It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye Mr. Thurmond

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2003 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Good Bye Strom.

"WASHINGTON - Former Sen. Strom Thurmond of South Carolina, a one-time Democratic segregationist who helped fuel the rise of the modern conservative Republican Party in the South, died Thursday at 100.

Thurmond, whose physical and political endurance were legendary � he holds the record for solo Senate filibustering � retired on Jan. 5, 2003 at the age of 100 after more than 48 years in office.

His voting record was pro-defense, anti-communist and staunchly conservative. His devotion to constituent services was legendary. He was a lifelong physical fitness buff, who shunned tobacco and alcohol and was known for his vigorous handshake. He had a storied, lifelong reputation as a ladies man.

Thurmond's racial politics changed over the years as blacks began voting in large numbers. He became the first Southern senator to hire a black aide, supported the appointment of a black Southern federal judge and voted to make Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday a national holiday. "

Well, I will have to give my condolences to the owner of my old house, his daughter.

XAOS

[Edited on 27-6-2003 by xaos]

posted on Jun, 28 2003 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I got the news via email--and i'm not sorry to say that i don't grieve his passing. Seems the strong die young and the weak die suffering. Tru politican was Mr. Thurmond. tis what it is.

posted on Jun, 30 2003 @ 06:09 PM
link   

new topics

join