It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood fearing worst box office summer in a decade

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Deadpool, in my opinion, was one of the greatest comic book movies ever made. Why? Because it was total anarchy and amazing fun. It was not just the formulaic, moralistic journey that we are all used to. It was a story of a morally defunct, mentally unbalanced, fun loving scumbag, going through hell, coming out the other side a near immortal killing machine, and systematically appalling everyone he met along the way. I laughed SO hard at the gags in that film, and I KEEP laughing at them every time I see it, which is the mark of a quality writing staff. I could not have enjoyed that movie more than I did, and I am very much looking forward to the second installment.

That is not to say that I have not enjoyed the other comic book movies that have come out, or at least, the ones I have seen. I have, very much. I grew up reading the titles involved, the characters who appear in those movies, and enjoy the on screen adaptations a great deal. But there is something about Deadpool which the other films lack, in my opinion. I think that the most important thing about the Deadpool movie, is that the actor and the whole crew, had precisely the same, correct vision of what Deadpool is about as a character, and therefore how the movie ought to come across.

This is a stark contrast to movies like X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which was one of the most disappointing movies I have ever seen. The rating was too low, totally removing any hope of the movie being as brutal as it ought to have been, given the skill set of the protagonist. The writing was terrible, paid no attention to or respect to previously established cannon, AND the creators of the film managed to completely ruin several characters, concepts, and timelines, all of which had AMAZING pre-existing material to their names, which ought to have inspired a damned sight more creativity and quality in the film than they did.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

It doesnt matter weather there are thousands of them are not. Mine is going to be better than most and have better explosions and but kicking Chuck is retired Buruce still kicks ass.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

However, the latest box-office predictions state the first weekend of May through to early September takings will be down five to 10 percent on last year.

According to the Los Angeles Times, that’s a total loss of $450 million as the overall Summer gross in the US is expected to fall from $4.45 billion to $4 billion, the worst in a decade.

While seemingly a relatively small percentage, for the entire cinema industry it could be quite disastrous. The publication states how many executives are worried there are just too many sequels and franchises overflowing the market.

“Some of the tent poles are just not as strong this year,” 20th Century Fox head of domestic distribution Chris Aronson says. “Pirates of the Caribbean? It's the fifth one. Transformers? It’s the fifth one.”

www.independent.co.uk...

So Hollyweird, you finally admit that you failed on making new good original quality movies?

What happened Hollyweird to those days when you made such awesome movies such as Star Trek, Ben Hur, Dirty Harry, Star Wars, Lawrence of Arabia, Princess Bride, Footloose (Not the remake) Tremors, Diehard, Fifth Element?

Now all you do is make remakes, sequels, and many of your movies nowadays are unoriginal.

Also, you make garbage TV Shows such as this for example:

In addition, you make controversial statements about politics in places where it shouldn't belong (Oscars).

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Big Eastwood fan here. Dirty Harry was epic. Both in it's character development and it's social commentary. Did you know that Frank Sinatra was originally cast to play Dirty Harry? Well do you, punk?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: FuggleHop

Cool, if Bururuce is kicking ass, i'll let you off

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:06 AM
link   
What goes around , comes around.

If you paid the creative consultant , instead of his wife's family ,
and didn't share those funds with a cigar toting dinosaur clown,

you're future might look a little brighter ?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: radarloveguy
What goes around , comes around.

If you paid the creative consultant , instead of his wife's family ,
and didn't share those funds with a cigar toting dinosaur clown,

you're future might look a little brighter ?

Between the Lines....

You should write a script. You can write!!! "Pirates of Reality"

That's fantastic stuff, amigo.

www.celtx.com...
edit on 14-5-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

Oh I undertstand your mocking me because of my typing mistakes. You wouldnt do that if you understoof I dont have the use of my fingers. In person people can see that my hands are wrecked. But on the internet they cant see it so they assume Im just uneducated.

Im glad you lkike Bruce willis.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Hollywood has not only run out of ideas but has been putting out nothing but violent, disgusting nonsense for a long time.

Eventually it has to catch up with them.

The same old stories with the same old themes, primarily Rambo type or superhero violence repeatedly, just recycled trash or horror movies.

Once and a while a decent movie might come out but they never make any money.

Its all superhero foolishness and violent Rambo kill-em-up stuff

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I have a request...

More westerns!! With bad badguys, and good goodguys who gets the pretty girl and rides off into the sunset as the endtitles run. Yeah, it's a tad bit formulaic, but it works.

I love westerns!!

Or a good musical? With singing and dancing, y'know, a musical. Boy meets girl, they fall in love, they sing and dance, she does everything he does only backwards and in heels...

Do that, and I'll be a happy seagull.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Jericho was such a great show. So much potential was left to go to waste.

Ironically, the story was finished with two graphic novels

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I just saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 a couple days ago.

Not as good as 1 at all. The music sucked compared to 1 and not as funny.

Baby Groot, oy!

Every time they have a kid in a movie, it's over.

W.C Fields said not to work with kids or dogs. lol.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
What do you expect? Filmmakers have made movies based on every idea imaginable. They've run out of ideas and have to rely on sequels, remakes and comic books.

You can find better content on Youtube than you can in the theaters.

Not true. There is huge untapped potential in many historical eras/regions, for example, that's completely untouched by Hollyweird. We don't need a new movie about Rome and Vikings every few years, for f*cks sake. Why not try making a movie about Scythians or the Hellenistic monarchies? Oops, that's right, your average undereducated moron doesn't know who those people were.

The problem isn't that they "ran out of ideas." The problem is that the general public is too stupid to appreciate real novelty, art, and creativity, and so they're continually spoon-fed rehashed garbage because filmmakers know they'll keep eating it up. Also, the problem is second-grade, complacent, lazy filmmakers who would rather re-skin some dried up sh*tty franchise than come up with something oringinal.

You're completely wrong. In art there is never a shortage of ideas and possibilities, only shortages of intelligence and inspiration.

If anything we can safely blame the reduced brain function of modern Americans.
edit on 14-5-2017 by Talorc because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

I have a request...

More westerns!! With bad badguys, and good goodguys who gets the pretty girl and rides off into the sunset as the endtitles run. Yeah, it's a tad bit formulaic, but it works.

I love westerns!!

Or a good musical? With singing and dancing, y'know, a musical. Boy meets girl, they fall in love, they sing and dance, she does everything he does only backwards and in heels...

Do that, and I'll be a happy seagull.

I'm trying....I love Westerns too.

I just was director of photography on this trailer. We are looking for and executive producer to make the feature. Know any!

DP on this one And
still chasing money to finish it....

Worked on this one as an actor and set security and set dec... Sold to netflix recently.

teaser-trailer.com...

We're very busy here in the "Land of Enchantment" We'd rather make movies than whine about the state of the industry.

You can too if you want to take the effort in writing the story and go thru the process of getting the cast and crew together to actually make something.

Or is it just more fun to sit on your ass and be a critic and pile your BS hatred on the people and industry that you know nothing about?

This wasn't directed at you Seagull, but at the hateful negative atmosphere that has become to exemplify ATS. Like this Thread.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   

With bad badguys, and good goodguys who gets the pretty girl and rides off into the sunset as the endtitles run. Yeah, it's a tad bit formulaic, but it works.

I certainly understand that perspective, but I prefer the Chinese Wuxia formula, where more often than not the good guy dies, or the woman he loves is killed. They are much more complex than the classic "good guy wins, bad guy loses" formula. Perhaps that is just my personality, and it may not fare well at the box office, but to me it is much more intriguing when you don't know that the good guy always wins.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Whoa, there, pardner.

The industry itself I have no issues with, certainly any complaints I might have do not rise to the level of BS hatred...or even mild dislike...I just wish they'd make more movies that I like. They'd certainly get more of my money if they did.

Certain individuals? Such as actors who seem to think they're somehow more knowledgeable than I on certain issues, then yes, I have an issues.

But the industry? No. I'm an avid movie watcher. My only complaint, if complaint it is, is they keep screwin' up remakes...such as the lamentable Ghostbusters remake. So I didn't spend my money on it. Very simple solution to that problem.

As for investing? That's one of my bucket list things...I'd love to see my name up in lights as an executive producer or some such. But, alas, that seems unlikely unless I hit the mega-bucks, or something similar.

If I've angered you, and it seems I have, that was certainly not my intent, and I tender an apology to you.

ETA: The Midnight Shanghai trailer certainly looks interesting. Incidentally, how does one go about investing in a movie production, anyway??

edit on 5/14/2017 by seagull because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

If I've angered you, and it seems I have, that was certainly not my intent, and I tender an apology to you. ETA: The Midnight Shanghai trailer certainly looks interesting. Incidentally, how does one go about investing in a movie production, anyway??

I didn't really mean to single you out, but the current ATS atmosphere of negativity that's become so prevalent on ATS not just from the members but the mods as well. I try and encourage people to get involved in any project and get met with snark and mean spirited comments. Perhaps it's just the mood of the nation idk. I call it "the mudpit nation"

To become a producer...find a project on indy gogo or kickstarter for indy films, there are many of them. For big budget features contact the production house Upm and they will give you that information.

Or you could go to a pitch fest and talk to the filmmakers about their project.

scriptfest.com...

fadeinonline.com...

dianedrake.com...

Besides being sound man I was ex producer on this one....

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Not a problem.

What kind of return could I expect on an indy film? Does it depend upon box office, or DVD sales, both?

I've no knowledge of this at all...as you can no doubt tell. But it seems like something that might actually be fun, as well as profitable...

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Not a problem.

What kind of return could I expect on an indy film? Does it depend upon box office, or DVD sales, both?

I've no knowledge of this at all...as you can no doubt tell. But it seems like something that might actually be fun, as well as profitable...

I have exproduced or co produded perhaps 10 indys. But I usually work on them as an actor, grip, soundman, camera or production assistant. I usually break even on distribution and make a few bucks as crew.

One thing a lot of producers do on our shows is get themselves, their wife or daughter a part in the film. It's one of the perks very common and expected.

Realistically the film biz is a lot like poker. Even great movies can tank for no apparent reason. I think the best odds for being successful in this game is to invest in TV pilots. Not very expensive to make the first one and if it gets picked up $$$$$$. These are usually what I crew on...worked on one today. Great fun.

My greatest success was a documentary I produced and directed, on women in Law Enforcement. Made it to cable here and in Europe.

Join us!!!

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I don't think such fears will prove to be very well grounded.

What should you charge a pirate for an ear piercing?

A buck an ear!

edit on Rpm51417v22201700000017 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join