It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cats have been eating more than usual...do they know something we don't?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
So I live in the armpit of PA, MD, DE...
A five minute drive puts me in all three states.

Background. Cats. We have three. Used to have four but the old wizard died before last Christmas.
Cats are: Beans-just turned 18, she's slowly going senile, but with it for the most part.
Trash Boat (formerly Kit-Kat, I renamed him) between 7-10 years old male, loves to bring us food since we can't obviously feed ourselves. Feathers, fur, organs, etc. can be found on a regular basis.
Scout (or as we refer to him, the asshole) is about five, small head, even smaller intellect. Was taken in due to an upset little girl post divorce.

Anyway, these cats have started to fatten up. Beans hasn't, but then again, she's old. The other cats have mowed through their food with the wreckless abandon of dogs. Usually three dishes of food would last at least three or four days, even during the winter, now these boys are choking down two bowls every day or day and a half. Not including their warm meat that they catch outside.

Any ideas?

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

Worms?

Sorry, but that's the first thing I thought of.

Hilarious post, BTW...

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Nope, just had them at the vet since we are thinking of doing rescue for a few breeds of dog.
All clean.

It's not like them in the four years I've known them to go all on nom nom on bowls of food like this during warmer summer months, usually they eat like this during the winter...

I just don't know whether it's an omen or whether cats are just weird. I'm inclined to believe the latter

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SBMcG

old age, diabetes, hyperthyroidism , have you tried putting less food out and see how they react?

though if diabetic the urine (there would be a lot) would sell sweet or no odor, not like stinky regular cat pee!
edit on 1-6-2017 by research100 because: added a sentence

I had a cat tthat had diabetes towards the end of her life...she always ate like a pig,,,would eat the cat food until she would puke and we had to not set out too much at any one time because of her
edit on 1-6-2017 by research100 because: (no reason given)

do you have any neighbors with cats and have they gained weight???
edit on 1-6-2017 by research100 because: added a sentence

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: research100
a reply to: SBMcG

old age, diabetes, hyperthyroidism , have you tried putting less food aout and see how they react?

I thought of this and cut in half their bowls, didn't make a difference.
They were assholes until you filled the bowls.
It's bizarre because this time last year, they were going through half as much.
edit on 1-6-2017 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Temperatures were warmer last year. Maybe that's what it was.
I know I eat less when it is warmer outside.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

have you noticed any difference in their energy level less, more, same as before??? I assume you are feeding them the same food as usual so wouldn't be another brand tasted better or something!!

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Nope, same stuff.

Just wondering if they have a sense that we don't....like, fatten up before all the volcanos on Iceland erupt, or something...

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
If you are feeding them outside, have you considered that they have help as in local wildlife?

We are possibly still battling with a 'coon that decided it liked coming into our fenced in backyard and taking a dump on our deck after cleaning up loose birdseed. Had to stop feeding the birds and half the deck is covered in painters' tarp plastic to discourage it right now.

But ... you might be feeding a raccoon or two and maybe opossums and skunks as well.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
If you are feeding them outside, have you considered that they have help as in local wildlife?

We are possibly still battling with a 'coon that decided it liked coming into our fenced in backyard and taking a dump on our deck after cleaning up loose birdseed. Had to stop feeding the birds and half the deck is covered in painters' tarp plastic to discourage it right now.

But ... you might be feeding a raccoon or two and maybe opossums and skunks as well.

Their dishes are inside. But they are indoor/outdoor cats. All except Beans showed up and just hung out enough for my gf to finally take them to the vet and get them checked out...Trash Boat was approximately 2-3 when she adopted him, the little asshole Scout was a wee kitten clutching to the Japanese maple in the front yard during an ice storm in October.

Fun anecdote: Three years ago, we had some extra bird feed on the porch. We have a motion light there, so we know when the cats want in.

I'm half asleep the light comes on, I say come on in you turd of a cat...
I look down and there is a raccoon. He stares me right in the eyes, grabs a fist full of bird seed, crams it in his mouth, grabs one more for the road, and sprints about ten feet away before doing some sort of fist pump...

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Any changes in the environment? If not may be the temperatures-possibility of an extra warm summer-, as it is affecting wildlife and vegetation in places.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Don't let them watch cable news. It's giving them too much anxiety and they are eating too much as a result.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Any changes in the environment? If not may be the temperatures-possibility of an extra warm summer-, as it is affecting wildlife and vegetation in places.

This "spring" has been weird weather-wise...
Thanks for that.
Now, I don't have to go all, animals JUST KNOW STUFF, MAN!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Hey. Mine too. 18 and 14. Very unlike the past year.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Ugh. I hate those bastards. Every damn night with the drama and destruction.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Don't let them watch cable news. It's giving them too much anxiety and they are eating too much as a result.

We cut the cord long ago.
The only program that ever interested them was the Fish Bowl. It was aired during the super bowl one year on Nat Geo or something, it had a fish tank in various settings, and the old wizard, Murphy, he was 15 at the time, actually went up to the tv and put his paw on it.
He was cool, but we had to put him down before last Christmas. It was past his time. He got a bonus few months, he tried to go under the bed to die, I pushed food and water to him and eventually got him to come out. It was a great three months until he just couldn't anymore...

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

ketsuko...they said the cats are eating more "and gaining weight" if there was no weight gain I would have thought other animals helping themselves

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And, yes, we do throw waste food out back for the wildlife.
The crows know me. They have a certain call they give out when I go out back. They have that same call and an addition when I'm getting ready to throw food out to them.

Really funny story here...last year, we had some watermelon in a container in the back of the fridge a little too long, it was fermented.
We threw it out back figuring it would decompose if not eaten.

We look outside to see our elderly cats staring up at a low hanging branch, tails twitching...
A crow had eaten the fermented watermelon and was Drunkey drunkertons! I had to put on a pair of thick gloves and rescue the bird from the cats, I fed him some crackers and sobered him up enough to fly away.
I still see Drunky, he has a white streak on his right wing. He gets within three feet of me and keeps talking but I don't speak crow.

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
...They're cats......

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: SR1TX
...They're cats......

You win the internets...
And I agree.

Dog person myself, but these weirdos have grown on me...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join