It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neuroscientists Discover a Song That Reduces Anxiety By 65 Percent

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Researchers at Mindlab International in the U.K. wanted to know what kind of music induces the greatest state of relaxation. The study involved having participants try to solve difficult puzzles — which inherently triggered a certain degree of stress — while connected to sensors. At the same time, participants listened to a range of songs as researchers measured their brain activity, heart rate, blood pressure and rate of breathing. What they found is that one song — “Weightless” — resulted in a striking 65 percent reduction in participants’ overall anxiety, and a 35 percent reduction in their usual physiological resting rates.

Thinking Humanity

With the amount of stress going on here on ATS maybe we all need to give this a listen. I certainly enjoy ambient music so I enjoy the composition. What do other members of ATS say do you see any reduction in stress after giving a listen?

Short Version.

Long Version.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

I bet it's not in the genre of heavy metal?

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Nope ambient is about as far away as you can get from metal.

+2 more 
posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
And so it was, whenever the spirit from God was upon Saul, that David would take a harp and play it with his hand. Then Saul would become refreshed and well, and the distressing spirit would depart from him.
I Sam 16:23

And Elisha said, “As the LORD of hosts lives, before whom I stand, surely were it not that I regard the presence of Jehoshaphat king of Judah, I would not look at you, nor see you.
“But now bring me a musician.” Then it happened, when the musician played, that the hand of the LORD came upon him.

2 Kings 3:14,15.

music calms the aggravated.

glad to see modern science catching up to the Bible

edit on 12-5-2017 by ElGoobero because: add helpful info

edit on 12-5-2017 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
IDK if its the power of suggestion or if it's really the song but I'll be.......

Usually my resting anxiety is so that I can't really breathe comfortably because I feel all my muscles are so tight and tensed 24/7- its like i'm walking about all day with my fists and muscles clenched.

I just sat here so loose and calm and I could actually breathe without heaving.

May the universe bless you for sharing this. Or if you prefer, whatever higher power you believe in.

-Alee

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I'd imagine that this would be highly relative to the person listening.

The article also only seems to mention female participants and how they reacted, but I have yet to find them mention how this affects males.

The reason I say this is, I meditate with music, I use counter-intuitive music selections too, from dubstep, to metal, to hiphop and it relaxes me and centers me much more than any ambient music has ever done. I actually started out making ambient music and have gradually moved into trance than more drum and bass to dubstep and jungle.

Something about the mathematical patterns when done right in many genres that has the relaxing feeling.

So because of what I've mentioned above, I think it's more about the math and patterns involved in music that calms us rather than the type of music in general.

I've seen and experienced myself, falling asleep to metal music, dubstep and even jungle, just because of how beautiful and awesome the various pieces come together.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

It will be a nice thing if ATS will play this as a background music.

Do you have to watch the video too? or just listen to the music.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Very cool. I haven't given the entire song a try, but I did read the article linked...interesting take on the rise of anxiety in the Gen-Y cohort. I'm a child of the 80's and always 'identified' as a Gen-Xer, but the description of the uptick in Gen-Y anxiety fits a lot of my experiences as a kid -- I wonder if this uptick is also a pattern found in the Gen-X cohort.

Again, very cool and thought-provoking

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Tranceopticalinclined

Yeah I wanted a bit more information then the article offered. I myself felt relaxed listening to it but I have also felt relaxed listening to other pieces of ambient music. I also like music like this anyway so I might be biased in that sense.
I would definitely like to see more information on the study and see how many more people they tested and what their pool of music selection was.

Apparently the artists who created this composition created it with the intention of being relaxing.

here are two more links I found on this song.
TELEGRAPH

GOOD HOUSE KEEPING

edit on 12-5-2017 by SolAquarius because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

That's really good!

There's a channel on Lufthansa Trans-Atlantic flight that plays that sort of music. Loved it!

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Is this why some cults ban music? You can't be a mind-controlled tool of the disruptors if you're chilled out by harmonic resonances.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Slightly less than 1 Hz - 60 bpm rhythm and rhythm-independent melody.
That is the recipe if I'm reading it correctly. However other tracks could be even better but won't be tested.

Also, different people (animals) respond differently. In a car - I have found that higher bpm (158 to 215) can slow me down and relax me while something much slower makes me anxious/nervous. Even reggae or dub. Rock makes me agressive, mad driver btw.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ

Do not allow your mood to affect your driving. Easier said than done, it takes effort. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Yea a lot of metal and techno songs were proven to be great for stimulation and working out. Metal probably slightly increases heart rate and blood pressure. The above reduces blood pressure and heart rate.The BPM has a lot to do with it to.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: SolAquarius

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Nope ambient is about as far away as you can get from metal.

No, but there's a connection between ambient and prog, and prog and metal. The dots can be connected. Ozric Tentacles for instance, kinda blurs it...neither/nor but sort of ambient/prog/metalish...all in the same song!

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Saw Ozrics many years ago. Pretty pounding band when playing live.

As for relaxing... Just started Pete Namlook and Richie Hawtin "From Within".

Feeling better already.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Well clearly something wrong with me. These sounds cause me to tense up and I can't continue to listen it actually causes discomfort!

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This reminds me of the music put out by the Monroe Institute called hemi-sync. They are meditation focused and created using brain-wave frequency undertones which claim to synchronize the brain. I bought a few many years ago and they did work great for meditation.

An interesting side note that many on ATS will recognize. The Monroe Institute was founded by Robert Monroe, a key person in the world of out-of-body experiences and a member of the CIA's Stargate remote viewing program.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Posting so I can come back later.

Pretty cool.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Delta Waves for Sleep!

Try and make it the full 44 min

s

new topics

top topics