It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is white privilege?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Legacy could help build back humanity and give back in ways that aren't directly attached to the differences to begin with.

For instance, I pay taxes like all employees... but I pay an extra $33 a week. Why? Because I am happy to pay a large tax to access the largest economy in the world.

What is taught to legacies? Use the loop holes the system offers to maximize the gains for our family... that's what is taught. These aspects help legacy thrive and ignore the foundations of the entire citizen base.

If the rich and legacy had such good intentions, than all the major U.S. cities would have the poor living on the outskirts. But, the poor and unconnected legacy were too much of a burden... so the legacies were taught to move out to the burbs and rural areas to set up further legacy driven campaigns.

I don't think it's fair to society as a whole to run from the problems that legacy creates. It will always be a factor because family is important... but it should be met with an empathy for the human race as a whole too.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

Truthfully, from what I'm seeing, the influence of the 'Baby Boomers' has already expired past its point of relevancy, and things just keep getting ever worse. And there's a reason for that! Turn on CNBC of a day, say about 3:00 pm and take a look at Kelly Evans, 29 years old, rich and of course......white. The problem is that her background speaks to the divide between those who are truly privileged in the US and ............the rest of us. Born to a wealthy family, went to all the right schools, got a job with the Wall Street Journal, then a STAR at CNBC. The problem is simply that these people just don't go away........they keep rising to the top, floating ever upward, accumulating masses of wealth. Its birth privilege and all about Wall Street.

Some things just don't change.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

Can't say I disagree with you, but......I've circulated around and about the legacies and I can tell you they simply don't operate from "empathy"; they operate and are purely driven by ambition and the pursuit of the almighty dollar.

And there's a very, very good reason for that! They are taught from an early age that the ONLY thing between them and the gutter is MONEY, and lots of it. And they're taught that the only thing that can keep them safe from the poor people is MONEY and lots of it! They simply got no damn time for "empathy", they're in constant "flight" mode!

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

See how the legacy driven knowledge completely does not understand where other walks of life come from? The legacy must create barriers of divide within... in order to create the terms for which legacy will be passed on. Those with no ties to legacy are void of the reflections that legacy holds in value.

We live in the information age, where information is the most valuable asset. That means that legacy can't hold information in their bank accounts for endless amounts of time here. The information generation is on deck, and will not operate on such substandard policy restrictions.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

its the simple denial that there are any racial bias ever in policing, traffic stops, misdemeanor max sentences, jobs, promotions, airBnB, etc...

Just like allllll of these videos of Blacks being pulled over, claiming they dindunuffin, UNTIL the dash cam comes out.. If you break the law more, your going to get caught, more.. Max sentences? That is crap because as we all know, once a thug is killed or kills a cop, we get to see his nice mile long record, FULL of felonies.. They play catch and release. Jobs and promotions are given to them based on race alone. Everything your saying is totally backwards.

Watch a few episodes of LivePD and you will see the difference in MOST cases how each person acts when confronted by the law and there is your answer. They even explain WHY and how they do things in each stop, so that people like you can understand. But usually the show goes something like this.

White guy: Yes sir, i'm sorry sir
Black guy: Mthrfker awwwww sh! Pickin on me man!

You can pretend all you'd like that cops love to target Blacks just because. If that were true, you'd think a cop would accidentally kill a Black lawyer or doctor eventually, right? What are the odds that 99% of them are career criminals? If anyone has privilege it is Black people.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

White privilege is the stick to beat any white person with if they dare share their opinion on anything.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: iTruthSeeker

The police are set up to contain those that aren't attached to legacy. They are in place to keep a barrier between the problems that were segregated to small sections, and the legacy's that were created outside of these quarantined areas. People are just going about in the environment that they were born into as a whole. Doesn't the saying go 'hate the game, don't hate the player'?

The reason the cops don't have the same stories about ghettos as they do in wealthy neighborhoods is because the legacy of established wealth being quarantined from the impoverished and alone. You can blame people all you want as individuals, but you fail to see things from a broad perspective. You have a stance from one side of the divide. It's fine that people operate like that, but it's no different than what a drug addict in the poor sector is... a one sided ignorant view.

The ignorant view will not be alive in 20 years. When the so called middle class starts to take welfare checks because the rich further quarantine finances, these typical measures of divide you provide will be falling to the waste side.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
It is a way to blame personal failures and life's difficulties on others and not one self. We see this with White racists too. You have white people who have failed in life over and over and they want to blame it on minorities for taking their jobs, for being better then them etc. In the end it is just a bunch of low lifes who never achieved a single thing in their whole life other than screw and make more low lives like themselves...lol

Now take this attitude and apply it to a much larger percentage of a group that once again needs to find a way to blame their personal failures and life's difficulties on others and not one self. White Privilege is just that tool that they can use to explain it is not their fault that they live a crappy life.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: ttobban

The best example of white privilege in America is the legacy of the Red & Blue 2 party tyranny. They are completely disconnected to how poor people live, who are predominantly of races of minority. Instead of going back into the poor sectors where the problems and minorities were segregated to, the wealthy ran into the rural areas and suburbs. Today, 5 of the top 10 richest counties in the U.S. are in and around the D.C. area. That means, the wealthy moved their wealth to the influence on all... both wealthy and poor.

I am white, and I feel clashes between the rich & poor arising. My only focus is where people give credit to the color green. Those that choose green paper and ignore the greed and envy of it being attached to every aspect of their lives will feel pressure from all poor sectors... it just so happens to be that the influencer's are white because of the legacy aspects. I side with the poor people... it so happens to be that the bulk of the poor are minorities. The rich are giving it every effort they can to steer it to clashes of race... but the people will unite for the right reasons when TSHTF. If the rich show signs of success, I will be moving to the southern hemisphere, as my hope in Americans to think for themselves will vanish.

The topics of urban planning, Futurism, blockbusting, Rachmannism, white flight, gentrification, would all involve a discussion on their own. It was more the case that the mass-production of cars allowed whites to live in the city and commute out to the country on the weekends. Then they decided they wanted to live in the countryside and drive into work. By the time they all moved out to the countryside, which displaced farm workers. Meanwhile the displaced farm workers had to move into the city in order to find work. Property speculators saw the opportunity to convert low density apartments for families into high density units for these now unemployed farm workers. Then the wear and tear on these properties was unmaintainable so they get handed over to the cities and the ghettoes are born. That completes the cycle until the whites are living in safe outer suburbs and the ghettoes are warzones. Then the cities attempt to bring in desegregation and extending public transport to share the wealth. That only leads to more abandoned shopping malls and white flight to the X-burbs - suburbs beyond the city boundaries. There isn't going to be any way of reversing this process.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
White privilege is an excuse used by those who weren't born with white skin needing something to blame for their failure to achieve. Lazy white people blame the "system" for their shortcomings.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I agree that this is not reversible as a whole. All I can do is focus on myself, and how my actions may affect future generations as a whole... not just the future generation of my family. For as insane as many of the surroundings may seem to me, I am still thankful to live in a country that provides such diversities to even be debated.

That's the beauty of it... where decades past forced us to take our neighbors at face value and conform to traditions within has moved to the borders being opened up by means of internet. Now, I can spend my energy and efforts with like minded individuals and be met with a feeling of 'family'.

Living a happy life within all the chaos that surrounds us is possible. It takes a bit of pulling outside the legacies and practicing free will, but it's quite freeing to not have to live up to the standard of another.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0racle
a reply to: avgguy

Being taught how to spend money wisely and actually having money are both privileges. Yes.

Yes, but that information is not being forcefully withheld from anyone.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

White privilege is more circumstantial than intentional imo, but I could see some advantages to being white by comparison to some minorities in all fairness.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

How do children in poor families get information about how to spend money wisely?

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I don't believe in white privilege, however I undoubtably believe in economic privilege. Growing up I started out in a middle class family which rose to become a well off family- then fell rapidly to a very, very poor family. As and adult my life has been a roller coaster ride of being extremely poor, rising to middle class, becoming fairly well off, falling back down to being extremely poor again and now clawing my way back up the economic chain. How I have been treated by most others (especially law enforcement, etc.) has always depended on my economic status at the time. During the middle class to well off times I have been treated well and received favorable treatment in most if not all segments of society. When I've had very nice clothes to wear, a nice car and house, money for nice hair styles, etc. I have been treated far better by nearly every segment of society while during the times I've had not so new clothes, older model cars and not as nice of a house and no money for fancy haircuts and such I've been harassed by police, followed by security in stores and ignored by wait staff. My behavior has never changed- I've always been a confident and friendly person- but society as a whole treats poor people with much less respect than they do people of better economic means.

New car, nice house, new clothes- How can I help you? Nice but faded older clothes, old car, trailer park? You absolutely MUST be a criminal so lets find a reason to arrest you for daring to be out in public!

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

One cannot dismiss the historical racial discrimination aspect within society and white people's personal poverty stories don't speak for the whole of society.

I am not dismissing historical discrimination. If you read my post I am talking about MODERN society. But the whole term "white privilege" is racist in itself and I will tell you why. If I were to start throwing around the term "Black criminality" as a term to generally apply to all black people, I would be racist, because although criminality does exist among blacks, it doesn't exist among every black person. But to imply that it applies to every black person does make it racist. The same thing applies to "white privilege". Certainly there are privileged whites, but you cannot apply the assertion to every white person, not every white person has hereditary wealth for example. In your own words, the assertion of white privilege doesn't apply to every white person, and unless it does, its a racist term.
edit on 13-5-2017 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0racle

How do children in poor families get information about how to spend money wisely?

Broadcast TV and the public library for starters. Believe it or not I came from a poor family. I learned that when I had money, not to spend all of it. Where did I learn this? From spending all of it and being broke. After you do that a few times you learn to save it I think.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I get to look brown when I tan, but I still get called white.

That's white privilege.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I am not dismissing historical discrimination. If you read my post I am talking about MODERN society. But the whole term "white privilege" is racist in itself and I will tell you why. If I were to start throwing around the term "Black criminality" as a term to generally apply to all black people, I would be racist, because although criminality does exist among blacks, it doesn't exist among every black person. But to imply that it applies to every black person does make it racist. The same thing applies to "white privilege". Certainly there are privileged whites, but you cannot apply the assertion to every white person, not every white person has hereditary wealth for example. In your own words, the assertion of white privilege doesn't apply to every white person, and unless it does, its a racist term.

I think I have to agree with you there. Credit to geuxhome too and other for making me rethink.

What was I dreaming...

White civilisation has never been an egalitarian utopia where everyone had equal wealth and opportunity being white.
edit on 13-5-2017 by 0racle because: (no reason given)

Actually im still on the fence if it exists or not... education, healthcare, industry, transport, commerce etc
have far more benefitial for white society as a whole than others for nearly 200 years now...

You could make the case that these things are strong evidence of white privilege...

But that also ignores the fact that working class white people (the majority of the population) have been in as bad poverty as you can imagine, working like slaves, for the majority of those past 200 years...

And black people have had as much opportunity to climb out of poverty as the impoverished white people.

(except we know before the civil rights era, that was not really true)...

So like what were really talking about here is the slavery period up to the civil rights period where white poor people had more opportunity than black (ex-slave) poor people... and the impact of that...

im tired and still on the fence.. ill come back to this later.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

lol fair enough.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join