It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corbyn Outflanks May , he will Now Attend Tonights Leaders Debate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Theresa May called the snap election in a moment of political opportunism , Labour were looking weak under the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn and May thought she could steal a few seats and increase her slim majority .... I'm sure she's regretting that now.

May has shown herself scared of open debate and refused to attend the televised Leaders Debates , Mr Corbyn said if she wasn't there then he would not attend but has now changed his mind and will show for the debate along with Amber Rudd for the Tories , Tim Farron Lib Dem leader , UKIP's Paul Nuttal and SNP deputy leader Angus Robertson.

Theresa May has responded by saying she's taking questions "up and round the country" but that seems like a flimsy excuse for running scared from the tough questions and giving answers not based on jingoistic statements like "strong and stable" and "coalition of chaos"

With the Tory lead shrinking by the day May could end up being the second Tory leader in a row to shoot themselves in the foot by way of referendum.

But on the afternoon of the event, Mr Corbyn confirmed he would take part, and criticised the Tories for what he called "a stage-managed arms-length campaign". "Refusing to join me in Cambridge tonight would be another sign of Theresa May's weakness, not strength," he added.

Taking questions during a campaign visit in Bath, Mrs May said Mr Corbyn "seems to be paying far more attention to how many appearances on telly he's doing, and he ought to be paying a little more attention to thinking about Brexit negotiations".

Asked whether she was frightened of taking on Mr Corbyn, she said she had been doing this every week during Prime Minister's Questions, adding that it was "so important" to be taking questions from voters. "That's why I've been doing that up and round the country," she added.
But Lib Dem leader Tim Farron accused her of "keeping voters in the dark". "Theresa May called this election but now won't even turn up to debate the issues," he said.
www.bbc.co.uk...

I'm looking forward to next week more and more with each passing day.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Will be an exciting week, no matter what.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Much as I am interested in hearing how Corbyn responds to what will no doubt be the knives out approach of the other attendees, I also have to confess I really do not care about the outcome of the televised debates, not one iota. There is one result which matters a damn to me, and that is the general election result. Given that only one result will be positive and the rest hell on Earth to live through, that is the important result to watch.

That being said...

This is going to be an interesting debate, no doubt. One of the things that Mr Corbyn has to his name, that no other participant in the debates, nor for that matter any other party leader, is that his position on the fundamental underpinnings of his political beliefs, has not changed one iota since he first became a Member of Parliament. He is genuinely invested in the beliefs he holds as a political entity, genuinely invested in the people who make his party and his country function, genuinely interested in the well being of regular people. His record proves that. He has voted the right way on the important issues of the day, consistently and without the smallest hint of hesitancy, the entire time he has been a Member of Parliament.

Given how married to his core message he is (and bloody well ought to be, because it is righteous and solid as hell), I cannot see any of the other participants being able to shift him or cause him discomfort.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
You can all vote Tory with clean heart...

So long as you're not old, young, middle aged, working class, poor, physically disabled/mentally unwell, or a fox.

Every one else will be fine under the Tory manifesto.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I read (online) one British paper, The Daily Fail (yeah, I know...) but everytime they demonise Corbyn and praise May. I find it to be quite telling but understand that other people may see it differently. I think (and fervently hope) that Corbyn would bring a little more sanity and reason to British politics than conservatives but seeing how Labour in recent years was infiltrated with establishmentalism (Tony Blair among others) it would seem to be a game of wait and see.

I hope for Britain that things will get better. Good luck!

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   

He's gonna lose the election to Theresa May next week.
There, I called it.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

I'm a labour voter I have to say that first because I'm often accused of being a Tory supporter - So with that said:

Corbyn will be a terrible Prime Minister and he should not be leader. The main people voting to keep him in are young adults who foolishly believe he is different which he isn't. You only have to take his recent history "Traingate" when he made a little video about trains being so packed that he had to sit on the floor and then the company who own the train released the cctv and revealed that there were a LOT of seats that were empty, some were reserved but there were many empty and he was even offered seats and he refused because he wasn't offered one that allowed him to sit next to his wife apparently - and if you go further back in his history you can see him sticking up for the IRA, and other terrorists. He never answers a real question and sticks to talking points, so in other words is a typical politician.

I actually have already voted and wrote across the ballot paper NO CONFIDENCE. MY MUM CAN DO BETTER THAN YOU LOT and have sent it in because there isn't a party that I believe will do a good job but I regret it now because if he gets into power I'm gonna feel like an idiot for not voting because this man as PM would be a disaster.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I don't doubt that but he will stop her getting the landslide she was aiming for and that is good.

Let's not forget that we were staying in Europe until the votes were counted , nothing is certain anymore.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

True, but I think May is making a clever tactical move by not risking any gaffes in the debate on TV.
For sure she'll get some criticism but most voters won't give a toss about that. She risks much more being picked to bits in the televised debates so I see why she's sacked it off.
Clever move in my opinion.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
There's only 1 issue in it , and it is :

Do you wish to continue paying European landowners (including British landowners) to own land ?
Repeat , do you wish continue paying landowners to own some land ?

If you do not:, vote TM on the 8th of June

If you do : vote JC on the 9th of June , or select from LibDem ,Greens , er Monster raving loonies

Select now

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZIPMATT
There's only 1 issue in it , and it is :

Do you wish to continue paying European landowners (including British landowners) to own land ?
Repeat , do you wish continue paying landowners to own some land ?

If you do not:, vote TM on the 8th of June

If you do : vote JC on the 9th of June , or select from LibDem ,Greens , er Monster raving loonies

Select now

I think the masses will find the NHS to be more important than your little issue.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Only in that she isn't very good in the public arena , she isn't a good communicator and doesn't connect well with voters.
I think she will lose from not attending in that it gives the impression she's scared of unscripted public debate , Corbyn and his team have played a blinder and I think outmaneuvered her just a week before the vote.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Oh I agree she is pretty crap in the live forum environment, that's why she made a clever tactical move, she knows her weakness.
Good luck to Corbyn with playing his blinder but I'll be pissing my pants when tomorrow's headlines are all about some gaffe he made, and not that May refused to attend.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

LOL less weigh it up : more for landowners , less for NHS then

Your argument is thus 'setaside' , and no we're not paying for it
edit on 31-5-2017 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Only in that she isn't very good in the public arena , she isn't a good communicator and doesn't connect well with voters.
I think she will lose from not attending in that it gives the impression she's scared of unscripted public debate , Corbyn and his team have played a blinder and I think outmaneuvered her just a week before the vote.

I think the only people who gain from the debates are the broadcasters. More ridiculous slogans will be shouted, populist statements made, nothing new will be shared, Leanne Wood will make it all about how Wales will suffer most from Brexit even though the majority voted for it, Angus Robertson will just go on and on and on about Scotland and everyone will try and avoid Paul Nuttall at the end. Tim Farron will try and appear relevant and Caroline Lucas will, well, I don't really know what Caroline Lucas will do.

Having said that, I'm a politics junkie sometimes so if other half isn't in when it comes on I'll probably watch it anyway.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

As a Welshman living in England, lol about Leanne Wood

I'm definitely watching it, if only for the entertainment seeing who #s up first.
My money is on Nuttall first, then Lucas, then Corbyn, should be funny as # with any luck.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Anyone watching?

I don't like Corbyn's idea for a £10 minimum wage by 2020...
By 2020 £10 will be worth less than the current minimum wage given the cost of living rising.

We need a £12 minimum wage imo.

If I was a politician nowadays I'd advise people to be like GrainOfSand and work to be self employed in all honesty.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
Anyone watching?

I'm watching.

If I was a politician nowadays I'd advise people to be like GrainOfSand and work to be self employed in all honesty.

The trouble there is that as the minimum wage is increased then anyone offering a skilled service will just charge more to compensate.
...I've worked for less than minimum wage a few times before now though for #ing up my estimate/quotes lol
That's the gamble, no such thing as a minimum wage when self employed...or sick pay, or holiday pay...or guaranteed work...be careful what you wish for, it suits my lifestyle though.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Yeah there is sure to be some downsides, but at the end of it all you're not dictated too for a pittance.

All you have to do really is charge just a little less than the guy near you and you're in business...

But I can also imagine that work can dry up now and then.

Re sick pay, holiday pay I feel for you to be honest...
That's probably the biggest downside to self employment.

I'm happy for you though...
As long as you and yours can live well that's the main thing mate.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

Cheers fella, I'm not whining though, I love being my own boss, absolutely love it, makes me feel alive chasing my own destiny being able to tell someone I don't want to do a job for them because I don't like them.
No benefits and perks of being an employee but with a freedom an employee doesn't have.

On-topic, my independent status influences my thoughts on voting, probably because whatever happens in the UK election people in my area will still require my services and even if I have to cut my prices I'll carry on regardless.
I would grieve if I ever had to be an employee again, really, I would.
Modern servitude.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join