It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Cyclists Stopped By Police

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Former Bandidos (motor cycle gang) sergeant-at-arms Toby Mitchell has been bailed over an alleged random road rage attack where he is accused of punching a cyclist in the face.

Echo taskforce Detective Senior Constable Andrew Sward told the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday that Mr Mitchell pulled up alongside a cyclist on the Harbour Esplanade at the intersection of Collins Street in the Docklands at 10pm on Monday, asking him: "Why aren't you using the bike lane?".
The cyclist, a 31-year-old not known to the former Bandidos sergeant-at-arms, replied: "You're in a car, you can use the freeway", Senior Constable Sward said.
He said Mr Mitchell, driving a white Mercedes, drove at the cyclist forcing him to take evasive action.

He said Mr Mitchell, 40, then got out of his car and punched the cyclist in the face before taking off.

(The Age newspaper, Victoria, Australia)

That lippy cyclist barked up the wrong tree alright

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   
As a motorist and typical Audi driver i have a clear hate for cyclists.

Especially what I call lycra cyclists.

I hate it when then jump lights and most of all REFUSE to use the cycle paths my tax money has paid for them!

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

As a motorist I have a clear hate for Audi drivers.

A4s and onwards tend to be bloody awful drivers. I don't know which one I hate the most. Is it the young guy in the black A5 that has 200000 miles on the clock or is it the 64-65 plate guy? It's like they believe there's a forcefield around the car. Lumbering out of roundabouts and causing other drivers to brake to avoid crashing into them. Or tailgating on motorways when there's no progress to be made

The worst car on the road is an Audi taxi - combines two of the things I hate the most. It's ignorance squared

No doubt you're the exception to the rule and no offence intended if so.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx
It seems that even the 'avid bikers' on here don't know why cyclists ride two abreast? It's because it takes twice as long for a car to overtake when they're riding in single file than when they're riding two abreast.It is considered safer to get the over taking over and done with if it's done in half the time irrespective of whether you have to get further across the centre line road markings to do so.
Last time I looked this up the Highway Code specifies NOT MORE THAN TWO ABREAST,this hasn't changed recently has it?

No but driving has both the physical and socialogical factors in ensuring safety. It's obvious in this case they caused major inconvenience for other road users. Cars aren't meant to overtake bikes going more than 10mph but in the real world people do and it'd take a special kind of dick head to keep a tailback going at 11 mph just because the code allows it. It annoys drivers and makes them more likely to take risks when overtaking and from personal experience it's being in the legal right doesn't matter much when you get run over by a car.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

A4s and onwards tend to be bloody awful drivers. I don't know which one I hate the most. Is it the young guy in the black A5 that has 200000 miles on the clock or is it the 64-65 plate guy? It's like they believe there's a forcefield around the car. Lumbering out of roundabouts and causing other drivers to brake to avoid crashing into them. Or tailgating on motorways when there's no progress to be made

The worst car on the road is an Audi taxi - combines two of the things I hate the most. It's ignorance squared

I am a TT driver......and yes I am a complete wanker on the roads

I dont tailgate though.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

originally posted by: Kandinsky

I am a TT driver......and yes I am a complete wanker on the roads

I dont tailgate though.

Come to think of it, TT drivers aren't so bad - quite discrete. They're usually women too which is a puzzle in itself.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
a reply to: Kester

There are some shall we say cycle nazi's who do go out to try and cause much trouble as possible and with helm-cams guess what everyones suddenly a youtube star.

I have to agree with that, the trouble with the given video, is that there is no history of what went on before..and likely a good reason why it is there...to do a bit of shiite stirring for the dosh, and yes bikers can and do their own stirring on the road. They can do two abreast, but, and of late I have yet to see any two abreast groups paying attention to the road conditions, which does require revision most of the time, including a single file attitude when needed, and very poor attention to filter lanes where a good perception requires one to slow for someone who has a need to change lanes. In my part of the world, none, and I mean none, of the bikers use adopted cycle lanes.

Rule 66 of the Highway Code says that cyclists "should never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends." in all cases, only the first section seems to be relevant to the bikers who insist in riding in mass groups, while the last section I would have issue with, especially on our pathetic hedged ''B' roads. In truth, the law cannot deal properly with the way people use our roads, and don't seem to want to when most of it is really common sense.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

It's because it takes twice as long for a car to overtake when they're riding in single file than when they're riding two abreast.It is considered safer to get the over taking over and done with if it's done in half the time irrespective of whether you have to get further across the centre line road markings to do so.

Sorry, but I think your logic is seriously flawed.

A car passing two cyclists riding side by side is FAR more dangerous, not to mention inconvenient, to all the road users than any number of cyclists riding single file. Vehicles will not have to slow down or make a near miss pass.

Get real!

Any hazard in the road (walkers,horse riders,cyclists etc) should be treated with the same respect you treat all other groups of road users.Is it really too much to ask that you do slow down,indicate and only go past them when it's safe to do so instead of being impatient and saving maybe ten seconds off your total journey time? Wait until it's safe to do so when approaching ANY hazard on a public road before you negotiate it.Don't forget that if the hazard is your side of the road,you do not have automatic right of way,oncoming traffic does and you should always give way to it!.
My 'logic' came from a professional cyclist,that's how real I get.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion
Cars aren't meant to overtake bikes going more than 10mph.

Is this actually a real law as I haven't heard this one before?

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Imagewerx

I think they're getting muddled up. The only time this applies is if your overtaking over a solid white line. You can do so if the bike (or indeed horses) are going less than 10 mph. Anything over and you'll get done as you would do overtaking a car on solid whites at any time.

That's what I recall at least.
edit on 28-5-2017 by youcanttellthepeople because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   
As a car driver and a cyclist, I take the cars side. They are only riding side by side to talk to one other and don't give a rat's arse about other road users. If they had a Bluetooth Inter-Bike Communicator they could talk all they wanted whilst riding single file and everyone would be happy.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Should have used lethal force. Cyclists are assholes

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I think we need to separate UK laws and US laws. I live in Texas and know the law well. Most cops and most motorists don't. I have been in situations like this many many times. Emotions can get heated, especially if it was during a difficult part of the ride. Your heart and blood is really pumping. I'd be happy to explain the laws here and why cyclists do what they do. I've never been the arrogant type, but one does need to stand up for themselves when one is obeying the law and others don't know or understand it.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 01:08 AM
link   
www.telegraph.co.uk...

Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries after road rage incident

. . .

One witness, who did not wish to be named, told a local newspaper that a man on a bike jumped a red light and a motorcyclist got off his bike and started hitting him.

Hot weather?

edit on 29 5 2017 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Courtesy goes a long way. A few seconds on the cyclist's journey time as they pull aside to let following traffic pass is also not to much to ask.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: youcanttellthepeople

I think they're getting muddled up. The only time this applies is if your overtaking over a solid white line. You can do so if the bike (or indeed horses) are going less than 10 mph. Anything over and you'll get done as you would do overtaking a car on solid whites at any time.

That's what I recall at least.

Ok thanks,I didn't know that.But it would always be open to 'how can you prove what speed the horse/cyclist was travelling at?'

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

Courtesy goes a long way. A few seconds on the cyclist's journey time as they pull aside to let following traffic pass is also not to much to ask.

Some of them do this,although most don't.The same rule applies to anything that uses public roads,along the lines of 'drivers of slow moving vehicles should pull over periodically and let faster moving traffic get past them'.Around here the drivers of such vehicles are quite good at doing this and it's rare to get stuck behind a tractor or combine harvester.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Whatever vehicle, it can be driven or ridden by a moron.

I've ridden motorcycles most of my life and seen it all, from other bikers riding without a thought for what goes on around them and then freaking out when something happens, to people in cars doing some awful stuff.

Generally cyclists are well aware of their vulnerability and take care.

I drive a box van at the moment and will not overtake someone on a bike if I can't give them at least 3 feet of space, any less is seriously unsafe, and the way people beep at me at some times is ridiculous.

You get a thick skin driving a van, but the lack of care we show each other does get on my nerves.

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Car owner gets his cumuppance..
WARNING Swearing...lol

posted on May, 29 2017 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Is it really too much to ask that you do slow down,indicate and only go past them when it's safe to do so instead of being impatient and saving maybe ten seconds off your total journey time?

You missed the point didn't you?

I completely agree with what you say above but disagree with cyclists (horses) who cannot ride single file to eliminate the problems they can cause others with their selfishness.

Also...why would there be "walkers" in the road? Big no-no.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join