It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello! I'm new...and I work in the MSM

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Hello everyone!

Long time lurker.

I've recently started posting. Yes, you read that thread title correctly...I work in a tv newsroom. It's not national. I work for a local affiliate. I'm happy to answer any questions you guys might be curious about. I just don't want to get super specific and identify myself.

Not all of us are corrupt. We are, for the most part, emotionally disconnected much of the time...and a little twisted.

You'll never catch me defending the CNN's of the world.

Okay, done rambling. I'm happy to be here!

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Newsie229

What size is the area your station covers?
Diversity?

Who determines the stories you run?

Thanks and welcome to the asylum!

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Hi Newsie! Welcome to ATS!
Have given you your first flag, and hope there are many to come for you.

Peace.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

It's a mid to small market. Our diversity is pretty wide however!

As for who picks our stories...well...for the most part our reporters chose what they work on with out much intervention. They will get shot down if the story doesn't seem relevant.

Sometimes we get "must cover" stories from sales. So something like a grand opening or some bogus crap like that.

I have seen stories get killed because it pissed advertisers off. That's pretty frustrating from our end.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

Thank you! I'm happy to be here!

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Local affiliates are OK. They don't yet have the corrupted low-down the national news folks do.... aside from the usual script that gets handed down by the boss to read on the prime time local news hour.

Ben Swann is a great example of a local news hero turned internet all-star. Unfortunately, even he was reduced to a glorified weatherman once he started cracking the mysteries behind "Pizzagate".

Good luck! And welcome to ATS.
edit on 23-5-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Thanks for the information.

On the weekends I like to flip on my scanner on the overnights. The things that are actually happening and would/could/should be newsworthy are never what they report in my area. The poor black communities are generally the highlight stories run, whilst most everything else from similar circumstances are not. Every friggen weekend.

Was curious if there would be any insight to that from a local news standpoint.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Glad to have you with us, welcome.

My question: Have you done any conspiracy related stuff that got broadcasted?

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Well...depending on where you live, there might not be anyone in the newsroom overnight on weekends. If your local station doesn't have a weekend morning show, there probably isn't anyone there.

We are all about the police scanners. They tip us off to most breaking events.

I'm not sure why they focus where they do...but it could be a reporter/news director/consultant combination preference.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 01:08 AM
link   

It's a large enough area to warrant a weekend crew, which it does. Morning/noon/evenings live programs.

Given the diversity of the range the station I'm speaking of covers, it would be incredibly focused to only highlight the relatively small crimes perpetrated in those communities as opposed to business of the scanner. Always struck me as odd.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Not specific to your affiliate, what is the most misleading thing you have heard of a station doing (either one time, or as an ongoing practice) that you know to be true?

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Welcome to the ATS family. Local reporters are the best in my opinion. That comes from working for some small town newspapers. BTW, where is Jimmy Hoffa's body? lol

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

Thank you!

Sadly, no straight up conspiracy stories. With that said, you would be surprised with how many in our newsroom actually believe in a lot of that kind of stuff.

One example, we get more calls than most would like to admit about strange lights in the sky. One a local 9-1-1 dispatcher calls us to ask if we've heard anything.

Unfortunately, video talks. So without video...or some sort of official (yeah right) telling us something happened, we would come off like we made it up.

I firmly believe there's more to the world than we are being shown/told. I think it's why I got into this field in the first place.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: mrperplexed
Not specific to your affiliate, what is the most misleading thing you have heard of a station doing (either one time, or as an ongoing practice) that you know to be true?

That's easy...killed a big story because a big company bought ad time. A local medical facility received some really bad scores from the state. They give us a lot of money. The story never aired. With that said, our newsroom was pissed. This decision wasn't made by the news end. It was from the higher ups.

It's a lot of things like that.

I'm sure there's more, but that's just off the top of my head.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Welcome! Please make a new thread about your experiences if you want.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingForABetterLife

Jimmy Hoffa? Easy...they told us that when we were first inducted into the secret journalism society. He is under the old Tiger Stadium. haha

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I think I will tomorrow! Off to bed for me.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Welcome, Bernard Snewztle...

I'm happy to ask any questions you want to give answers to.

Will it rain tomorrow?

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   

I'm happy to answer any questions you guys might be curious about.
Was Seth Rich murdered because he was the DNC Wikileaks source?

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Newsie229

originally posted by: mrperplexed

That's easy...killed a big story because a big company bought ad time. A local medical facility received some really bad scores from the state. They give us a lot of money. The story never aired. With that said, our newsroom was pissed. This decision wasn't made by the news end. It was from the higher ups.

It's a lot of things like that.

I'm sure there's more, but that's just off the top of my head.

With this in mind do you feel your profession could contradict your morals - or maybe already does? Where do you see yourself in ten years time?

Welcome to ATS

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join