It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolutionists, what are the "evolutionary advantages" of homosexuality?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   
So being gay is genetic right? How come our gay female family friend adopted a little girl and she turned out gay?....Conditioning maybe?
edit on 31-5-2017 by odinsway because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: firefromabove

What is the evolutionary advantage of choosing fantasy religion over science?

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: odinsway
So being gay is genetic right? How come our gay female family friend adopted a little girl and she turned out gay?....Conditioning maybe?
so far, there has not been a genetic link to homosexuality. There are some physiological coralaries, such as testosterone and estrogen levels but nothing gene related has been discovered.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Autism is a defect..

So do we force autistic kids to deal with the harsh realities of the real world??

Or if some autistic kid feels like he is a ninja turtle, do we all let the kid pretend he is a ninja turtle???

A mental defect means it is biological (born that way) and we don't even remotely have the ability to fix it..

So what good does mental defect do for your argument???

For me if it is a mental defect, then it is outside of their control.. meaning it is not their fault.

And with anything that is not presently cureable and not their fault , we make exceptions to make life better for them.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Golantrevize

It's not evolution its variation, statistics. Also as our environment becomes more polluted don't be surprised if the transgender side of things increases. With all the synthetic hormones and oestrogen mimicking chemicals in our water I might get my own breasts one day...

Seriously though, gay people aren't sterile unlike the inside of your head.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

I have no idea what that means lol..

Please elaborate or post a link.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

I think that is very presumptuous considering the point he is after lol..

That only helps if the women want to do you lol..

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Your understanding of mental defects is probably on par with your understanding of quantum physics. There Is a great you can do for them and it is not necessarily a birth defect. If I was to hit you in the head hard enough you may end up with a mental defect, but you weren't born with it.
edit on 31-5-2017 by Charlyboy because: (no reason given)

Sorry, this is a delicate subject in my family...
edit on 31-5-2017 by Charlyboy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

I'm really not trying to agree with the OP...but there is a weird thing where you don't seem to have 100% gay people in hunter gather cultures..

You will have homosexual activity for sure.. but they don't seem to have people who totally rebuff the opposite sex.

I think like the sexuality spectrum only goes from straight to bi with them. Not from straight to full blown homosexual..

Now I'm not saying that means anything...

Just that it's a neat tidbit of data that seems maybe important.

Might even hint to it being an internal form of population control.. if we have too many humans in one area.. we start switching gay until the population drops..

Could be that the base drive for homosexuality is evolutionary and population control.. but the total aversion to the opposite sex is where the mental defect comes in..

Someone's born with there "attracted to the same sex " switch flipped, and then they also had a couple wires get crossed which made the opposite sex totally unapealing..

I guess hypothetically those wires should still have been able to get crossed in ancient times.. so maybe not..

I'm just spitballing..

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: odinsway

Apologies. I thought I was replying to the OP - firefromabove, thus my response makes no sense to your reply. Disregard my previous reply to you.

originally posted by: odinsway
Kinsey was a lunitic....a complete psycho. Read up about the guy before using him as propaganda.

Yes Kinsey was controversial, to say the least. That doesn't change the fact he laid the foundations of further studies into human sexuality and also the fact that sexuality is a spectrum, not a 1 or a 0. Hardly propaganda...
edit on 5/31/17 by Gaspode because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

Homosexuals didn't evolve.

They are simply a statistical inevitability, much in the same way that some people are born to never actually understand evolution and the evolutionary process.

Some people don't believe but gender change happens in the natural world like the blue-streaked cleaner wrasse.

In a laboratory setting, when scientists removed the male, the largest female would spontaneously change sex. This is an example of protogyny, and is much more common that protandry (changing from male to female).

This just one example. Then you have the seahorse where it essentially becomes a maternal father because it carries the young in it's pouch. The ball is in your court now.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Charlyboy
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Your understanding of mental defects is probably on par with your understanding of quantum physics. There Is a great you can do for them and it is not necessarily a birth defect. If I was to hit you in the head hard enough you may end up with a mental defect, but you weren't born with it.

Sorry, this is a delicate subject in my family...

Fair enough birth defect..

I think most got the point.. this isn't exactly getting published in Nature...

Ps brain injuries have caused really crazy personality shifts right??

Do we know no ones ever been "turned gay" due to a brain injury??

You know some one gets a brain injury and when it heals some wires cross maybe??

We don't blame people for birth defects or injuries reguardless.

Your disgusting if you bully them and society tends to bend over backwards to accommodate them.

The most important part is that we can't even diagnose it correctly , let alone fix it.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
There aren't any, and the idea doesn't even come up unless you believe the fiction that homosexuality is somehow built-in and the result of genetics. It isn't. It's a cultural phenomenon brought about by confused people trying to justify their "needs" by claiming it's genetic and they can't help it.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: firefromabove

originally posted by: Lucidparadox

The more people that dont reproduce, the less of a chance we have of our species overpopulating this planet.

By that logic, wars and genocides resulting in hundreds of millions dead is a good thing because ....overpopulation???

Please rethink.

Seriously! You are not killing millions of people for being gay, war does. Which one do you think is better?

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: firefromabove

originally posted by: DiaJax

Homosexuality can have a number of benefits in an evolutionary perspective.

One it's for pleasure. It's strictly their for enjoyment and happiness. That in itself de stress and improves the quality of life. Making live longer giving you the opportunity to benefit your community.

Two when resources are scarce Homosexuality is a better alternative then heterosexual sex. To conserve resources but still satisfy animal urges.

Three Homosexuality works to keep a cohesive community if there are not enough mating partners to go around.

Communities can remain cohesive and find ways to conserve resources and even prosper without homosexuals being part of the community.

If anything, homosexuals with their higher rates of AIDS (proven by statistics) pose a serious threat to any community

Okay, you are either a religious nut, or a closet gay. I am going with the first! I knew it would not be long for you to bring up hiv and aids. Hiv dies not discriminate. If you are straight, you can get hiv, if you are gay, you can get hiv. Just like any other sexual disease.
edit on 31-5-2017 by Jay-morris because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
There aren't any, and the idea doesn't even come up unless you believe the fiction that homosexuality is somehow built-in and the result of genetics. It isn't. It's a cultural phenomenon brought about by confused people trying to justify their "needs" by claiming it's genetic and they can't help it.

Have you ever talked to any homosexuals about what it means to be a homosexual? I took a human sexuality class in college. They had a homosexual guy as a guest speaker. You could not tell this guy was gay in any way. He just looked like an average guy off the street. He said he knew from a very early age he was just different. He said when he looked at Playboy magazine he would not get an erection. He said he just wasn't attracted to the opposite sex. He seem to claim he had no control over what turned him on sexually. He claimed he was hard wired differently.

So according to you he is just confused. But he and many people have claimed you just can't wish away "the gay". So if you accept their condition was given to them by God, it doesn't matter if it is genetic or not. There is no doubt some people choose to have gay sex. But that is not what most gay people are saying. Most gay people say that it is not a choice.

I don't think it's as simple as your wave of the hand broad brush conclusion.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

What is the evolutionary advantage of choosing fantasy religion over science?

LOL! Great comment! I guess some delusions are politically correct while others are not.

edit on 31-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Omnipotent, infallible God creates gays, then hates on them... Wtf?
Creationists, what are the "creationist reason the creator" created gays?

Well the creator seems to be a a-hole of epic proportions...

To answer the OP's question; GENETIC DIVERSITY.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

What a complete load of rubbish. So gay people in countries where being gay could mean imprisonment, being beaten, and even killed. They are just putting themselves in that horrible situation for the fun if it?

Being gay is not a choice. My brother and sister are gay. I know many gay people, and also known gay people who have took their lives because coming out as gay meant they list a lot of family and friends, and you say this is a choice?

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
So, evolutionary theory requires two basic truisms:

1. Variability within a population
So, every organism in the species is NOT identical. If there is not sufficient variation, then when the species comes up against an insurmountable obstacle, the whole species dies---goes extinct.

2. Selective pressure that produces different outcomes
Because individual organisms are different from each other (number 1 above), they will respond differently to pressure. For instance, creatures who live in hot areas tend to be smaller than the same type of animals living in cold areas; elephants v. mammoths.

Some traits seem to be deleterious. They reduce an organim's chances of reproducing in the next generation.

The classic example is sickle-cell anemia. A human who inherits sickle-cell from one parent actually stands a better chance of living long enough to reproduce in a malaria infested environment. If BOTH parents are sickle-cell carriers, the offspring has reduced life chances. But the sickle cell trait continues in the gene pool, because the individuals with one SC parent have better life chances. The recessives are sort of the collateral damage of natural selection.

Human sexuality is a complex constellation of traits; many of them are not necessarily heritable (i.e., shoe fetish). They are the product of the individual's upbringing and whatever cultural memes have impacted development (circumcision, cultural fetish of narrow waist, etc.).

Looking at homosexual acts in lab mice, it seems to be almost entirely a function of population pressure.

Now, humans are not lab mice; they have culture as an overlay upon their genetic makeup. But it remains true that the human incidence of homosexual acts seems to also be a function of population pressure. It is far less prevalent in areas where there are a shortage of eligible males; for instance rural areas.

So, it needn't have a genetic advantage. Homosexuality may be a cultural meme that goes along with a genetic predisposition. But if there is not a 1-to-1 correlation between the cultural label "homosexual" and a particular DNA sequence, it isn't completely genetic anyway.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join