It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Sessions Just Fired The First Shot In Trump's War On Drugs.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: namelesss

I think it would be great if liberals, in an effort to thwart Trump, started a legalization drive. I think enough republicans would joine in. Problem solved.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: notsure1

I voted for Trump.

I am also for legalization.

(Now that we have that out of the way)

Cities like Chicago, Baltimore, etc are rife with crime, increased homicides.

One of Trumps campaign promises was to do something about it.

Since drugs are the cornerstone of much of gang/criminal activity, it would be a necessary focus.

I think we should just reclassify marijuana out of schedule 1. Getting high is much less harmful than alcohol, we could easily classify it the same, and then we take the power out of the drug dealers hands. The real issue I think is the other drugs.

What do we do about things like Heroin, Meth, and Cocaine? That's something that I truly don't know the answer to. I do know that trying to stamp it out with a heavy hand hasn't worked, but drugs like Heroin are so addicting, and so bad for you, that I'm not sure if the light touch of lower punishments, easier access to drugs, and free treatment are the answer either... because in a way that removes an incentive to not use them.

My turn around on this was pretty recent actually seeing some written first hand accounts of people as they developed heroin addictions. On the other hand, I have to admit that the Dutch system has reduced the amount of addicts so there's merit in looking at it.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
We all have a vice. What would you do if they made yours illegal?

I don't have any vices.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

What do you expect from a 70 year old man??

He's f#ed up everything else he's thought he was going to do so why not the war on some drugs?

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Definitely one of the things I disagree with him on. He's still the better choice.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Hey you can take my high grade THC concentrates when you ban Booze.

OTHERWISE GFYS

Because you honestly do not care about the well being of others, or booze and cigs would be outlawed,again everyone supporting this GFYS.

It's not a war on drugs.

It's a war on me and you.
edit on 13-5-2017 by Lysergic because: again gfys

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1
a reply to: DBCowboy

It has been focused on for 50 years. When does it end?

Its only a crime because its illegal.

The problem I see here is that if it is legalized, they look for and find other things that are illegal. Crime is where the dough is made.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   

If you put an end to the drug prohibition, it becomes an economic cornerstone, and useless to the criminals. How many modern criminal organizations do you know of who still traffic alcohol as a source of income?

Trump has no interest in doing anything the right way.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

If you put an end to the drug prohibition, it becomes an economic cornerstone, and useless to the criminals. How many modern criminal organizations do you know of who still traffic alcohol as a source of income?

True.

But Trump can't just legalize drugs.

Congress would have to and neither dems nor republicans will do it.

So we're stuck with rampant crime in the inner cities.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   
How are people making a correlation between Sessions going after drug trafficking to going after established legitimate tax paying businesses?

They are targeting the criminal element that likes to leech of this industry and take advantage of individuals.

I have yet to hear Sessions or Trump say they would go after states that have a legitimate cannabis industry. Only the people taking advantage of the industry or the laws.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

True.

But Trump can't just legalize drugs.

Congress would have to and neither dems nor republicans will do it.

So we're stuck with rampant crime in the inner cities.

Trump represents all of his followers. He has more power to influence the public than anyone else. He could publically push the issue and make congress look like the bad guys for not changing things.

Or of course, he could just sign another executive order and keep his dog, Jeff Sessions on a short leash...But again, Trump is not the least bit interested. He's useless.
edit on 13-5-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: tadded possibility

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   
If anybody actually wants to read straight from the horses mouth:
Here is the actual memo from Sessions.

Here is the US code that is mentioned in Sessions memo.

At the bottom of Sessions memo he references two previous memos that his memo will be rescinding due to "inconsistent previous policy of the Department of Justice relating to these matters".

Here is the first memo referenced.
Here is the second.

US code title 21 is mentioned in both of the rescinded memos.

Here is the section of US code 21 that is mentioned.

At first read it seems to me that all that is happening is the prosecutors are now free to reinstate/use mandatory minimum sentencing for low level 'repeat' offenders, and that if they don't follow the guidelines for enforcing mandatory minimum sentencing they have to present justification for not doing so.

This memo also appears to effect 'only' Federal prosecutors, not State or local prosecutors.
edit on 13-5-2017 by LockNLoad because: typo

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Cool! Not..........

I just got my handlers permit............and I have a job interview at one of the shops today..........

Yaaaaay for good news!

sarc

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf
a reply to: SBMcG

So, effectively...

growing, illegal.
selling, illegal.
Using, A-Ok.

Umm, how does one go about the last part? if you can't grow it for personal use, and you can't find someone to buy from.

Effectively, a trifecta of illegal. By omission.

And who cares by the way, if it's medicinal or recreational? Go jump out of a perfectly safe plane with a parachute, hell, pay someone heaps of money to do it. It's not the busted chute that kills you, it's the stop when you hit the ground.

this world is backasswards.

Stoners have numerous legal options these days. I live in Washington where marijuana use of any kind is legal as long as you're 21 and consuming your weed in an appropriate manner. I am not a user myself, but as a constitutional conservative, I recognized the wisdom of legalization in my state, as well as my state's right under the 10th Amendment to do so.

I voted accordingly. So far, i have been very happy with that vote. I have two close friends who are LEO's and they feel like a great burden has been removed from them.

Anyway, if pot is your thing, there are several states out there where at the very least it's been decriminalized. As for growing your own -- I know that here you can grow and hold a butt-load.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
This is going to make things very, very interesting.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: LockNLoad

Good to see someone finally offering actual facts and direct sourcing on the matter. Instead of getting ourselves worked up over sensationalized third parties, we should simply be analyzing the actual content and what it stipulates.

Thank you for that.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Good or bad, we do ourselves a disservice if we don't try to get to the truth of a matter.

I have found that 'all' corporate media is slanted one way or the other, and I always try to find source documentation... sometimes I can, sometimes a can't, but I have to try to remain honest to myself.

LOL just reading this back to myself and it really sound pretentious LOL
edit on 13-5-2017 by LockNLoad because: typo

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join