It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am a member of the media

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Hello everyone! I have a thread going over in the introduction page...but I thought I would start one here.

I'm a part of the mainstream media. I don't want to get too specific or identify myself. I will say I work for a mid sized to small market, and am linked to one of the major affiliates. I work in local news though, not a national outlet.

I am not here to defend journalism or make excuses. But I am here to answer any questions I can. Maybe I can shed some light on some stuff. I am open to a friendly conversation. Be polite with me and I'll show you respect right back.

I'll get on here a couple times a day and try my best to answer whatever I can!

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Newsie229

I went to journalism school as well. Worked for Fox44 in Waco for a while.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: SpeakerofTruth

Sic em bears!

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I have a syndicated Sportstalk radio show.

+18 more 
posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   

How many times a week does George Soros send out his memos on what the Mainstream Media is required to broadcast?

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
A way to overhaul the issues in the MSM may just be similar to ending partisan politics. Start from the bottom up to help combat the corruption. Though, a lot of the local affiliates, which yes seem to have more freedom overall, though despite some things (for some interesting viewing seeing those videos of them saying the same scripted reactions on topics), also share AP and Reuters topics which indeed can have an agenda behind them. Thoughts OP?

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

You mean ol Georgeo as we call him. Kidding! I've never seen one. He wouldn't pass it along to the peons though. Ha

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Newsie229
I've never seen one.

Fake news!

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Lol. I was gonna ask who signs his/her paychecks- democrats or republicans... but i didnt want to sound rude.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Idreamofme
... but i didnt want to sound rude.

Thankfully one of us doesn't have a filter.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

How much money do you get for being a round earth shill?

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

Any of our national stories come from AP or our affiliate. I really do see an agenda in the AP. They are so damn slanted.

The scripted reactions to topics is stupid. It really sucks. A lot of that blame needs to be dropped on the FCC. Close Captioning rules have made it not just impossible but massively fine worthy to talk with a script scrolling at the bottom of the screen.

I agree. A change in journalism should start from the bottom up. The issue though, a mindset that is given to the kids coming out of college is take no money and you can be easily replaced. A news director has a stack of demos from people wanting to get in the biz.

I've seen way too many fresh eyed just out of school people come in only to have their spirits crushed.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Ha. I wish. I promise I would tell you if I ever had.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   

The scripted reactions to topics is stupid. It really sucks. A lot of that blame needs to be dropped on the FCC. Close Captioning rules have made it not just impossible but massively fine worthy to talk with a script scrolling at the bottom of the screen.

This is interesting. Are you basically saying that newscasters cannot go off the prompter so to speak and that they have to decide their reactions to the news prior to going on air?

edit on 23-5-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I work as a producer, writer, TriCaster, shooter sometime stringer in a medium mkt.

iatse and sag....union proud, union strong!

I prefer indy film and TV pilots but baby needs a new pair of shoes.
edit on 23-5-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-5-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

edit on 23-5-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

Man, with your username and that edit note, you better gear up to fight the Alex Jones fans.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Ha. I wish. I promise I would tell you if I ever had.

"says the following in Slingblade voice"

I can tell you're not from around here, a promise here is about as good as a roll of sandpaper next to the commode.

And a promise from someone in the media soaks the sandpaper in lime juice /sarc/
edit on 23-5-2017 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Dbl
edit on 23-5-2017 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
OK. I have a question. My cousin is a professional journalist and worked for many years for mid-range newspapers for a major media outlet. I believe they have over 100 newspapers nationwide and who knows how many other "media" outlets like radio and TV. He worked in the back rooms as a copy editor physically putting together the paper, writing headlines, editing the stories of the journalists or the wire and "making it all fit" on a daily basis. He is the only other person in the world other than my wife who I will listen to in regards to grammar, syntax and issues of language. He is that good and never patronizing. If he says, "This is how it's done." I believe him. He also speaks several languages fluently. Smart guy, but hey! What can I say? He's family.

He is basically a conservative, though I would not call him in any way radical. He has reported to me over many years that the typical newsroom is blatantly liberal to the point of stifling and killing any story that would paint conservatives in a good light and always running any story that would portray conservatives in a bad light. On George Bush (2), for example, he reported to me that his editor would quash any positive story coming over the wires. The newsroom, he reported, was actively pro Democrat and worshiped Obama. No one in the newsroom could voice anything pro-Bush or anti-Obama. He said to me once that he had said something disparaging about some Democrat and even the weatherman became livid with anger that he would say such a thing.

In other words, it was a toxic environment and pretty much on target with what we have seen the MSM doing here lately. He learned to keep his mouth shut because if he did not, in the current consolidating job climate of newspaper employment, he could be fired. All they needed was an excuse. He ran on his competence until he found a way to leave the newspaper business altogether and start his own business, with which he is fortunately doing very well. My question is: Have you encountered this sort of environment where you have worked? Is "free speech" alive and well, or is it only for the liberal viewpoint?

edit on 5/23/2017 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I'll ask the obvious question. What is the censorship like behind the scenes?

Are there certain topics you find you or your colleagues are discouraged from talking about?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join