It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should white chefs sell burritos? A Portland food cart’s revealing controversy.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

The worst is when wealthy, powerful Democrats appropriate the plight of every non-wealthy, powerless minority/woman/disabled/lgbtq person to profit in partisan political capital.

Delicious burritos are so much easier to swallow.

posted on Jun, 2 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Blaine91555

This "success" at shutting down a business will encourage others to do the same.

I live in the Portland area. It's not getting "nicer" or even better here.

I had an office there in about 88 / 89 for about a year and a half. It was as bizarre as San Francisco even back then. There were entire area's of the city and surrounding urban area that the police would only respond to life and death calls and buses stopped running to around that time.

Portland has been messed up for a long, long time. Then it was Skinheads, a violent Lesbian gang, Crips, Blooods and probably a dozen other groups including the ever present Anarchists. Nobody in their right mind would go downtown late at night.

Not to mention the cops and the municipal government were likely among the most corrupt around.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Portland, Ore., has become the epicenter in a growing movement to call out white people who profit off the culinary ideas and dishes swiped from other cultures.

Someone in the City of Roses has even created a Google doc, listing the white-owned restaurants that have appropriated cuisines outside their own culture. For each entry, the document suggests alternative restaurants owned by people of color. One “Appropriative Business” is Voodoo Doughnut, the small doughnut chain accused of profiting off a religion thought to combine African, Catholic and Native American traditions.
www.washingtonpost.com... w&utm_term=.31a004e5f563

Ok in a nut shell, if you are not of the culture the food that you are cooking (a chef), then STOP.

You are stealing from said culture.

One enterprising person has created a "black list" of restaurants to not visit because the people who own the restaurant are white ( I assume) and gives a suggestion of an alternate restaurant owned by a person of color. Cool huh?

The story only talks about white screwing minorities. But would this apply to minorities that cook hamburgers?

Holy crap. There is a Mexican restaurant in Portland that refuses to serve burritos calling them gringo food. Not authentic Mexican food. You know they DO serve? Deep fried grasshoppers.
Oh man. I'm soooooo glad I left Portland. Place was going to crap when I left in 2012. I can't imagine what the place is like now. The mayor humping underaged boys. The streets filled with homeless "kids". Itchy trigger finger cops. Always in the shadow of Seattle. If it weren't for Portland, Oregon would be a red state.

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   
get used to it, i know its tough but people will not get away with the f..kary their used to. racism, appropriation, rape culture, etc you will be held accountable. there was a time looking someone in the eye meant a death sentence. so yeah if you steal recipes and build your business on disrespect you may have a problem. seems whites are having their version of colored people problems nowadays
edit on 06pm86America/Chicago3047k by magnetik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: magnetik
get used to it, i know its tough but people will not get away with the f..kary their used to. racism, appropriation, rape culture, etc you will be held accountable. there was a time looking someone in the eye meant a death sentence. so yeah if you steal recipes and build your business on disrespect you may have a problem. seems whites are having their version of colored people problems nowadays

ETA: BTW, are you a rape-victim? As much as I wouldn't wish it on anyone...YOU BETTER BE.
edit on 3-6-2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

originally posted by: magnetik

Yeah. No doubt. The hell is this person on about? I know plenty of black people who've never had African food, nonetheless how to cook it. Anjira bread? Foreign concept to 99% of blacks in the US. So, I guess only the Italians and French get to open restaurants?

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join