It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Designer viruses may help fight cancer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Very interesting work in immunotherapy. The idea is to design a virus to stimulate the patient's immune system to fight the cancer.

Researchers have created artificial designer viruses that can stimulate the immune system to specifically combat cancer cells.

These designer viruses alert the immune system and cause it to send killer cells to help fight the tumour, according to a study published in the journal Nature Communications.
www.business-standard.com...

Swiss scientists from the U of Geneva have made a virus that they think can achieve the immune response that will help fight cancer. The story gets in the science a little more. I hope this is in the works for people who suffer from this, we hear plenty of talk, lets see some action.

Stimulating the immune system to specifically and wholeheartedly combat cancer cells, however, has remained a distant goal.

The innovative designer viruses, manufactured by Swiss scientists from the University of Geneva (UNIGE) and the University of Basel, could do exactly that.

"We hope that our new findings and technologies will soon be used in cancer treatments," the study authors said.

The researchers built artificial viruses based on lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus (LCMV), which can infect both rodents and humans.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Finally a thread that doesn't have the word "Trump" in the title!!

There has been a lot of talk for years with nanotechnology combining virus with the power of computer programming like abilities.

edit on 26-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I was wondering where the supercomputers that have super duper fast processors (and are di*& measuring for countries) come into this. Could a one of these computers simulate and more this process forward?

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Doesn't every zombie apocalypse movie start this way?

edit on 26-5-2017 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

Imagine the massive side effects for something like this.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse
Doesn't every zombie apocalypse movie start this way?

My thoughts exactly. Sounds exactly like something that could have the potential to cure millions, but then one little unforeseen "side-effect" and the next thing I know I'm running from my undead grandmother and the shotgun blasts aren't even slowing her down.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Head shots only

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
Head shots only

Double-tap!

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Would you want to be the first to try this in the US?

Remember our health system is #1 in cost and #37 is health outcomes.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Causes of Death:
1. Cancer
1. Heart Disease (a tie)
3. Complications

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I don't know,,,,,,but when I hear terms like "Designer Virus" I just can't help but think that the Zombie Apocalypse just might actually happen...

Not for nothin but it wouldn't surprise me at all if governments figured out how to weaponized something like this WAY BEFORE humanity would ever see a benefit from it. Think DARPA?

edit on 26-5-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

I was wondering where the supercomputers that have super duper fast processors (and are di*& measuring for countries) come into this. Could a one of these computers simulate and more this process forward?

Possibly. The genome project sped up as computers got more powerful. You may have good insight here.

I read in your genes you have an age sequence. And with nanotechnology you can re-sequence the age genes. Since your cells divide every four months eventually you can grow to be any age you program it to be like 20 again. That would be really cool because my arthritis gives me too much character.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Sometimes you make the best posts! I can't stand the "we have the best healthcare system in the world" propaganda. Yeah, #1 in terms of costs! USA! USA! USA!

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

And it keeps getting more and more un-affordable.

It is obvious to me that it does not have to be this way. The only hurdle is there are powerful companies (people) that are going to make less, not loose , but make less. And that is unacceptable.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 06:03 PM
link   
And it some terrorist organization (cough CIA) decided to modify the payload so it instead wiped out races based on ancestry. What then? Way too late to say no to fooling around with mother nature.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
If it can be designed to cure, it can be designed to kill.

May even shine some light on this other thread here on ATS.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
T-VEC (Imlygic™) has already been approved for metastatic melanoma. It has little single agent activity but in combo with either anti-ctla4 ascopubs.org... or anti-pd1 www.onclive.com... then the data so far is encouraging.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Countdown until Phage stoicly attempts to debunk the topic of his namesake.....

T minus 10...9...8...

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Causes of Death:
1. Cancer
1. Heart Disease (a tie)
3. Complications

Number 1 takes out a lot of young people. For that reason, I'm all for finding cures for the many different forms of cancer that exist. There's risk, yes, but worth it as long as it's not reckless.

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

I thought someone tried this already with AIDS?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join