It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help me understand---Why Autonomous Cars?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

No I don't think so, not to start with anyway, too much distrust and rightly so.
We need to make sure the systems are safe enough before we go fully automated.

For the 1st few generations I think it will be automated but a driver has to be in the seat.

They need to come up with a recognised standard and then certify for it use in all vehicles.
You then remove the problem of multiple systems competing as that usually means a sacrifice in safety.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I can think of a few reasons, extra sleep time on the way to work, drunk/intoxicated home from a party, sex on a long journey with a hot partner, even just chilling back posting on ATS.
I'd definitely buy one, but I wouldn't want to lose the choice of driving my own car with a steering wheel.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

What would be really cool is if the car system could tell if you were driving drunk, using your phone while driving, falling asleep at the wheel, or driving recklessly - then just took over the driving if you were doing any of those things. It would be like "nope, you're screwing up - you don't get to drive today."

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Yep. It's even more daunting when we look at the number of injuries caused by car accidents. The numbers I'm seeing range in the millions per year (though I admittedly haven't looked for any definitive source). Then there are the constant car insurance rate increases caused by those accidents. I'd imagine people would want some self-driving technology on their cars just to keep their car insurance costs down.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

The biggest bonus of self-driving vehicles will be faster traffic on interstates and motorways.

UK motorways are limited to 70mph although you can overtake police at 80-85mph with no problems. Inside lanes carry traffic travelling from 45mph and upwards to low 80s depending on how busy it is.

Self-driving cars would be able to pull the 45mph drivers up to 70mph making the inside lane faster by average with little or no need to overtake.

The 2nd lane could carry traffic travelling at more than 80mph because the braking distances would be calculated. No more bottle-necks. In theory, speed would become trivial so we'd be able to travel at 110mph with the flow of traffic.

Downsides are how so many of us absolutely LOVE driving. Gears, clutch and handling are part of the experience of living on the road. I love hitting the apex of roundabouts in 3rd gear and powering out into 4th. Wrapping it round familiar bends and tapping the accelerator is one of the joys of driving. There's that symbiotic thing when someone is so keyed in to their car that feedback through the transmission and even a tyre at low pressure is part of the awareness. It's Zen.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Haha yes definitely!
If I had one though I'd never drive after a party or whatever, let the machine take me home and chill out would be my mantra.
Yes there is the risk of system failure but there's always the risk of some nutter jumping a red light when I do the driving.
Yep, I'd take the risk and put my life in the hands of a computer.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The self driving car thing will be introduced slowly.

A few people have mentioned cars that "detect" when the driver isn't paying attention- these already exist, sort of.
Newer model work vans have sensors up front- collision detectors. They detect if you're about to slam into something, and preemptively slam on the brakes for you.
they'll call it "automatic collision detection", or something...

Anyway, I've been in one barreling down the road at 90. Anyone who works in a trade knows- those work vans fly down the road, and the police generally leave them alone. I was doing a ride-along, helping out on an after hours job.
Cruising down the highway, 7pm in decent weather, good lighting, very light traffic, having a great conversation with the driver about how stupid customers can be with their money.
Suddenly, the computer goes to FULL STOP and the van grinds to a near halt in the middle of the highway, from 90 down to about 15 before it lets go of the brakes. Tools flying everywhere we're both freaking out trying to figure out WTF is happening, he's trying to control the steering wheel enough to pull off the main road.
We pull over once it lets go of the brake to try and figure out what happened. Nothing. Everything seems fine, no damage so we didn't hit anything, no flat spots on tires... but all four wheels are burning hot, as if someone had just ridden the brakes hard.
After a few minutes of wiping the back of our legs on the side of the road, we braved getting back in and heading down the road. Turns out, he's never experienced that before either- but he's heard stories, as that company has dozens of that model van in the fleet. I did a search on the van- it's got automatic braking systems... and while I couldn't find any video/proof of that model doing this on the internet, I do see plenty of information on other vehicles with braking systems pulling dumb #.
One model car even freaks out and derails itself if you try and take it through a car wash.

Scary stuff. The integration is inevitable, though. Backup cameras are mandatory in cars now. Soon, automatic braking will be... possibly folllowed by automatic cruise control, where the car takes over speed control when you're in a train of self driving cars, removing control from the driver.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
There'll be a reason they're getting pushed so regularly by google through the msms , maybe cos the don't want you having autonomy anymore .

"State the reason for your journey ..."

"Sorry , that area is a restricted zone ..."

"Please insert your bankcard before travel ...."

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

I can think of a few reasons, extra sleep time on the way to work, drunk/intoxicated home from a party, sex on a long journey with a hot partner, even just chilling back posting on ATS.
I'd definitely buy one, but I wouldn't want to lose the choice of driving my own car with a steering wheel.

Spot on.

People could be watching films or just having a breakfast cuppa and bowl of weetabix. Drink-driving could be over. As long as you can open the door and say, "Home," you'd be laughing.

Even without drink-driving, we'd be able to drive to town and tell the car to go home. Saves on taxis.

Eventually, there'll be an app to *summon* the car no matter where you wake up

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I have automatic collision detection on my car. It has gone off unnecessarily a handful of times. In reading forums, it seems like some road inclines can cause it to go off prematurely. As the grade of street increases, it may trip the radar. Sometimes it could be something as simple as road debris hitting a sensor. I had it slam on brakes once for a car making a right turn in front of me. I saw the car and no way was I going to hit it, but the radar pick it up slowing down abruptly and slammed on brakes. Freaked me out as I was not expecting it and it was totally unnecessary.

I have mixed feelings about a lot of this tech. In some ways, it is making people WORSE drivers than before as they can't drive without the aids. Have you seen some people trying to parallel park without backup cameras these days?

My buddy joked he has a great anti-theft device in his car... a stick shift.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
Downsides are how so many of us absolutely LOVE driving. Gears, clutch and handling are part of the experience of living on the road. I love hitting the apex of roundabouts in 3rd gear and powering out into 4th. Wrapping it round familiar bends and tapping the accelerator is one of the joys of driving. There's that symbiotic thing when someone is so keyed in to their car that feedback through the transmission and even a tyre at low pressure is part of the awareness. It's Zen.

Uh, but aren't manual transmissions pretty much a niche market at this point? This article from 2016 says that less than 3% of cars sold in the US have manual transmissions (HERE). I'm just pointing out that far fewer people seem to enjoy that than what you may think.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
autonomy
ɔːˈtɒnəmi/Submit
noun
the right or condition of self-government.
"between the First and Second World Wars, Canada gained greater autonomy from Britain"
a self-governing country or region.
plural noun: autonomies
"the national autonomies of the Russian Republic"
freedom from external control or influence; independence.
"the courts enjoy a considerable degree of autonomy"
synonyms: self-government, independence, self-rule, home rule, sovereignty, self-determination, freedom, autarchy; More

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Not in the UK, majority of cars are manual transmission.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

True. After a quick search, it seems like the US is the main haven for automatic transmissions. Which makes sense, since even I never learned to drive a manual. I just don't care about any of that stuff since I care more about the destination than the journey (when it comes to cars, travel, etc).

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Oh it's massively different here, some manual drivers even look down condescendingly at automatic drivers.
I try not to feel superior, but when I meet someone who passed their test in an automatic I do. They can only legally drive automatics lol.
edit on 22.5.2017 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

In other words, I suck? I see how it is... LOL

In all seriousness, I've never even had the inclination to learn it. It literally inspires nothing in me. Then again, I also don't care for F1, Nascar, or any of that stuff either. And after driving for 10+ hours straight on some trips, I would gleefully welcome a self-driving car for any long trip. I'd imagine that manual transmissions would suck horribly when dealing with stop & go traffic on the interstate, especially on long trips. But to each their own, I guess.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Lol different worlds is all!
I'm with you on the self driving car though, definitely see situations I'd choose that over driving.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

It's all good, man. My older brother loves manual transmissions & tried to teach me 2 or 3 times when I was trying to get my first car. I got the basic concept but simply couldn't understand the point in having to do extra stuff just to be able to drive. Even my younger brother likes them, though I think he only does for the sports cars. It just never interested me.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

It's about feeling that engine, knowing that clutch.
I'd be gutted if it became all self driving cars, I'd miss the connection between human and machine.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   

UK here. Drivers prefer manual compared to the 'stick shift' niche in the USA.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join