It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burn the House to Kill a Fly - Notre Dame grads don't know the meaning of Sacred

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
At first I thought... good they protested in a civil manner.. I can applaud that.

But once you get past the surface and think a bit deeper, as already mentioned they robbed themselves of the chance to celebrate their day in front of all their classmates, families and dignitaries.

I saw some of the kids claimed it was to stand in solidarity with people targeted by Trumps policies...I wish the reporter had asked a follow up question... Outside of a couple of executive orders that have been blocked... exactly what has been done?

It honestly looked to me like these were the kids that got swayed by a charismatic teacher to score political points against a guy that could care less if they listened or walked out.

The folks I know that have graduated from Notre Dame are irritated... they dont even like Pence, as I have been told a ND graduate should listen and use critical thinking to pick apart the speech he gives... not what he has done, or (as mentioned) you take a day that was supposed to be about the students... and make it about a politician.

Also Pence = Hitler... LOL... not even in the same hemisphere... failure in critical thinking with that thought.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
The wife retired from ND. Sh posted something the other day and a woman unloaded on her about it. Anyway the woman that was so proud of them is having a hard time because she has no education and no childern at home for welfare or with jobs to help her out.

To her it's all about the free stuff she might not get. Now what a 55 year old woman working at a party store gets is a few dollars and unlimited attention of horny that are around for a week or two.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Modern America. People whose beliefs don't match that of a group or person are wrong.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

I'm:actually starting to think the majority of those who are supporting this staged walkout either never attended college, couldn't hack college workload, or got their online degree in underwater basket-weaving. Without the hard work behind it, I guess commencement isn't worth that much to those who couldn't attain it.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

3. "We stood in solidarity with our fellow LGBT students and citizens who are discriminated against now and potentially in the future by the legislative acts of this former governor and now Vice President of the United States. We are doing so peacefully and quietly so as not to disrupt the whole event for anyone else. We are standing up with our convictions and allowing others to have theirs."

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: mikell

I'm:actually starting to think the majority of those who are supporting this staged walkout either never attended college, couldn't hack college workload, or got their online degree in underwater basket-weaving. Without the hard work behind it, I guess commencement isn't worth that much to those who couldn't attain it.

TheRedneck

Oh lord. Really... This in no way lower the work you put in to school. People are free to chose their own beliefs.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Across the country, successful people are now thinking "I hope I don't get asked to speak at Notre Dame. I'd hate to turn them down."

Only the people who want to take civil rights away from others. Other successful people, like Obama or Warren Buffet or Bill Gates or Bernie Sanders, aren't thinking any such thing.

Employers are looking at this and thinking "Did any of these spoiled children apply to my comoany?"

Only those who don't value civil rights for all. Companies like Apple and Microsoft would love to hire these smart students.

We are talking about Mike Pence, not about the graduates and their awesome achievement.

We certainly are talking about these graduates. If they hadn't walked out, we wouldn't even know they existed.

Average people are thinking "These Millennial are getting crazier by the minute. They don't have any respect even for themselves."

By "average people", you're talking about the low-information voters on the right? You're are probably correct on that one.

The graduates have made a decision that will likely become a regret later in life and is irreversible.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on that one, because we won't know until many years from now. All I know is, the few times I peacefully protested in my college days are definitely not sources of regret for me, as they were on subjects that were and still are very meaningful to me.

edit on 22-5-2017 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

No, it doesn't, and yes, they are.

But it seems so many supporters of the walkout (not participants. They knew, or should have known, what they were giving up) have completely misguided ideas of what a commencement is and how it works.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

What one perceives as strength, another can perceive as weakness, so I guess it's all subjective.

Personally I would not have walked out in this situation because i would perceive that as weakness. There are other ways to send a message without sending a bigger one about yourself. To each their own I guess.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

What one perceives as strength, another can perceive as weakness, so I guess it's all subjective.

Personally I would not have walked out in this situation because i would perceive that as weakness.

yes, it's all subjective

The other side would see those walking as the strong ones.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Why yes, I attended and graduated college. I guess I'm not as sentimental as you about ceremonies. I actually graduated in the summer because I had to drop a semester when my grandfather was dying and we were leaving town every couple of weeks because he was constantly on his "death bed". Not that I'm blaming him in any way, but the fact is, I had to go to summer semester to fulfill my graduation requirements and get my diploma. Because of that, I didn't attend the graduation ceremonies. But I got my diploma. WIN!

It's been 35 years since then. Trust me, on my death bed (hopefully after at least another 35 years), I won't be moaning, "but I never attended my college graduation ceremony!"

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I'd be interested to hear exactly what policies these KIDS are opposing...
Most likely they don't really know other than Pence triggers them.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
I'd be interested to hear exactly what policies these KIDS are opposing...
Most likely they don't really know other than Pence triggers them.

I think they were pretty clear what policies they were opposing.

From the OP's article (you should read it sometime):

Protest organizers said in a statement that in addition to Pence's "target[ing] the civil rights protections of members of LBGT+ community," they were protesting that Pence had "rejected the Syrian refugee resettlement program, supported an unconstitutional ban of religious minorities, and fought against sanctuary cities."

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Some people don't need ceremony to lend an air of accomplishment. What was learned, worked for and accomplished is what matters.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Only the people who want to take civil rights away from others.

OK, I'm going to call you on this one. That's a false narrative, and you know it.

Other successful people, like Obama or Warren Buffet or Bill Gates or Bernie Sanders, aren't thinking any such thing.

Possibly. So your point is that this will make sure only liberal speakers will be used in the future? So much for equality and free speech if that's the goal.

Only those who don't value civil rights for all.

More false narrative. It's very hard to have a civil conversation when one is continually making such wild assertions.

Companies like Apple and Microsoft would love to hire these smart students.

Possibly, but if so I really feel sorry for them if they someday hire the wrong person and everyone walks out in protest.

We certainly are talking about these graduates. If they hadn't walked out, we wouldn't even know they existed.

Seems to me we're talking about Pence more.

By "average people", you're talking about the low-information voters on the right? You're are probably correct on that one.

Hmmm, that would be the same voters that just rejected the Democrats in the White House, House, and Senate. Well, you just called them names, so they'll agree with you now.

I guess we'll just have to disagree on that one, because we won't know until many years from now. All I know is, the few times I peacefully protested in my college days are definitely not sources of regret for me, as they were on subjects that were and still are very meaningful to me.

True, I can only go from my perspective.

A question: did you protest policies or people? I am still looking for an answer to my question in: this post.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Some people don't need ceremony to lend an air of accomplishment. What was learned, worked for and accomplished is what matters.

Agreed. And part of what was learned was that refusing to listen to people you disagree with will lead to people celebrating you as a morally virtuous and brave person.

That is a lesson that will stick with these kids and lead to negative consequences for them and society as a whole.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Fair enough. Several of my classmates didn't attend commencement; their choice. But those who didn't attend, didn't attend. These graduates attended, for the express purpose of staging a walkout.

Isn't that like driving to the theater so you can refuse to see a movie?

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   

OK, I'm going to call you on this one. That's a false narrative, and you know it.

It certainly is not false narrative. He wants to ban gay marriage, he wants public accommodation retail establishments to be able to kick gays out whenever they want, he wants to ban a woman's right to end a pregnancy where there is a genetic abnormality, he'd love to ban a woman's right to choose altogether if he had the power. He is what is known as a Dominionist, which is similar to the Taliban, only with Christian laws running the country. Civil rights don't matter to that kind of person. Only God matters (his God).

Possibly. So your point is that this will make sure only liberal speakers will be used in the future? So much for equality and free speech if that's the goal.

Nope, not my point at all. Pence was invited, was he not? He chose to go - so will others. Some will refuse. That's their choice.

Possibly, but if so I really feel sorry for them if they someday hire the wrong person and everyone walks out in protest.

Just because someone didn't walk out in protest at the ceremony, doesn't mean they were the "right person" to hire any more than the one who did walk out. Lots of reasons someone could be a good employee and lots of reasons someone could be a bad employee. Besides, strikes happen lots of times - and many times the strikers didn't even go to college at all. Imagine that!

Seems to me we're talking about Pence more.

Seems to me you're wrong. Are you saying that if these students didn't walk out, you would know who they were?

Hmmm, that would be the same voters that just rejected the Democrats in the White House, House, and Senate. Well, you just called them names, so they'll agree with you now.

Don't gloat too much - things have a way of turning around. At least that's been my experience with elections in my lifetime.

A question: did you protest policies or people?

Both.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The permanently outraged, angry mob strikes again. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

They showed up and walked out because they had a message for Pence. They wanted to communicate how they felt without totally disrupting it for everyone else. If they simply didn't show up, people might have thought they were just hung over from partying the night before, or just didn't really care about the ceremony. They cared. They cared enough to communicate their displeasure with Pence and his ideology/policies, which you have agreed is their right.

So what's the problem again? I forget. Oh yeah, they're liberals.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join