It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you like your religion so much?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: auroraaus

Thanks for this, I do enjoy a good read.

I'm quite enjoying how this thread is progressing.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DiaJax

aye because nothing ever accounts for individuality hence why I label myself a cafeteria christian.

It's all a process towards self-actualisation, it's what we humans do. There's nothing wrong in following a religion or faith that allows you to become a better person (without of course, harming others)

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 01:56 AM
link   

I totally agree

You are saying exactly what I believe. Just because a religion doesn't benefit me doesn't mean that religion isn't beneficial to someone else.

I found it very interesting how guilt is descried within that article. Like a in born social mechanism for keeping us both aware of our own personal actions and also empathizing with other in our social group. I always thought of guilt as a very personal thing. The way its described in the article if you have very clear rules within you social group guilt helps you help everyone within that social group. Like I said before I would have never thought that guilt is a good thing.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   

I consider myself a spiritual person and have a strong belief in God, but I follow no religion. God and I don't need a middle man.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 03:11 AM
link   

Jesus who was God taught two laws, two final laws in the New Covenant
Love God and love each other

It cant be any more, simple, real, difficult and sacrificial.

Then we are told if we can work on that, try hard, he will love us eternally, free of pain and sin.
Rest in a loving Father

There is no religion, only faith
Love is the rules

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 03:24 AM
link   
i dont like religion lol.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   
is there is any religion at all ? i dont see any.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 03:33 AM
link   

In a way you can think of it as a survival mechanism. Conform or be exiled from the Garden of Eden so to speak.

I see you are new here to ATS, generally the banter can be civil and enlightening. I love reading too myself - there's a trove of interesting topics and comments here on ATS that keeps me coming back. The extreme political banter...no so much.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I always find it curious how people can even become violent over a faith/belief.

Especially with the clam measured responses I have received in this thread. In one way or another everyone is saying faith/belief is leading a life that benefits yourself as well as those around you. Actively pursuing what you believe is a type of natural panacea we can administer to ourselves. By benefiting oneself ultimately you benefit those around you.

I think I may have assumed there was more to faith/belief. Is it really as simple as " This is what I believe "?

is it something that is always there but never questioned? like an arm or a leg?

When I think of religion I think of a club that all your friends and family are associated with one way or another. People share a similar belief so have it to bond over. You have that similar understanding something to unite under. I truly thought religion, and to a lesser extent faith/belief, was this rallying banner to bring people together (for the believed greater good).

Have I been watching to many movies?

edit on 3051717 by DiaJax because: just cuz

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Yeah I have to agree, I can't deal with the extreme political banter myself.

So far my encounters with the members ATS have been fruitful. People seem reasonable, understanding. Having said that I haven't really ventured to deeply into the conspiracy forums just yet. That skunk forum looks very entertaining. Where to start though?

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 03:58 AM
link   

I think you've started at a good place right now, this topic!

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I like my religion (if you can call it that) because it is perhaps the only religion that teaches that you should not believe in something just because it is: written in scripture, or of a long standing tradition, or taught by a great teacher, etc.

It teaches that you should not believe anything on faith , but that you should try and confirm everything for yourself through your own experience and should not consider anything to be true unless you have proven it to yourself that it is true.

This teaching demonstrates that: Kalama Sutta

My religion is not too concerned with God, or Gods, but instead in development.

It is the original teachings of the Buddha.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   

i lke my lack of religion so much - because :

it doesnt demand any money

it doesnt demand any time

it never threatens me with punishments

it lets me dress the way i want

it lets me have sex with who i want

it lets me eat and drink what i want

i could go on -

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Believe whatever you want . Just dont force your belief on me .

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: DiaJax
a reply to: rickymouse

My background is in the Catholic faith.

I can relate to being in-between being religious and atheist. I think it would be a bit dull if we were just some cosmic mathematical probability.

Curious, what is it that makes Lutherans, Lutherans? I know you don't practice but I'm always up for learning something new.

What made my family choose to be Lutheran? Originally someone in the family joined the church then everyone must have just followed in their path.

I would still be a Lutheran if we didn't have a minister who was a little nuts when I was seventeen. After my father died I had to help more at home and the minister wrote me a letter saying that if I did not keep helping around the church, mowing and mopping floors with my cousin and uncle, that my father would not go to heaven. I was still going to church on sundays, but with college, a part time job, and maintaining the house and yard, I had no time to help out at church. Many years later when my Uncle was old he asked me why I quit church and I told him. The next time I went there with my mother I gave him the letter, he was shocked what it said. He said that minister was let go about four years after that letter was written, I should have come back. I told him I do not like to make waves. My uncle was an elder for the church up until he died. at eighty four years old. I gave him that letter thirty five years after I got it. I saved it in case someone ever wanted to know why I left.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: VengefulGhost
Believe whatever you want . Just dont force your belief on me .

No mind is so weak that it can be forced to believe something.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Kalama Sutta

Another belief system I am not familiar with I quite like the initial elements that I have read essentially question everything. I can't wait to read some more.

i could go on -

That is not necessary. You have already shown me exactly what I am looking for. For you religion or belief systems are a hindrance. This would suggest you like to draw you own conclusions with out the interference of other people "beliefs" muddying things up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you like to do things in your own way in your own time. Not necessarily a lone wolf but you someone who isn't bothered but doing things outside the status quo "acceptable" behavior.

I could totally be wrong. Please correct me if I am.

I would still be a Lutheran if we didn't have a minister who was a little nuts when I was seventeen.

One person derailed you. Using his position in the church as leverage with out any care or concern for you. I'm gob smacked, someone who's position demands empathy yet had none. I understand much better as to why your on the fence as it comes to belief. It wasn't exactly the religion itself that was the problem but someone apart of the religion that was out of touch with human nature. I think you made the right decision.

Its crazy to think how powerful one person actions to another can be.

No mind is so weak that it can be forced to believe something.

I have to agree no one is actually forced into believing anything. You can be guilted into going to church but you can never be forced to believe what the preacher is saying. I'm quite sure that is impossible (is mind control that good yet? :s )

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   

It gives me hope, reason and a purpose.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: DiaJax
Why do you like your religion so much?

'Religion'; the congregation of people hosting the same or similar 'beliefs'.
It's the 'herd', 'family', validation...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join