Sanders supporting mad man out of their last rally and reported him to authorities.

Yet you allow your political ideology to infect you so much that you just assume this rally is about supporting that murderer.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself. People like you is what makes violence at these rallies inevitable.

You are Truly a supporter of authoritarianism in the sense that Orwell warned us about.

Lol.

Again with words in my mouth. The terrorist parroted their rhetoric and here they are. I've said little more than that.

And you are parroting the rhetoric of people that have beat innocent conservatives at rallies.

So I guess I can assume you have a bike lock ready to smash over my head in the name of tolerance, right?

I'm sorry for pointing out your logical inconsistency and ignorance of the issue.

I will leave you alone to be outraged about people wanting to practice free speech.

Two people were murdered blocks away from my house, on the same train and route I take to work. The group he attended rallies of and shares rhetoric with, hold a rally in the same city, a week later.

get bent

It seems that somebody has pointed out they had him removed from the rally and reported him to police previously.

Let's look at this from another angle. Should they not hold prayer at whatever mosque the London attackers attended because it's insensitive or too soon?

Of course they should hold a prayer. But they shouldn't organize a rally that is ideologically aligned with with the terrorists.

Both the London terrorists and the Portland one share an ideology: extremism. To me, they are the same.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Free speech isn't ideologically aligned with terrorism.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl

And the free speech rallies aren't really aligned with free speech.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Here's to the next Eric Clanton.

Stay classy.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

How do you know?

You admitted you have watched none of it.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Lol.

get bent

Of course they should hold a prayer. But they shouldn't organize a rally that is ideologically aligned with with the terrorists.

Both the London terrorists and the Portland one share an ideology: extremism. To me, they are the same.

So the root of the attackers motivation was not their religious belief?

We have people who took extreme actions that hurt people and acted of their own accord. Why should there be a difference between the groups the attackers listen to? Why isn't it insensitive for the attackers mosque to hold services?

You have to see the hypocrisy here.
edit on 6/4/17 by Ksihkehe because: Typo

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

How do you know?

You admitted you have watched none of it.

This isn't the first one.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Perhaps in your opinion.

Here's the thing - a belief in free speech is only really a belief in free speech when you are defending the right of people to speak even if, and especially if, you hate their message.

It's very easy to approve of speech you agree with; it's not nearly as easy to defend someone with a message you find abhorrent.

Some of the hardest arguments I've had to make here are the ones where I am arguing pure principle because I can't agree with the merits of the argument I am defending, only the right of the person to make it.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Lol.

get bent

We have people who tools extreme actions that hurt people and acted of their own accord. Why should there be a difference between the groups the attackers listen to? Why isn't it insensitive for the attackers mosque to hold services?

In both cases, religion played a part. The London ones hated religions that weren't Muslim and the Portland one hated ALL religions. In both cases, being radicalized is what made them do what they did. Not their religion or atheism.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Actually that's exactly what they are.

In Berkeley the free speech rally was all about free speech, people happily hanging out until Antifa showed up and started firing M-80's at them.

Do you support fascism? Seems you do. Wanting to shut down gatherings of free speech simply because you don't like it.

You've erroneously tied free speech to terrorism and used that fabricated and incorrect assumption to shut down others. Just like the Brown Coats.
edit on 4-6-2017 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Perhaps in your opinion.

Here's the thing - a belief in free speech is only really a belief in free speech when you are defending the right of people to speak even if, and especially if, you hate their message.

It's very easy to approve of speech you agree with; it's not nearly as easy to defend someone with a message you find abhorrent.

Some of the hardest arguments I've had to make here are the ones where I am arguing pure principle because I can't agree with the merits of the argument I am defending, only the right of the person to make it.

And I do agree with their legal right to keep that rally going. When our mayor called for their permit to be revoked and the ACLU told him to get lost, I supported the ACLU's decision.

That's what free speech is about. It's not about saying foul things and getting indignant when others show up to tell you they don't like it. It's about protecting your legal right to say those foul things (and criticize them). So far, that hasn't been violated. If it did, I'd change corners.

But like I said, this isn't what people are angry about here (at least not why they are extra angry). They are mad because of the related ideology between them and the terrorist and their decision to not reschedule. This is why I brought up the My Little Pony analogy. It's because it is hard to talk about something unpolitical while the folks involved are steeped in partisan politics.

If you took the politics out of it, I'm thinking most of you would understand why this is a bad idea.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Look. We are talking about Portland, the city that cancelled a parade that Republicans wanted to march in over threats from these same counter-protestors. This is also a city that ran two women out of business over perceived cultural appropriation and then published a spreadsheet list of evil, oppressive white folks who had the poor taste to open restaurants featuring cuisine not of their own ethnicity that hurts POC trying to run their own businesses.

Face it. Your city is crazy.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Lol.

get bent

We have people who tools extreme actions that hurt people and acted of their own accord. Why should there be a difference between the groups the attackers listen to? Why isn't it insensitive for the attackers mosque to hold services?

In both cases, religion played a part. The London ones hated religions that weren't Muslim and the Portland one hated ALL religions. In both cases, being radicalized is what made them do what they did. Not their religion or atheism.

Meh, that completely avoided my question.

Freedom of speech and expression includes being insensitive. Protesting people like this only convinces them and hardens their conviction that people are trying to take their freedom away.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Lol.

get bent

Meh, that completely avoided my question.

Freedom of speech and expression includes being insensitive. Protesting people like this only convinces them and hardens their conviction that people are trying to take their freedom away.

Then it does. I didn't say the I'm pro-protest. I'm anti-jerk. I'm not being all that political in this thread.

You have a point but it's one you should tell all the people at the rally and protest, not me.

Did you notice I'm not at the protest? I could have gotten a sitter.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Look. We are talking about Portland, the city that cancelled a parade that Republicans wanted to march in over threats from these same counter-protestors. This is also a city that ran two women out of business over perceived cultural appropriation and then published a spreadsheet list of evil, oppressive white folks who had the poor taste to open restaurants featuring cuisine not of their own ethnicity that hurts POC trying to run their own businesses.

Face it. Your city is crazy.

That's a different conversation.

All I said is they should have rescheduled to let us heal.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Actually that's exactly what they are.

In Berkeley the free speech rally was all about free speech, people happily hanging out until Antifa showed up and started firing M-80's at them.

Do you support fascism? Seems you do. Wanting to shut down gatherings of free speech simply because you don't like it.

You've erroneously tied free speech to terrorism and used that fabricated and incorrect assumption to shut down others. Just like the Brown Coats.

No, I correctly associated a terrorist with this rally. The connection has been documented, filmed, and witnessed. If this were a socialist yelling "capitalist pigs", I'd say the same thing about a Bernie rally not rescheduling.

posted on Jun, 4 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Lol.

get bent

So what did you want?

You to come on ATS, make one thread and post on another about how these people are insensitive jerks for continuing to hold their free speech rally, and everyone had to either agree with you or not comment?

I am sorry that you are so affected by people dying in your community. I too am sad that this murder occurred.

But to act as if this grief allows you to have impunity from someone questioning your posts is absurd.

You have posts not a week after the Manchester attack talking about how all religion can lead to violence, and how Israel is just as bad.

HOW DARE YOU!!!! Children were killed, and you were so insensitive to those children, their families, and the people that live in the UK that you came on here spouting of excuses and belittling their suffering.

But those deaths don't matter, because they weren't in your town.

See you can question people grieving over that, but you are special, we all have to let you grief and anyone who questions your posts is horrible, because you are grieving.

Ironic how you think I'm being unreasonable because I am being challenged. Isn't this all about being upset because the "free speech" folk are being challenged? I didn't say anything about impunity. I am a little annoyed about that one guy making this political when it's truly a circumstantial issue (doesn't matter what the rally is about; it was fuel for the murderer).

As far as the Manchester thing? I wasn't defending a Jihad rally in Manchester after the attacks. I don't understand your comparison.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join