It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corporations GDP Larger Than U.S. Cities.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: PistolPete
a reply to: ignorant_ape

The point is that corporations, which have the rights of single individuals, are eclipsing the GDP of large economies made up of many private individuals.

Still, the combined $1.54 trillion value of the two companies is bigger than the financial sectors in Japan and the eurozone, which total $1.31 trillion. B. of A. Merrill called this a “breathtaking valuation stat.” The table below, which doesn’t account for Monday’s market action—both Apple and Alphabet were higher on the day—shows how other companies stack up to U.S. cities in this market caps–vs.–municipal GDPs comparison.

Alphabet is the real-time antagonist in the dystopian future of myriad sci-fi novels.

Who do you think the shareholders are of these corporations? INDIVIDUALS. Anyone who has a 401k or other retirement vehicles such as a pension is probably invested in these companies. You are free to buy a single or multiple shares of said companies. Takes all of 10 minutes to open a E-Trade, Schwab account, etc.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Takes all of 10 minutes to open a E-Trade, Schwab account, etc.

But that requires too much work.

Everyone knows that fiat money is suppose to come from the state robbing from the evil rich and givin to the poor.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 09:39 AM
link   
It's American capitalism. Trickle down, supply side economics where the taxpayers pay subsidies to the corps even though they are showing record profits.

Now you just stop that commie talk right now.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: PistolPete

Towards people that believe, even agree with slightly, or at times...yes you can, and it happens all the time here.

definition of bigoted

bigoted
[big-uh-tid]
adjective
utterly intolerant of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

So... Respectfully you are wrong.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: GraffikPleasure

I'm pretty sure the proposed huge tax cut for the rich and corporations will go to both left and right. The only business I can identify as a separate entity are the Christian ones that get special protection laws.

That you can identify is correct.

That goes for most all citizens. Corporations have contracts and dealings that we don't know about. Lobbying is part of this.

Non profits are also something to look at as well

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Market cap is measure of value, GDP a measure of transactions.

A more accurate (although still far from perfect) comparison would be companies revenue v GDP.

By this Apple is quite a bit behind Chicago.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

originally posted by: eXia7
Interesting how all 4 of those top corporations are data collection farms. I think its very dangerous for corporations to have so much power.

It's up to the consumer to use their products or not. There are some very good ways to stop most of the data from being sent to and collected by these companies if one chooses to use their products.

And that's the point--it's a choice. Would you rather the government have such power (which we all know the NSA does anyhow), or are you saying that nothing should have that much power?

Corporations/ Banks / Government all one in the same. These major corporations and banks install their top people into positions of power to write legislation on behalf of corporations and banks. The problem is the little people will never have a true voice in government. And you say people can choose to not use their products.. but can they really? Pretty much the top corps/banks have shuttered a lot of the competition.. thereby forcing consumers to use their services/products.

I don't see anybody making a counter-part to apple, google, amazon, microsoft etc etc

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Interesting how all 4 of those top corporations are data collection farms. I think its very dangerous for corporations to have so much power.

It's up to the consumer to use their products or not. There are some very good ways to stop most of the data from being sent to and collected by these companies if one chooses to use their products.

And that's the point--it's a choice. Would you rather the government have such power (which we all know the NSA does anyhow), or are you saying that nothing should have that much power?

Corporations/ Banks / Government all one in the same. These major corporations and banks install their top people into positions of power to write legislation on behalf of corporations and banks. The problem is the little people will never have a true voice in government. And you say people can choose to not use their products.. but can they really? Pretty much the top corps/banks have shuttered a lot of the competition.. thereby forcing consumers to use their services/products.

I don't see anybody making a counter-part to apple, google, amazon, microsoft etc etc

Did you know that nearly 90% of the F500 from 1955 doesn't exist anymore? This tells you that markets create and kill competitors. Entrepreneurs create and build companies. Some run their companies into the ground or a new entrant makes them obsolete.

It used to be all about Sears, JC Penney, Macy's, etc. Those companies are now on their death bed and Target and Wal-Mart rule the day.

Before Google there was Yahoo, Excite, and a bunch of other search engines. Google was the wacky upstart that no one saw coming. Remember MySpace? You know the ghetto Facebook?

At one point, Apple almost failed. IBM ruled. I remember when shares of Apple were in the teens. Remember Gateway and Compaq? Failed.

Businesses absolutely respond to consumer inputs and trends.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: eXia7
You are not forced to use their products, you choose to if you want to have certain things. You can get a flip phone, not a smart phone. You can opt out of email. You can save money in other ways.

The "little people" are some of the same people that started many corporations and banks that have grown exponentially since they started, and that you now deride and use as examples of how the "little people" will never have a true voice in government...even though these "little people" who now own corporations and mega-companies own the majority of our politicians.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   

a reply to: eXia7
You are not forced to use their products, you choose to if you want to have certain things. You can get a flip phone, not a smart phone. You can opt out of email. You can save money in other ways.

The "little people" are some of the same people that started many corporations and banks that have grown exponentially since they started, and that you now deride and use as examples of how the "little people" will never have a true voice in government...even though these "little people" who now own corporations and mega-companies own the majority of our politicians.

Tell that to my ISP

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Like I said, we need to be starting our own corporations and businesses, not complaining about the current corporations and businesses. We have the power, still, to effect all the change we want.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: olddognewtricks
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Like I said, we need to be starting our own corporations and businesses, not complaining about the current corporations and businesses. We have the power, still, to effect all the change we want.

I think that is an excellent idea. But, where does one find the money for start up costs? My experience with small business loans was a nightmare in the 80's. Most families don't have extra money laying around.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join