It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm giving up food

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'm not putting this in the Health & Wellness forum as it's not something I've researched, tested, or advise.

I caught myself in a big mirror today out in public (all the mirrors in my apartment are covered with posters of Kurt Russel
)

I realized I've become a large sack of potatoes. 2 years ago I was 190 lbs (standing at 6 foot even,) and I was feeling really great about myself inside and out.

Things happened: women first, booze second, apathy third. Recently I stepped on the scale and the scale said "get off me!" I weighed in at a whopping 240.

Well, I thought about what I was doing 2 years ago--it's pretty much what I'm doing today. The only thing that has changed is my attitude and outlook really.

I'm determined to get back to where I was before the ship crashed.

Increasing activity in my non-working hours will help, but I also burn a lot of calories while working so I'm not super concerned.

I think the most important change I can make right now is diet. I'm going to have to say goodbye to all the things I love, and I'm going (almost) total produce aisle. That means no more pasta, lasagna, pizza. I'm getting rid of the starchy rice and potatoes. I'm cutting out the quick fixes like cheeseburgers and chicken wings. I am giving up elaborate meals that involve cooking multiple ingredients.

This isn't about health. This isn't about vegetarianism. This is about replacing binging with minimalism.

Fruits for breakfast, vegetables for dinner. Perhaps a salad here and there with lemon juice and olive oil. I also bought a couple ears of corn as a dinner option. Although it's a grain, it's something that requires no cooking or processing and it grows out of the good Earth so I'm good with that.

I will soak fresh things in water + vinegar to clean and help flush out some of the toxins that can't be avoided.

I am also going to make a few exceptions for a smaller food group that will include nuts, seeds, cheeses, and perhaps beef jerky. Basically, this group consists of snacking items I can eat while on the run (aka working.) I'm keeping meat to a minimum, but not throwing it out because I want to lose weight and feel good, not become sickly and anemic!

I love cheap beer. That's out! I'm not giving up alcohol though. I'd only give that up if someone I love asked me to. So yeah, switching to gin and wine only. Other than that I pretty much only drink water and iced tea anyway so I don't get many liquid calories to begin with.

I'll either feel good again or die trying! Got any tips or advice on this minimalist's produce diet?

edit on 22-5-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

My advice? Cut down gradually. it's easier than a cold turkey diet. Also, allow yourself a cheat day. Maybe eat Mediterranean all week (fish, lean protein, lots of veggies) and allow yourself some fat on Saturday. Make sure you also do a nice workout that day.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

bark and nettles for a while ?

Jackie Chan goes running in a anorak
says you sweat lots and burn off lots of fat

sex is good for losing weight
combined with a good diet
you might lose a few pounds

edit on 22-5-2017 by kibric because: boo

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I realized I've become a fat sack of potatoes.

You and me both mate , sucks don't it.
Your thread is reflective of conversations I've had with myself recently , problem is bad habits and trying to avoid them.

I've never been overweight but now like yourself I am , perhaps suggestions posted here could help both of us.

Good luck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Be careful of wine....1 glass of red every now and then is ok , but wine can really pack on the pounds. ...lots of water is good, but too much water can also flush out electrolytes and vitamin you need . Be careful of that.....and too much tea can build up minerals in your kidneys and give you kidney stones....be careful,of,that too....put some fresh tuna or salmon on your salads for o mega 3 .

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha
I
Got any tips or advice on this minimalist's produce diet?

I watch what I eat during the week so I can enjoy myself on the weekend.

Your weekday diet should consist of varying amounts of croutons, bottled air and tissues.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Lean proteins, green vegetables, lots of water and a sensible workout program will get you where you want to go.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Remember, wine is better for your heart than gin

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I just bought bigger pants.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Don't try to go cold turkey. That's a recipe for failure. It's strictly a matter of calories in, calories out. Try smaller portions. Rather than a whole sandwich, eat half a sandwich. Rather than a huge glass of OJ, drink a couple of ounces. That kind of approach is the ticket to success.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mousygretchen
Remember, wine is better for your heart than gin

But gin & tonic is good for so many other things wrong with me

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   

make sure you sleep enough - latest studies show the effects of sleep deprivation

dailyburn.com...

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Indeed. There is a link between sleep habits and appetite. Narcoleptics tend to have larger appetites due to the neurological crossfires that cause us to feel sleep deprived.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

As a personal trainer, only advice I can give you is -

One salad won't make you skinny, one burger won't make you fat. It's what you consistently do.

Phases never last, it has to be a slow and gradual life style change.

Sugar is the worst thing for you if you want to lose weight.

Eating healthy fats makes you burn more fat. (Nuts, oils, avocado, dark chocolate, etc), but beware these are high in calories.

The formula to lose weight -

Eat less calories than you expend = lose weight

Eat more calories than you expend = gain weight

Take your weight and multiply it by 18-20 to find your maintenance calories. (The amount to stay the same weight)

Subtract 300-500 calories a day to lose weight.

Exercise / lift heavy.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I just bought bigger pants

edit on 22-5-2017 by kibric because: boo

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Can't I just have a new thyroid?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

It's tough I know. I went from 20+% bf a few years ago, to being -10% and becoming a personal trainer. The hardest part is starting and fully commiting. But I promise once you will your way past the first month, you will start to enjoy it and become more motivated once you start to feel/see results.

Good luck.

If you need a workout plan or some guidance send me a PM. I can help you out.

edit on 22-5-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Your wallet will see the most immediate benefits, trust me. That alone will continue to inspire as you will have money for other fun stuff now. Like paintballing, tubing with friends, kayaking, skydiving etc. etc..

Quick meals cost a lot over a month.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I had success on Medifast. A little pricey but very easy to do:

Medifast

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Not sure I totally agree. Produce aisles are the biggest earners for most grocery stores. It's going to be a more costly diet I think.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join