It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toledo Police to given pre-arrest deflection powers. Police pass judgement and sentence.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Sounds more like summary sentencing to me. Police being able to pass judgement without a lawyer, judge, or jury. Yes its only 4 hour classes they can send you to, but how long till they expand their powers again.

"Toledo Police Officers will soon have a choice to arrest someone or to give them a second chance.

Police are getting training for pre-arrest deflection.

If an officer comes into contact with someone with drugs or someone who would usually warrant a disorderly conduct or obstruction of justice charge, the officer will have the choice to arrest the suspect or allow them the chance to take a class."

less than 50%
www.wtol.com...
edit on 5/23/172017 by jholt5638 because: adding link

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
It's a setup! of course people will opt for the class than not show and the result will be a bigger charge!!

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: jholt5638
They've aways had the power to arrest people, so the option of not arresting them looks like a reduction of police activity, not an expansion.
Possible explanation; pressure on the judicial and prison systems makes it desirable (from the official viewpoint) to ease up up on the campaign against crime.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I can see that, but I guess I'm afraid that the sheeple will see this and see less people in jail. They may decide why bother with all the cost of court and just let police be the judges. No lawyers, no jury of your peers. Only the opinion of the Officer

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I don't see a problem with this. Seeing as how jail can ruin a person's life, letting an officer use discretion to keep a more people out of it is a good thing.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Sounds like s slippery slope to Judge Dredd. But at the same time,with limited power. And on the surface it may be a good thing.

It's always good to question things such as this and how it can be a step for something more sinister.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
But look at the ones they are starting with. Obstruction and Disorderly Conduct are the charges they toss on you when they have nothing else. 9 times out of 10 you get both kicked even with a public defender or even without one. SO the net effect is no change in jail population. It's a ploy to get people to accept the idea that police sentencing them unilaterally.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
How much do they charge for the "class"?

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Why don't you actually wait until such things are happening to complain about them instead of pitching this slippery slope? Everything you've reported so far makes this look benign and like this will be a good thing.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

That's what the first thing that came to my mind was. Used to be the saying was "You can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride." Now it's "You can beat the rap but you can't beat the ride OR the fee."

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
It's the police's job to enforce laws not to determine punishment that is the job of the prosecutor, judge and jury. Also the prosecutor and judge already have this they are called criminal diversion programs. And besides it assumes guilt to begin with the exact opposite of our system

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Just make Marijuana legal already so the cops can focus on real crimes.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I guess I'm not surprised. people just surrender their rights in boston a few years ago and peaceful protesters being they are unlawfully assembled before being hit with CS Gas and acoustic weapons. Now this, its clear the average American will gladly trade their rights and freedoms for security

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
You aren't trading anything away.

1) You can say you want to be charged so you can defend yourself in court. Going to jail is your right, and so is posting bail and hiring a lawyer and having a jury trial.

2) If you know you are busted, this is an excellent alternative to #1.

This "change" was created by our lawfully elected government (and their appointees). By being active in your local politics you can lobby for changes as you see fit.

I for one, applaud this move towards offering alternatives to #1. They need to expand this and make it nation-wide.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Why don't you actually wait until such things are happening to complain about them instead of pitching this slippery slope? Everything you've reported so far makes this look benign and like this will be a good thing.

It's actually a GREAT thing.

It's a slippery slope to a less oppressive government and one that's geared more towards rehabilitation of criminals rather than mindlessly punishing people for non-violent crimes.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
If it's at the option of the suspect, then there is no problem with it.

originally posted by: mikell
It's a setup! of course people will opt for the class than not show and the result will be a bigger charge!!

You didn't read the story, did you?

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Did you read the story AND process it?

This has nothing to do with judgment--the paperwork for the crime (charges) will still be drafted, but filing of said charges will be pending, determined by if said individuals complete the class (which was their choice to sign up for). If they complete the class, the charges are never filed--if they don't, the charges are filed and (I assume) a warrant issued for their arrest or a letter with a court date is sent to their address.

While it might assume guilt, that's the process through which arrests are always made--assumptions, though, do not a convict make, that requires proof. Not only does this option of a class remove the possibility of jail time and conviction, it could remove and charges ever being filed against you to start with.

Your claim that this is tantamount to LEOs "determin[ing] punishment" is ridiculous--this isn't a punishment, it's quite literally a stay-out-of-jail-free card.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

It's actually a GREAT thing.

It's a slippery slope to a less oppressive government and one that's geared more towards rehabilitation of criminals rather than mindlessly punishing people for non-violent crimes.

That's how I read it. Less people in jail is a good thing, no?

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It's win win.

Citizen get's to avoid a criminal record (or at the minimum, thousands of dollars sunk into the system to get out of a record).
and
State gets to generate funding without the expenses of jails, public defenders, etc.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey
Did you read the story AND process it?

This has nothing to do with judgment--the paperwork for the crime (charges) will still be drafted, but filing of said charges will be pending, determined by if said individuals complete the class (which was their choice to sign up for). If they complete the class, the charges are never filed--if they don't, the charges are filed and (I assume) a warrant issued for their arrest or a letter with a court date is sent to their address.

While it might assume guilt, that's the process through which arrests are always made--assumptions, though, do not a convict make, that requires proof. Not only does this option of a class remove the possibility of jail time and conviction, it could remove and charges ever being filed against you to start with.

Your claim that this is tantamount to LEOs "determin[ing] punishment" is ridiculous--this isn't a punishment, it's quite literally a stay-out-of-jail-free card.

Oh ok. I figured it'd have to work out like that somehow.

So in a way it's a deferral of filing charges (though they reserve the authority to file them if deemed necessary at a later date).

This really is an excellent idea. I'm all for it.

Because even if you can get acquittal or dismissal the mere fact charges are filed against you can destroy your life.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join