It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is cultural appropriation really a thing?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Its not a real thing. Cultural sharing is a wonderful thing

etc

Barbecued Burgers and sushi for everyone

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
Next time someone gets mad at you for appropriating their culture -snip

Gonna guess that pretty much nobody on ATS has had this issue on the streets. Outside of some very fringe hyper-progressive safe spaces in berekley and perhaps a museum in NYC during summertime, such stuff lives as internet nonsense only...the place where autistic screeching is amplified due to them being just endless lolcows

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: User1138

I got something that would shut any Marxist whining on about cultural appropriation. Next time you even so much as overhear it from anybody, you make sure to call them out and demand that every number they use on everything they own be in Roman Numerals. Because 01234567890 is the Hindu-Arabic numeral system.

Let them know at how offended you are at their hypocrisy as well.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
IMO it's a "thing", to an extent. When cultural aspects, history and artifacts cross into kitsch and trends, yes it can be conveyed as such. The extent is shown in videos of people going off on someone such as the cab driver with his Hawaiian doll and being attacked by the passenger for it.

As would be the woman attacking the man for dreadlocks when they have spanned cultures and in his rebuttal video he didn't appear to be participating in appropriation. Appropriation would be; "weeaboos". "Blackface", is pretty shameful especially when it is used racially, which seems to be the use of it in most cases.

Right, but I think the key difference is whether the culture in question, is being celebrated and enjoyed, even if it is not 100% authentic. Vs. using a culture in a derogatory manner. The marxists seem to be trying to make all of cultural diffusion negative, and derogatory no matter the context.
edit on 21-5-2017 by User1138 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: underwerks

strip club tacos

mmm.... tacos at a strip club, you don't say??? Sounds like my kind of snack

Please do go on and elaborate

I pass by a strip club everyday that has Taco Tuesdays plastered on the window, and it always makes my stomach turn.

Then again, who knows. Maybe there's a disgraced master chef making magic in there in the back amongst the feather boas and g strings.

Then again one more time, there's probably a reason there aren't a lot of strip clubs in Zagat.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I have a horrible feeling these "cultural appropriation" types don't want me to eat Indian food anymore, being a white British man.

This presumably means I will have to eat English food, a fate worse than death.

On that basis this cultural appropriation stuff seems pretty great.

As a sidenote I find it fascinating how those who whine about cultural appropriation also advocate for a multicultural society. They seem like two inherently contradictory ideas. Unless you force it through some Soviet-style relocation program, enforced segregation and a special police force whose job is explicitly to go around looking for violations of "culture".

edit on -050011pm5kpm by Ohanka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: User1138

IMO it's a "thing", to an extent. When cultural aspects, history and artifacts cross into kitsch and trends, yes it can be conveyed as such. The extent is shown in videos of people going off on someone such as the cab driver with his Hawaiian doll and being attacked by the passenger for it.

As would be the woman attacking the man for dreadlocks when they have spanned cultures and in his rebuttal video he didn't appear to be participating in appropriation. Appropriation would be; "weeaboos". "Blackface", is pretty shameful especially when it is used racially, which seems to be the use of it in most cases.

Right, but I think the key difference is whether the culture in question, is being celebrated and enjoyed, even if it is not 100% authentic. Vs. using a culture in a derogatory manner. The marxists seem to be trying to make all of cultural diffusion negative, and derogatory no matter the context.

I don't agree at all when it turns into agenda at all by who ever it might be. Though, from that what I don't understand is if the said Marxists want to make diffusion negative, why is migration, melting pot cities, etc., such a big thing to them then if they don't want integration of cultures? That worked in the past such as in NYC for people to obtain work for example.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I just have one thing to say to those marxist that don't want me to appropriate a culture...

Tres plantas de ese edificio son de la compania. How do ya like them apples!!!

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Nope. Just another made up thing by the racists who have usurped the modern left to rail on the white man.

I see it as less of a conspiracy and more of just a way for weak people to feel like they have some kind of power.

What power came out of people complaining about this student?
Black face strudent- "feels good to be a n*"

Well as far as i can tell, she was enjoying the power of being black for a half hour or however long it took for her mask to set. Why do you assume that being black is negative?

Jokes aside, it was in poor taste but did she deserve to get kicked out of school? hell no! Colleges are also itching to race bait.

Bowling Green Student Mistakes Lab Equipment for Ku Klux Klan Hood

www.breitbart.com...
edit on 21-5-2017 by User1138 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

I don't agree at all when it turns into agenda at all by who ever it might be. Though, from that what I don't understand is if the said Marxists want to make diffusion negative, why is migration, melting pot cities, etc., such a big thing to them then if they don't want integration of cultures? That worked in the past such as in NYC for people to obtain work for example.

This proves their hypocracy, their narrative changes to suit whatever control they are looking for.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
So if the dominant culture *ignores* you, they’re evil.
And if they “appropriate” you, they’re evil too.
This is the postmodernist age.
Decontextualised, ambiguous, paradoxical, surreal.
Nothing is absolutely “this” or “that” anymore.
Anything can mean anything or nothing.
Try to catch up.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka
Nope. Just another made up thing by the racists who have usurped the modern left to rail on the white man.

I see it as less of a conspiracy and more of just a way for weak people to feel like they have some kind of power.

What power came out of people complaining about this student?
Black face strudent- "feels good to be a n*"

Well as far as i can tell, she was enjoying the power of being black for a half hour or however long it took for her mask to set. Why do you assume that being black is negative?

Jokes aside, it was in poor taste but did she deserve to get kicked out of school? hell no! Colleges are also itching to race bait.

Bowling Green Student Mistakes Lab Equipment for Ku Klux Klan Hood

www.breitbart.com...

Her poor taste was negative. Whether she wanted to pretend or not.

What would you say if an African American woman did a "white face" and said with that "feels good to be a whitey"?
edit on 21-5-2017 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   
"Gastronomically correct students" LMFAO

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Ban Subway for stealing the sandwich off the Brits

wiki

Where was the sandwich invented? "The bread-enclosed convenience food known as the "sandwich" is attributed to John Montagu, fourth Earl of Sandwich (1718-1792), a British statesman and notorious profligate and gambler, who is said to be the inventor of this type of food so that he would not have to leave his gaming table to take supper.

edit on 22-5-2017 by TheConstruKctionofLight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: User1138

Whatever you do
DO NOT
appropriate the Native American culture.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I'd say as long as she is doing it in good spirits, she can do whatever the hell she wants, it's a free country she could pretend to be a lizard and breath fire if it makes her happy. Don't they call it dragon kin or some crap?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

What if i'm part native american?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   

a reply to: Deaf Alien

What if i'm part native american?

Then you have lost according to your OP.

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Dude. What Marxists? What cafeteria?

posted on May, 22 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I think that is the reason I am so anti-left (I'm not that right) I'm Italian, Native American (Mohegan), Filipino, Chinese. My father was adopted by German immigrants and my mother is herself an immigrant. It makes me immune to their white guilt for slavery, privileges, etc. , that seems to rule america nowadays. I can't be racist (By their definition anyway since i'm a mixed minority) This is why when they find out my background they avoid debate and label me a brainwashed conservative. I'm a walking example of what they hope to achieve, and yet I despise their ideology. The irony.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join