It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I suggest a new Forum. CONFIRMATION BIAS.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
WE have all seen it here on ATS. SOmeone comes along and ignores bold faced evidence that even a 4 chan troll would see as true and just ignores it.
These are especially bad in the political threads recently. We need a new forum Or a sub forum to cover this problem.

WHat does the ATS management think? Please post below.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

The proper scope would be 'Logical Fallacies & Cognitive Biases'.

And I vote ten times to see it made (right after they finally enact the new Accelerating Change forum). I'll sneak back in, to vote, nine times.

Have several pieces that belong in there. A bunch of old ones not even posted in the site yet too. And more to come...

edit on 25-5-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
The problem is that we all have confirmation bias on every issue leading to all of us having logical fallacies.

Global warming comes to mind. We're all on one side or another when we should all be just looking at science and not copying propaganda blogs.

Us Politics. We're all either liberal or conservative when the reality is that we're neither and both.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
How would this forum work? Would people post what they see as confirmation bias.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Confirmation bias is present in every forum, and almost every post.

Looks like it's already covered.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Majic
Confirmation bias is present in every forum, and almost every post.

Looks like it's already covered.

Lol. /thread!

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Obviously people won't be posting threads in that forum themselves, so I assume you are suggesting a forum like "Hoax" or "Ludicrous Online Lies", into which threads can be transferred by the Mods.
Isn't Ludicrous Online Lies fulfilling that function already?

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Obviously people won't be posting threads in that forum themselves, so I assume you are suggesting a forum like "Hoax" or "Ludicrous Online Lies", into which threads can be transferred by the Mods.
Isn't Ludicrous Online Lies fulfilling that function already?

lol. Yes but as majic so wisely put it. Its already being done. ATS itself could prolly just change its name to ATS:Embrace confirmation Bias and deny ignorance! lol.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   
"Confirmation bias" is another oft misused term.

But on a site devoted to conspiracy theories, it's going to be more prevalent than many places.

I think it's probably more important to focus on what constitutes a "fact" and what constitutes "supporting evidence".

posted on May, 26 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
WE have all seen it here on ATS. SOmeone comes along and ignores bold faced evidence that even a 4 chan troll would see as true and just ignores it.
These are especially bad in the political threads recently. We need a new forum Or a sub forum to cover this problem.

WHat does the ATS management think? Please post below.

con·fir·ma·tion bi·as
noun
the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories.

"Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true." - Demosthenes

(For everyone else but you and I, of course, and I don't know about you!)

Interestingly, at times, disparate evidence rightly supports a good theory.
Would that still be a 'fallacy'? *__-

A forum dedicated to a single logical fallacy?
I predict a life span that will be measured in moments.

top topics

join