It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is white privilege?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox
If you wish to know the meaning of the word myth it is in the dictionary and that is the meaning in usage in my post that you replied to. Interesting usage of White Trash, does that mean that poor white people are considered to have the same status and values as average wealth black people? If so is there a Black Trash category? And what are their standards and values?

edit on 13-5-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011

What is white privilege?

It allows me to go swimming 29 minutes after I eat a sammy.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
Isn't it time to ask non-whites their take on how white privilege shows itself within our society?

That is a very interesting and clever question.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Anyone wanting a TLDR of this stupid debate:

White people built this civilisation, thats racist.

VS

Black people didn't build it. Stupid blackies crying about their poverty.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
It's two words slapped together by SJWs to try to gain an upper hand in arguments via making the opponent(s) feel shame over their genetic make-up. Which is kind of stupid, because nobody has control over what genes they end up with at conception.

It's basically SJWs trying to make you feel bad for s# completely out of your control. Nobody's god yet, we can't control your own genetics here.
edit on 5/13/2017 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

The best example of white privilege in America is the legacy of the Red & Blue 2 party tyranny. They are completely disconnected to how poor people live, who are predominantly of races of minority. Instead of going back into the poor sectors where the problems and minorities were segregated to, the wealthy ran into the rural areas and suburbs. Today, 5 of the top 10 richest counties in the U.S. are in and around the D.C. area. That means, the wealthy moved their wealth to the influence on all... both wealthy and poor.

I am white, and I feel clashes between the rich & poor arising. My only focus is where people give credit to the color green. Those that choose green paper and ignore the greed and envy of it being attached to every aspect of their lives will feel pressure from all poor sectors... it just so happens to be that the influencer's are white because of the legacy aspects. I side with the poor people... it so happens to be that the bulk of the poor are minorities. The rich are giving it every effort they can to steer it to clashes of race... but the people will unite for the right reasons when TSHTF. If the rich show signs of success, I will be moving to the southern hemisphere, as my hope in Americans to think for themselves will vanish.
edit on 13-5-2017 by ttobban because: spelling

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight
Isn't it time to ask non-whites their take on how white privilege shows itself within our society?

That would help.

It would also help if white people reflected on it for themselves. Maybe were too privileged to think.

Perhaps... having too little time to reflect is also a privilege.

When you're poor and unemployed you have a lot of time to think about things. Thinking doesn't always make you right, but can give you a lot of deep insights, you would otherwise not have time to comprehend... The fact people are sitting on an internet forum, discussing something, without actually thinking is inexcusable.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
There are a few on this site that will challenge you on this but not many. We have essentially red pilled the majority to the fact white male privilege is a myth much like the wage gap. I'm actually kind of proud of these culture war solders who fight for the side of reason, freedom, and respect. We have almost won this war. I will however stick around here to see if anyone takes you up on this.
All the while drinking my raw white whole milk eating white skittles listening to white snake on my white I-pod...

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

White privilege, like chicken teeth and rocking horse sh!t, doesn't actually exist in reality - it exists in the minds of those folks so butthurt because they lost the fight / race / war / cooking competition / other and have decided to vent their frustration towards the big bad whitey.

A hetrosexual single white male has the most privilege - apparently.

Considering that before the last 50 years, only white males inherited ANYTHING from their fore fathers labor..

No black person was handed down properly, or a business, or a trust fund..

While white male wealth has been in the same old money families for centuries some times..

Obviously the ramifications of that do not just go away in a generation or two..

How many black people will inherit money today?? 5% maybe.. while I bet that number is closer to 40% for whites.. maybe higher..

In a world where cash is king.. that is all that really matters..

^

This is white privilege.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: 0racle
^
1st World Problems.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

Come at me bro... 6 out of 29 ( over 20%) replies in this thread are mine, don't act like im invisible.

Fight me.

I'll rip you apart.
edit on 13-5-2017 by 0racle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Minorities have to give me their spot in line.

I legit just spit up coffee... hahahahaha

Thank you for the early morning laugh... star for you

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011

After reading several posts on the subject, I realized that there is always this assertion of white privilege, but no real concrete examples to back it up, the examples that are given are unusually anecdotes of discrimination, which really falls under bigotry and not implication of some sort of privilege for white people. So here is your chance, please give examples of what you consider to be white privilege in modern society. I should concede that I do not believe it exists; the vast majority of white people in 2017 are struggling to survive just like any other group or race of people. But I would like to understand the perspective that I am somehow privileged; that I get some kind of perks because of my skin color. Again, do not confuse being the victim of bigotry with the implication of white privilege. There is bigotry against white people as well, so they certainly do not have privileged status in that case. Please enlighten us with your definition of white privilege.

When we have all 9 Supremes being women then there will no thing as white privilege:

The 81-year-old Supreme Court justice, who has attained somewhat of a cult following for her stance on gender equality, told a gathering of law students Wednesday that people often ask her when she thinks there will be enough women on the court.

“And my answer is when there are nine,” she said, as if the question even needed to be asked.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

When 500 of the CEOs of the fortune 500 are women then we no longer have white privilege. Right now there are NONE.

When the next 44 presidents are women then we see the end to white privilege. Of course Obama, 1 out of 45, is a good start.

Equality means equality. It doesn't come from words. I hope 3 examples are enough to agree something exists.

edit on 13-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

Yeah, & not having any of those problems because you are white = white privilege.
edit on 13-5-2017 by 0racle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Not to mention, that before the Fair Housing Act of 1968, the reality that minorities were forced to live in segregated areas. That was a choice by white privilege... the minorities would have much preferred to expand, but white privilege had none of that.

So, deal with it white legacies... your ancestors ran from the differences among people in the past based on the reality that they weren't white and privileged like they were themselves. At some point in time, one of these generations are going to have to answer to the lopsided affects of past decisions.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Heh.

Classes just ended.

and now ye got ye soapbox.

Tell us how you know and everyone else is wrong, thank god, you alone, the beacon of truth has arrived.
edit on 13-5-2017 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Here's a good example of white privilege:

"He would have to invent teeth!"

edit on 13-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ttobban

Well I am white.

I dont feel privileged, but I recognize what my situation really IS beyond what my emotions are telling me.

The idea that we will have to answer for it in some way though...

like how? Government investment in formerly oppressed communities?

Guess that could work.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

They still won't see it though.

"See the black man has to fly, to get something the white man has to walk to"

And that quote truly sums up 'white privilege'/

You still won't see it though.
edit on 13-5-2017 by FelisOrion because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Race is neither privilege nor burden. These labels being attached to identity are petty and part of an agenda of division among commoners. The commoners of countries all around the world hold true power in sheer numbers, some would snip themselves literally; were the commoners ever to actualize unity against a common enemy. Money might start wars but it never has the power to end them, only bloodshed can accomplish that. The money changers play chess, they want the commoner to think it's cleavage. Move along now and continue to squabble while your rights(Queen) and opportunities(King) are stealthily removed from the chess board.
edit on 13-5-2017 by BloodStainedGlass because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join