It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Achieve Direct Counterfactual Quantum Communication For The First Time

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Science Alert
The science is pretty mind boggling to me, but I think what its saying is they have achieved some groundwork for quantum communication and perhaps even proved it can be done.

This is pretty big news

Theoretical physicists have long proposed that such a form of communication would be possible, but now, for the first time, researchers have been able to experimentally achieve it - transferring a black and white bitmap image from one location to another without sending any physical particles.

The idea is instant communication across vast distances without delay.
There has been speculation and debate on if this is even achievable...its the stuff that confused Einstein (and arguably invalidates the faster than light law to a degree).
I will wait for the ATS brain trust to explain further if this is just nonsense and the article is wrong, or if indeed this is the milestone it seems to be.

Reminds me of some years back when someone on ATS claiming to work for Nasa found out the rover on mars had a secret (already in use) quantum communication aspect to it. he made some pretty interesting claims that sounded pretty convincing, but the argument was that such a thing wasn't possible, therefore nonsense.

Alternatively, this isn't proving that at all but instead as stated only, that it would allow or communication between quantum sized objects without any particles going to and from.
Would be a good method for nanomachines becoming smart and taking orders.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Well, Einstein did mention that things were connected by some strange force, but there was no way to test it. He was saying things could be connected and simultaneously could be happening in sync. Was it spooky action at a distance or something like that?

So, yes, you should be able to write on a chalkboard somewhere and at another place the same time it will appear.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Way above my knowledge but i will watch this thread with intrigue

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

I thought the Chinese announced this last month? I will look for the article I read.

Here's the article I read, not on communication but quantum computing:

www.nextbigfuture.com... r-computer-next-year.html

Instantaneous communication over sub-space is pretty cool.

Now if they could invent sub-atomic fusion reactors we would solve our power problem. Of course, sub-atomic nuclear weapons might be the end.

edit on 15-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   
(pssst...)

Neoholographic – More evidence the wave function is real but non-physical.

TEOT’s own – Quantum Zeno Effect, Counterfactuality, and The Weeping Angels.

Crazy that communication can happen between particles with no intervening particle. Makes the whole debunk of Hawking that more interesting. Also may get an answer to ER= EPR.

Quantum mechanics can get counterintuitive real quick like. I'm still not certain if I fully get the ER=EPR and while reading up on that got even more sidetracked! QM is funny that way!

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

This requires a quantum channel to run between two sites, which means there's always a small probability that a quantum particle will cross the channel. If that happens, the system is discarded and a new one is set up.
To set up such a complex system, researchers from the University of Science and Technology of China placed two single-photon detectors in the output ports of the last of an array of beam splitters.

Because of the quantum Zeno effect, the system is frozen in a certain state, so it's possible to predict which of the detectors would 'click' whenever photons passed through. A series of nested interferometers measure the state of the system to make sure it doesn't change.

It works based on the fact that, in the quantum world, all light particles can be fully described by wave functions, rather than as particles. So by embedding messages in light the researchers were able to transmit this message without ever directly sending a particle.

In a way of looking at it this is like a cell phone. Information is sent without anything directly tying the commination physically, like a letter sent in the mail and delivered by a postal employee.

In this case instead of radio waves they are using light and it is that complicated to make such a thing possible.

edit on 15-5-2017 by Kashai because: Content

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Wondering how the NSA plans on intercepting these communications.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Anything that hits the press has already been researched, built, tested, and implemented by the military years ago.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: 123143
Anything that hits the press has already been researched, built, tested, and implemented by the military years ago.

Nonsense.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

originally posted by: 123143

Nonsense.

You need to educate yourself. It is common knowledge that the military is approximately 40 years ahead of the private sector.

The SR-71 Blackbird is a good example. It was a highly advanced design that first flew in 1962.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Well, Einstein did mention that things were connected by some strange force, but there was no way to test it. He was saying things could be connected and simultaneously could be happening in sync. Was it spooky action at a distance or something like that?

So, yes, you should be able to write on a chalkboard somewhere and at another place the same time it will appear.

The extra dimensions theory. Consider a sheet of paper representing a world that only has two dimensions. Particles can only move in two dimensions in that plane. Support you start poking holes through that paper and threading string through them using the third dimension (up and down). For any critter on that sheet of paper, those appear as two different pieces of thread or particle points. But to a critter in three dimensions, it's just a single piece of thread. Extend this to our world of three dimensions. What appears as a particle in our three dimensions could actually be a hyper-thread that goes through an extra dimension or more. Twist it at one end and the other end twists as well.

Alternatively, every particle is actually a probability cloud. Then these can be combined together and testing whether there's a particle at one place, reduces the combinations until there's only one outcome. The double hole experiment with light is the best example. There's also this X-ray system using quantum entangled pairs of photons at different wavelengths:

news.nationalgeographic.com...
phys.org...

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: 123143

The SR-71 was declassified quite a while ago.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai

The SR-71 was declassified quite a while ago.

Yes, but it wasn't declassified until the late 80's. No one had any idea we had built such an advanced aircraft in the early 60's.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

It is common knowledge that the military is approximately 40 years ahead of the private sector

You must not have actually served if you believe that.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

It is common knowledge that the military is approximately 40 years ahead of the private sector

You must not have actually served if you believe that.

Unless you actually work on classified projects you aren't going to know, are you?

I did serve, but not in a classified capacity.

If you research black projects, etc., all the evidence you need is right there.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

During the 1964 campaign, Republican presidential nominee Barry Goldwater repeatedly criticized President Lyndon B. Johnson and his administration for falling behind the Soviet Union in developing new weapons. Johnson decided to counter this criticism by revealing the existence of the Lockheed YF-12A Air Force interceptor

en.wikipedia.org...

YF-12...

The Lockheed A-12 was a reconnaissance aircraft built for the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) by Lockheed's Skunk Works, based on the designs of Clarence "Kelly" Johnson. The aircraft was designated A-12, the 12th in a series of internal design efforts for "Archangel", the aircraft's internal code name. It competed in the CIA's "Oxcart" program against the Convair Kingfish proposal in 1959, and won for a variety of reasons.

CIA's representatives initially favored Convair's design for its smaller radar cross-section, but the A-12's specifications were slightly better and its projected cost was much less. The companies' respective track records proved decisive. Convair's work on the B-58 had been plagued with delays and cost overruns, whereas Lockheed had produced the U-2 on time and under budget. In addition, it had experience running a “black” project.[1]

The A-12 was produced from 1962 to 1964, and operated from 1963 to 1968. It was the precursor to the twin-seat U.S. Air Force YF-12 prototype interceptor, M-21 drone launcher, and the SR-71 Blackbird, a slightly longer variation able to carry a heavier fuel and camera load. The A-12's final mission was flown in May 1968, and the program and aircraft retired in June. The program was officially revealed in the mid-1990s.[2]

A CIA officer later wrote, "OXCART was selected from a random list of codenames to designate this R&D and all later work on the A-12. The aircraft itself came to be called that as well."[3] The crews named the A-12 the Cygnus, suggested by pilot Jack Weeks to follow the Lockheed practice of naming aircraft after celestial bodies.

en.wikipedia.org...

Declassifying information is at the Discretion, in the United States of the President of the United States.

edit on 15-5-2017 by Kashai because: Added content

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
as a multiplayer game developer can't wait to have a node.js library for this

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I believe this was done with cesium atoms a couple of years ago.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Kind of reminds me of the phenomenon where two people think the same thing at the same time. Or when you think a word and someone says it (uncommon words even).

Im under the impression that quantum entanglement or precise quantum resonation can create instant and direct links between things, hence, quantum communication.

Perhaps it has to do with gravitational waves?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Sooner or later people are going to realize the word "Quantum" really just translates to...

..."We really don't have the slightest idea what the hell we're talking about, so we're going to completely obfuscate the issue and baffle you with a bunch of BS, but please, keep funding our research grants because we gotta' eat somehow...and picking up a shovel is definitely NOT an option!"

Quantum physics exists as a mechanism to attempt to prove Einstein wrong. Quantum physics is like Economics, or Statistics...you can make it anything you want it to be. The only rules are...you're wrong, now prove me wrong.

The ancient scholars of antiquity were more right than they ever knew when they said "You can't prove a negative".

Quantum mechanics
Quantum communication
Quantum underwater basket weaving
Quantum (insert subject of choice where you want to prove someone wrong and make a name for yourself).

Quantum physics - Rinse and repeat.

edit on 5/16/2017 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join