It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

woman awarded 100k for starbucks coffee burns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Starbucks has been ordered to pay a Florida woman $100,000 after she suffered first- and second-degree burns from their coffee, her lawyers announced. Joanne Mogavero, 43, endured permanent scarring after the lid on a venti-sized Pike Place coffee popped off at a Jacksonville drive-thru window in 2014. The slip led to the scalding, 190-degree beverage to pour on her lap, her attorneys said in a statement. The lid “was either not attached properly or was defective,” her lawsuit said, according to a copy that HuffPost obtained.

During trial, a Starbucks representative reportedly testified that the company receives 80 complaints a month about lids coming off and leaking like this. Despite this amount, they said it “would not be relevant” to warn customers of this risk, Mogavero’s lawyers said

seems like a lot of cheddar to me...

defective lids? maybe i suppose

80 complaints a month is not really a lot considering how many cups they sell a day

www.quora.com...

According to a USA Today Article dated 2006, they sell over 4 Million cups of coffee a day. In 10 years time i think it's safe to say you can double that amount with the growth the company has had.

Another article written in 2013 says individual stores sell 1500 cups of coffee per day

i would think if the lid was defective a lot more than 80 of 1500/4,000,000(depending how calculated) would come off.

how can they know it was the clerks fault?
maybe the customer squeezed a little too hard?
maybe the lid was not on all the way and it was the clerk?

seems like 100k is a lot

wonder what the lady was wearing...i could see permanent scars if wearing a dress and it hit bare legs but if it went through clothes i wouldnt think she would have permanent burns

either way the woman is paid.....probably still drinks starbucks

My client didn’t want sympathy from the jury — she wanted justice — and the jury gave it to her with its verdict

nothing says justice like 100 yardsticks
edit on 20-5-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

It's quite possible that the burns were on her genitals given where people without cup holders often place their cups. I wouldn't cry for Starbucks, I think they can afford it.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Dear god.

Coffee is hot?

Does anyone else know about this?

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson

It's quite possible that the burns were on her genitals given where people without cup holders often place their cups. I wouldn't cry for Starbucks, I think they can afford it.

quite possible

if she got a burn on her monkey she should have got at least 200k

maybe starbucks lawyers should have argued she was an idiot for putting scalding coffee between her legs.
most cars have cup holders these days

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
That is quite a lot of cash and you could be right about her still drinking at Starbucks, after all she did just get a pay out from them, mind you she probably wouldn't want to spend on the place she received from, they might want there money back lol.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Dear god.

Coffee is hot?

well apparently not this lady or that lady that got 'justice' from mcdonalds back in the day

link   

No.

Either A) a defective employee or
B) a defective customer
edit on 20-5-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: DarkvsLight29
That is quite a lot of cash and you could be right about her still drinking at Starbucks, after all she did just get a pay out from them, mind you she probably wouldn't want to spend on the place she received from, they might want there money back lol.

can you imagine the justice of getting burned by the same place twice

thats a half a mill worth of justice right there

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

No.

Either A) a defective employee or
B) a effective customer

always option B
100% of the time

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Dear god.

Coffee is hot?

Right. A person who claims to be an adult burns themselves and than cries so loud that a private business has to pay them is exactly what is wrong with this country.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

dude a person can not be responsible for their actions these days

probably put the coffee between her legs to grab her s6 to tweet about her grande mocha latte with stevia and than BAM BITCH.......burns on the monkey

thats a possibility

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

I disagree. Either don't make your coffee scalding hot or have your idiot employees put the lid on right. They make them learn a new language, the least they could do is have them put the goddamn lids on right. This happened to me at Dunk's once with an ice coffee. It took all of my will power not to punch the kid in the head.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

dude a person can not be responsible for their actions these days

probably put the coffee between her legs to grab her s6 to tweet about her grande mocha latte with stevia and than BAM BITCH.......burns on the monkey

thats a possibility

That's the new trend, go to Starbucks and burn your snatch then tweet about it while on the way to court lol.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson
It took all of my will power not to punch the kid in the head.

ever try zoloft?

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I was going to start a Go-Fund-Me for making faulty coffee lids so I could be responsible for burning genitals of stupid people.

But once again, someone beat me to it.

Dammit.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

imagine youre with a woman...things are going good...you drop and #in darkman is staring at you

this is unacceptable

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Tiger balm could have fixed that.

Get rid of the drive thru, problem solved.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Keep in mind water boils at 212 F.

This reminds me of the media campaign against the elderly lady that got her crotch burned by MC'd's coffee. There was way more to the story. Here is a short clip.

edit on 20-5-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Good for her! She should have got $200K from the blood sucking corporation.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

ok..
the lady wasnt driving
the lady didnt want more money past medical bills
the coffee was hot

pretty much what i thought

700 people over 10 years got burned....wonder how many cups of coffee they sold over 10 years...

still man....coffee is hot....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join