It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Dinosaur Mummy’ Emerges From the Oil Sands of Alberta

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Seems like the oil sands could be a rich source of these kinds of finds. It is a for real dino-almost like it was when it wandered around.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I also wonder how many of these fossils get ground up and "used"?

A few years back they were saying no soft tissue could be preserved. Now they have found a dino brain. I bet a lot of petrified dinosaurs were destroyed because they only considered the bones. Now they see the feathers of some and see that the flesh of some of the mummified dinosaurs is there. They saw feathers and a skin layer. The meat is not real meat though, it has been permineralized into a soft rock. minerals go in and replace the chemicals of the meat so all there is is sort of a soft rock where the flesh was.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:19 AM
link   
And boy was she pissed...

Seriously, this is amazing. Such preservation.

Thoughts of dino DNA and an amusement park.

It does look like a dragon.
There's a theory that tales of dragons were inspired by the finding of dino bones by earlier folks.
That certainly sounds likely.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

My mother could do that to a steak.
One of the reasons I learned how to cook.

Even without "meat" there's a ton of info to be learned from such well preserved remains.
It's better that a palio photograph !

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

originally posted by: Discotech
a reply to: seasonal

Ok we all know youtube has certain "weird" areas

But there's actually an Akylosaurus song, seriously wtf....

(yes I know it's a nodosaur in the OP but it's part of the Anklyosaur family)

I liked watching that

I think it just gave me a stroke

why would you call a ball tail whip suicide spike monster after your ankle?

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
I'm glad it was only an internet rip-off. I was afraid you had been literally burned, like by fire, or something!

conflagrating on the internets??

I see no meme, it is a hoax.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 03:57 AM
link   

She be beautiful! There would have been a bunch of bugs following them around. Microbes and parsite bugs in behind the armour plates. Predators nearby. I close my eyes and imagine buzzing flies and snorting nodosaurs breathing. Skeeters in their millions and whoops and hollers in the trees and forests. Stinkyass smells with piles of dung all over the damn place.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I wonder if they'll ever allow someone independent to Radiocarbon date the soft tissue - my guess the Radiocarbon dating would say the dino is thousands of years old and not millions as science claims - but the establishment would never allow that knowledge to get out into the general public.

-MM
edit on 13-5-2017 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: MerkabaMeditation

Any particular reason why you believe this?

The fossil was found in a geological location that would confirm a 110 million year old date, and potassium-argon dating of the rocks that needed to be chipped away from the fossil would further confirm that date.

if the fossil wasn't found In a location that would depict an accurate date that this Dino lived, then they should do a radiocarbon dating test, if it was in a geological era under 60k years.

But it wasnt, so the test would be irrelevant and an unnecessary use of resources.

But I'm sure if you started up a fund you could see if they would do the test for you

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   

This is a rare and fabulous find - a dinosaur mummy. An interesting tid bit ...

The western Canada that this dinosaur knew was a very different world from the brutally cold, windswept plains I encountered this past autumn. In the nodosaur’s time, the area resembled today’s South Florida, with warm, humid breezes wafting through conifer forests and fern-filled meadows. It’s even possible that the nodosaur gazed out on an ocean. In the early Cretaceous, rising waters carved an inland seaway that blanketed much of what’s now Alberta, its western shore lapping against eastern British Columbia, where the nodosaur may have lived. Today those ancient seabeds lie buried under forests and rolling fields of wheat. One unlucky day this landlubbing animal ended up dead in a river, possibly swept in by a flood. The belly-up carcass wended its way downriver—kept afloat by gases that bacteria belched into its body cavity—and eventually washed out into the seaway, scientists surmise. Winds blew the carcass eastward, and after a week or so afloat, the bloated carcass burst. The body sank back-first onto the ocean floor, kicking up soupy mud that engulfed it. Minerals infiltrated the skin and armor and cradled its back, ensuring that the dead nodosaur would keep its true-to-life form as eons’ worth of rock piled atop it.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: SilverOwls
Cool, I will have to look at this later. Thanks for the post.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Nat Geo did a spread, I don't know if they had a center fold though.

www.nationalgeographic.com...
I do not know if they did, but they should have, bio. And all. This is flipping amazing.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
I'm glad it was only an internet rip-off. I was afraid you had been literally burned, like by fire, or something!

I don't know how I managed to get that post on the wrong thread, but I did. It was actually meant to be in Randy's thread about being 'burned" with an internet purchase.

The dinosaur is awesome!

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

Any particular reason why you believe this?

There are plenty of evidence that humans lived alongside the dinosaurs in recent history.

originally posted by: Ghost147
The fossil was found in a geological location that would confirm a 110 million year old date, and potassium-argon dating of the rocks that needed to be chipped away from the fossil would further confirm that date.

LOL, geology ... I don't consider that a real science. They have it all wrong, there are just so many instances where Radiocarbon dating and Radiometric dating of geologic layers don't match up - but both claim to be "science" and backed by so-called "scientific proof" - anecdotal at best imo.

-MM

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

There is literally no evidence that humans and dinosaurs lives together in any history, let alone recent history.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

There is literally no evidence that humans and dinosaurs lives together in any history, let alone recent history.

There are literally loads of evidence. Here is a video with just five.

-MM

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Thankfully, the success of the field of geology doesn't hinge on whether or not cranks choose to accept it as science.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped

Thankfully, the success of the field of geology doesn't hinge on whether or not cranks choose to accept it as science.

That video is 5:30 minutes long and your replied just 3 minutes after I posted it, I hardly doubt you even looked at it before calling the video creators "cranks"
... If you had looked then you would have seen that he lists scientific research that contradicts the millions of years old fossils theory.

-MM

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   
This may be your coolest post ever, so freaking cool
never seen anything that really show's you how it really looked in real life.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Wow. This is a flat-earther level of willful ignorance on display here.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join