It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Watering Down of Pro Wrestling

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: opethPA

Thats a flawed as hell comparison.

None of the bands I like to see lip synch on stage. "Pro" Wrestling is lip synching for those suffering roid rage. Its absolute bunkum.

Cool , glad its bunkum.
Lots of people enjoy it for being an escape and nothing else.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

LMFAO, I agree completely

Grown men getting a hard on for crap actors pretending to fight in tight spandex.

*Edit*
Bigger more exciting impacts watching the under 16's team at my local rugby club, and it's real.
edit on 31.5.2017 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   

How is pro wrestling any different than going to a theatre and watching a live performance?
Scripted, rehearsed,

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: freedomwv

Yep.
He was also the dude with $Ted Debiasi's crew that melted the undertakers urn into a cold chain.
I forget his name right now, think it started with a C or K

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Quick not to add,
There are hardly any "characters" anymore. Most guys are just a magnified version of a human.
Where are all the Tatunka's and Doink the Clowns?
(Doink is SEVERELY underrated also)
Where are the Yokozuna's, Legion of Doom, Bid Boss Man, ect

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

How is pro wrestling any different than going to a theatre and watching a live performance?
Scripted, rehearsed,

If that's the case why is this thread in the sports forum?
Acting, staged results, pre-arranged routines, doesn't sound like a sport to me, and as you say, no different to watching acting in a theatre.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Probably had something to do with these people being good athletes. But you are correct, this should be in the entertainment forum.
But I don't think anywhere in this thread was it hinted that this was a real sport.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Agreed regarding athletic prowess, I wouldn't wanna fight any of them lol
I guess I've just been a cynic since childhood, it didn't entertain me as a kid because I knew it was fake.
Even more annoying was the wrestling disciples who would get all butt hurt if I even dared to suggest it was bull# staged and fixed.

The fakery, crap acting, and often sloppy stunts just never entertained me, so I'm surprised to read complaints that it's even worse today than it was decades ago.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I've noticed over the years that the matches have gotten shorter and the crap talking has gotten much longer.

Gone are the days of the brief backstage promos ( some of which were legendary.) Now we have one wrestler in the middle of the ring talking shyte for 10 minutes until someone else's music plays and then they come down to the ring to do the same thing.

That whole platform ruins the WWE nowadays bc it causes the matches to be 3 minutes long!

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Wresting died with the attitude area.

The rock, stone cold, and Vince McMahon..

Legendary

edit on 31-5-2017 by fastenyourseatbelt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   

the wwe has been watered down. its the pg era and mass marketing. they are the disney of wrestling. imo they should reduce raw back to 2 hours. they should also build better character backstories. at the moment i think bray wyatt is the only true "character" in the wwe.

as for wrestling as a whole, we know its prearranged. i dont call it fake due to the injuries. those stunts are very real. i really like "lucha underground" for the stunts. its a bit hokey in some areas, but thats part of the story.

as for the haters of wrestling, why? its no different than a kung fu movie, or a cop show, or whatever. its a scripted drama with stunts, like every other show. for example, "into the badlands" is a wire-fu show. i know no one actually dies, or gets seriously hurt, or can jump up onto the roof of a house, but the choreography is nice to watch. its also scripted with the end/winners prearranged. the big difference is that they have the benefit of "cut, from the top" while the wwe is live. the wrestlers map out a few big spots, but the rest is improve and inring talk. that part of the creativity is really fascinating to me. also, just because its mapped out and the wrestlers know how its going to end, we dont. i wouldnt have predicted a jinder mahal win, thats for sure.

either way, its all in good fun, no?

posted on Jun, 7 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: schuyler

originally posted by: freedomwv
a reply to: schuyler

I already stated what your comment pretty much says. This post is for people who like wrestling and want to discuss the topic I bring up. You didn`t really add anything to the discussion.

So what? I simply emphasized one of your points and added some historical, personal information that you did not know. Did you know that vignette about Gorgeous George? Did anyone else here? I doubt it. I call that "adding to the discussion." This is a public forum. Even if you are the thread starter that does not give you rights over the entire thread. I doubt you even read what I wrote. You just fixated on "Its fake" and zoned out on the rest of what I said.

Wow Schuyler you are so clever, you called wrestling fake, how astute of you
You must be one of the smartest people on earth, pointing out wrestling isn't mma cage fighting
They look so much alike don't they, how did you pick it
Schuyler, did you notice in the ops comments he said it was entertainment, entertainment, bit silly coming in and stating the BLOODY obvious like you know a well hidden secret
Except EVERYBODY ALREADY KNOWS
Thanks

As for wrestling, the wwe is to tightly scripted, good to see so many indie wrestlers in the wwe ring (thanks Schuyler I know it's not round)
Give it time, it will change again as new money comes in

The PG era as they say has taken over, maybe another ECW organisation will rise, but bashing people on the scone with a steel chair, those days are long gone, thankfully.
Really do we want to see mankind go through what he went through for entertainment Sake

Yeah, poor storyline, scriptwriting and everybody has to stick to the script, no colour left where individuals can rise above their character

And did YOU know about Gorgeous George, smart guy? Did YOU know that he lived in a hotel? Did YOU know he announced whether he was going to win or lose before it happened? Did YOU know any of that, smart guy? do YOU even know who Gorgeous George was? Do YOU know what he contributed to the sport? I provided historical context to what you "already knew." I call that a contribution, smart guy.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

No didn't know about gorgeous George
Didn't know he lived in a hotel
Didn't know what he announced
Don't really know what he contributed to the sport

I do know wrestling is fake, for about 20 years, think everybody else does as well.
Didn't really see the point of your first comment, it's conspiracy breaking announcement that it was fake, we know
As for gorgeous George, don't really follow wrestling enough to care
Sorry

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join