It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Let's conduct a social experiment: No political labels for a week

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Let's try something new for a change. Let's discuss our perspective without the use of political labels.

Here I will name a few and please feel free to add to the list:

Democrat, Republican, Liberal, Lefty, Right wing, Conservative, Libertarian, Fascist, Nazi, Anarchist, skin color, Religion and the list goes on. I think you get the idea.

It has come to my attention that we are becoming increasingly divided and driven apart by our religious ideology, race, political affiliation and so forth. The solution to this in my eyes to begin to debate our perspective stripped of the labels of these ideologies and strictly from the perspective we adhere too.

If we are going to move on and grow as a culture and species we need to learn to see past the labels and the ideas and look deeper into their meanings and the why's and what's. No more topical superficial thinking. We need to begin to look for deeper meaning and see how we are all connected.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Let's play Pinnacle, the one who gets the bid gets to call trump.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

It is possible to read/listen to someone else without taking their opinionated adjectives into account. I feel it's already almost mandatory if you wish to have prolonged discussion.

Apart from that, people will be people, be the change you want to see instead of wishing the world will change.

Just my 2cp

ETA: Just realized the irony of putting this in the pit.

edit on 13-5-2017 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   

All of these are POLITICAL labels?

""Democrat, Republican, Liberal, Lefty, Right wing, Conservative, Libertarian, Fascist, Nazi, Anarchist, skin color, Religion and the list goes on. I think you get the idea.""

cwm

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I agree, great idea it's long time needed being the CT community(and the site) is so divided now. Do I believe it will happen? Likely not being that many exist around these parts solely for that purpose. Unknowingly or just don't care, that is adding to the division where the focus is not where it should be.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   

This is a really good idea. I always try to do this anyway but lets see if anyone else climbs on board.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Personally, other than racial, I don't fit neatly into any of the categories so I never really mention them. On some threads people accuse me of having voted for Hillary and on others of being a Trumpkin. I agree that the labels allow us to make quicker prejudgments and therefore fit someone as either being in my camp or the other, instead of listening to what they are actually saying.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   
It remains yet to see, if Trump will make America great again, but his victory surely caused a downfall on the quality of this discussion board. So count me in on this experiment.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
N

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Be the change you want, friend. Start political discussions here and use none of those labels. When quoting or pasting text from outside sources, delete the political labels before you hit submit. Do it a lot, do it intelligently and keep doing it until you don't have to do it on purpose anymore. Until it becomes second nature to you.

Don't just do it here either, but other social media accounts you may have.

If that way of talking about politics catches on and more and more people add to that way of discussing politics, then it won't really feel like a political discussion anymore, but rather a realistic discussion. Realistic in the sense that the people talking about an issue will come across as actually wanting to solve the issue being discussed, and not appearing to want to be seen as being on one side of a fence or another.

It's a great idea. People might be surprised at how differently they look at an issue and how that issue appears to them when politics does not play into it.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

If it's any consolation from what I've seen you seem to be pretty rational, but that's just "me" speaking.
edit on 14-5-2017 by mericks74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Taupin Desciple

Be the change you want, friend. Start political discussions here and use none of those labels. When quoting or pasting text from outside sources, delete the political labels before you hit submit. Do it a lot, do it intelligently and keep doing it until you don't have to do it on purpose anymore. Until it becomes second nature to you.

*Don't just do it here either, but other social media accounts you may have.

If that way of talking about politics catches on and more and more people add to that way of discussing politics, then it won't really feel like a political discussion anymore, but rather a realistic discussion. Realistic in the sense that the people talking about an issue will come across as actually wanting to solve the issue being discussed, and not appearing to want to be seen as being on one side of a fence or another.

It's a great idea. People might be surprised at how differently they look at an issue and how that issue appears to them when politics does not play into it.

Good advice all..

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Sounds fascist

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Someone had made a site theme not too long ago where you couldnt even see the peoples names, and reported and reported it as being an amazing experience.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   

edit on 14-5-2017 by mericks74 because: Self censorship! !

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Why make such a thread in the mudpit?

Seems like you are antagonizing people.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Never. Those that adopt such labels deserve to be labelled by them. Those that defend such labels deserve to defend them. Those that do not wish to hear them deserve to hear them.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Should someone who defends left/right causes also be required to defend extreme views of the same cause?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

They could take it even further by blanking out words that some find offensive.
edit on 5/14/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Just curious. Why do people announce "ats" or "here on ats" stuck in the ends of posts like a mantra, or say things like it's a person. Can't this just be like..a thing and not an "ats" thing? I know it's the site name and some times easy to address folks but then "folks" is also good. Just been eating at me. Like there's an "xyy" way of doing things..

Not against capitalism but I'm just saying.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join