It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burn the House to Kill a Fly - Notre Dame grads don't know the meaning of Sacred

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
It was sacred enough to them that they chose to leave in protest of what they viewed as the ruination of it.

Why is that such a hard concept to understand? Because it's sacred to them they shouldn't have left it? Would that same logic apply if an imperial wizard from the local klukkers was there to speak? Pretty sure not.

Then they must not hold their country to be sacred because they haven`t left yet to protest the things the country is doing that they disagree with.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I didn't try to define what anyone else considered sacred. They did. That was the student's words, not mine.

You're correct that I don't define what is sacred to others. But neither do I nor you nor the students define the word 'sacred.' We only use or misuse it.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: JDeLattre89

Did Tippin write it? I thought it was a remake of a much older recording...

Might be wrong on that...

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus

originally posted by: Shamrock6
It was sacred enough to them that they chose to leave in protest of what they viewed as the ruination of it.

Why is that such a hard concept to understand? Because it's sacred to them they shouldn't have left it? Would that same logic apply if an imperial wizard from the local klukkers was there to speak? Pretty sure not.

Then they must not hold their country to be sacred because they haven`t left yet to protest the things the country is doing that they disagree with.

So, they decided to respect their fellow graduates by not standing and shouting in protest, they quietly walked out. Seems the only thing to make people like you happy is if people sit and obey.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
a reply to: kaylaluv

First off, children take cues from people besides just their parents.

Then the parent wasn't to blame for the son not paying attention to his lesson.

Second, I listened to the speech. He said none of that.

His past speeches and more importantly, his actions as governor were the true reason for the walk-out protest. It wasn't because they were bored with sitting there.
edit on 22-5-2017 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Are you saying you think I don't believe all people are equal and deserve respect?

I must have misread your post... of course you wouldn't say that!

TheRedneck

link   
I have no problem that these kids walked out. It is better than the alternative of getting violent or disruptive.

But the ultimate lesson here is that those kids will falsely be lead to believe that they did something heroic or moral, when in reality what they did is a symptom of what is wrong politically with this country.

They refuse to listen to someone with ideas different to their own. Granted, they have that right, and they were polite enough to allow those who wanted to hear Pence do so, and I commend them for that. But a refusal to even sit and listen to someone who you have political disagreements with is now becoming the norm.

The same people on this thread celebrating these children post routinely on threads saying that people need to hear one another out and be less divisive.

And its also funny listening to the selective outrage of people who think Pence is some sort of hate monger (btw there are things i dislike about him) yet won't bat an eye at an academic system that has curriculum in almost every university about how white people or men are evil. This hatred is not only allowed, but is encouraged. And to walk out of these hate filled classes leads to a failing grade and potentially life ruining consequences.

link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Imagine if Hillary had won, it could'a been Maxine or Nancy dribble crap on someones graduation video about the benefits of bombing Syria and why Russia should be nuked (or more precisely, open up the war chest).

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

You absolutely misread my post. I wasn't referring to you at all. I was simply responding to the poster who said that we should completely change our beliefs over time. I was saying that some beliefs don't change (nor should they). My example was one that is personal to me (and speaks against Pence's beliefs).

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Then the parent wasn't to blame for the son not paying attention to his lesson.

You would seriously be more concerned with blame than concerned about the child?

His past speeches and more importantly, his actions as governor...

You're really big on eternal condemnation, aren't you? I'm glad I don't go to your church.

I'd love to read more on this. Got any links?

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
This is much ado about nothing, Red. Maybe the ceremony meant more to you, being older or something. My buds and I had our degrees mailed to us so we could leave for the beach before commencement. At the time, it seemed to be waiting for hours in a packed auditorium,(LARGE university) jumping through more hoops, which we'd had enough of. I did get a cap and gown so my parents could take pictures of me though. Oh, ditto on the second go-round.

Kudos to those kids for a peaceful protest.

Anyway, congratulations on graduating. It is a noble accomplishment.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

But the ultimate lesson here is that those kids will falsely be lead to believe that they did something heroic or moral, when in reality what they did is a symptom of what is wrong politically with this country.

You are better with words than I am, obviously. That is exactly my point! Well said!

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Had it been Hillary or Kaine speaking, I doubt there would have been a walkout. Plenty of disgust, yes, but not a walkout.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Imagine if Hillary had won, it could'a been Maxine or Nancy dribble crap on someones graduation video about the benefits of bombing Syria and why Russia should be nuked (or more precisely, open up the war chest).

I'm thinking that this would be a completely different thread, with the OP applauding the graduates for walking out on Maxine Waters or Nancy Pelosi.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

They are already very familiar with his ideas. This was not a discussion forum - it was a speech, which means the only way they could debate would be to shout out during his speech. You would think that was rude, wouldn't you?

If Hitler were to speak at a commencement after he had said and did such horrible things, and students were to walk out in protest, would you think they were immoral or "divisive" for doing so? Admittedly that is an extreme example, but the point is, these students were very much against what Pence stands for and what he has done or tried to do with legislation against gays.

Any student is free to drop a class that has curriculum they don't like or don't agree with. Not every single class in college discusses white privilege.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Disregarding the sacred aspect of this entire thing, I think walking out on anything because of differences is a sign of weakness. Like Redneck said, how is running away considered standing up? Protest has become the new trend because those that are promoting it, have those that want to exercise it, believe that they are doing something noble but in the end nothing is accomplished but a few pats on the back.

Some of you call it strength. One could argue it is selfish, egotistical, entitled narcism.
edit on 22-5-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Good! I was hoping I misread.

I happen to agree with you in that belief. I just don't agree that the best way to express that belief is to walk away from confrontations about it... especially when that involves walking away from something you have worked hard for and earned.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

I'm thinking that this would be a completely different thread, with the OP applauding the graduates for walking out on Maxine Waters or Nancy Pelosi.

Only if it were a different author. I am not a respecter of persons. I look at actions.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Bingo. Besides, it was simply a peaceful protest. It's what college students do! They have the right to express their dissatisfaction, and they did so in a peaceful way. Since when is that NOT okay? You shouldn't chastise a group of kids who are just now learning to think for themselves, and expressing those thoughts in an appropriate way.
Good grief. Different strokes for different folks. Each to his own, yada yada yada.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Sweet false equivalence bro.

I'd wager pretty heavily you know dick all about whether any of them have ever protested anything else.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join