It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ransomware infections reported worldwide

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Lots of ransomware tools are shared / sold in the underground web. Also there are many cyber investigators which exposes the code behind such a virus so strong defences can be built.

One of the first things such a virus does is check if the user is browsing from Internet Explorer, and there is a reason for that.

When Macromedia Flash started to die because of Apple not allowing it to run on IOs devices, Microsoft wanted so badly to to be the new tool to build interactive content for the web, crating SilverLIght.

I know this because once I was using a memory driven database library called LexDB which was able to make data persistent through a browser. Since LexDB is open source I was interested in see how this can be done. Looking through the code it was evident the library was using C Sharp's File System Object allowed by Microsoft.

The ransomware tools when purchased also includes an admin panel from which the attacker can apart from following the spreading of the virus, the affected systems, location..he can even interact with the victims via chat provided in the admin panel.

An example u such a tool can be found here :

Karmen Ransomware Variant

I think one of the most common ways such virus spread is through fake articles on celebrities/way to make money/etc.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

A massive cyber-attack using tools believed to have been developed by the US National Security Agency has struck organisations around the world. Computers in thousands of locations have been locked by a programme that demands $300 (£230) in Bitcoin. In April hackers known as The Shadow Brokers claimed to have stolen the tools and released them online. Microsoft released a patch for the vulnerability in March, but many systems may not have been updated. How big is the attack? There have been reports of infections in 99 countries, including the UK, US, China, Russia, Spain, Italy and Taiwan. Cyber-security firm Avast said it had seen 75,000 cases of the ransomware - known as WannaCry and variants of that name - around the world. "This is huge," said Jakub Kroustek at Avast.

OP article evolving ..

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Microsoft built in the hole for the vulnerability , and then goes to patch it .

Microsoft released a patch for the vulnerability in March, but many systems may not have been updated.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
i still don't know why they want to blame the NSA when such tools are so easily obtained from the underground..of course for a price..there are thousands of variants

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Some experts say the attack may be have been built to exploit a weakness in Microsoft systems that was identified by the NSA and given the name EternalBlue. The NSA tools were then stolen by a group of hackers known as The Shadow Brokers, who then attempted to sell the encrypted cache in an online auction. However they subsequently made the tools freely available, releasing a password for the encryption on 8 April.

The hackers said they had published the password as a "protest" about US President Donald Trump. At the time, some cyber-security experts said some of the malware was real, but old. A patch for the vulnerability was released by Microsoft in March, but many systems may not have had the update installed. Microsoft said on Friday its engineers had added detection and protection against WnaCryt. The company was providing assistance to customers, it added. How does the malware work? Some security researchers have pointed out that the infections seem to be deployed via a worm - a program that spreads by itself between computers. Unlike many other malicious programs, this one has the ability to move around a network by itself. Most others rely on humans to spread by tricking them into clicking on an attachment harbouring the attack code. By contrast, once WanCry is inside an organisation it will hunt down vulnerable machines and infect them too. This perhaps explains why its impact is so public - because large numbers of machines at each victim organisation are being compromised.

editthat

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: heineken
i still don't know why they want to blame the NSA when such tools are so easily obtained from the underground..of course for a price..there are thousands of variants

Not only that, they are presenting this as if the ransomware was created by the NSA, not the exploit used to spread it.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

So the nsa got microsoft to build in a hole which allows remote access and control , which was put in all chips for all computers made from 2010 in secret , and now the nsa has been hacked and stolen from , allowing remote access through the hole they put there together , to presumably anyone with hacking knowledge because the tools were available (dumped) on line , in a an apparent protest about trump by a group called the shadow brokers .

lol out loud ! its a proper story already , its nothing to do with me , except my good old dad is hospital right now , that's no so amusable
And..... where's the Americans ? Isn't this thread veeery quiet ?

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

exactly so....fake news spreading at its best

I'm so tired of this anti-america campaign everywhere...and i'm not from the us

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZIPMATT

So the nsa got microsoft to build in a hole which allows remote access and control , which was put in all chips for all computers made from 2010 in secret , and now the nsa has been hacked and stolen from , allowing remote access through the hole they put there together , to presumably anyone with hacking knowledge because the tools were available (dumped) on line , in a an apparent protest about trump by a group called the shadow brokers .

lol out loud ! its a proper story already , its nothing to do with me , except my good old dad is hospital right now , that's no so amusable
And..... where's the Americans ? Isn't this thread veeery quiet ?

microsoft dont build chips, intel though does

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

My guess is it's someone who got a hold of the NSA package that was dropped a few months ago and is now taking some of it out for a spin.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Jakub Kroustek of the security firm Avast said in a blog post update around 2000 GMT, "We are now seeing more than 75,000 detections... in 99 countries."

Kaspersky researcher Costin Raiu cited 45,000 attacks in 74 countries, saying that the malware, a self-replicating "worm," was spreading quickly.

phys.org -Fast-moving cyberattacks wreak havoc worldwide (Update 3)

A self-replicating worm exploiting a known windows flaw that has already been patched! I know it is a PITA but you need keep your computers up-to-date.

Anyway, figures are in the article I had to share.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: heineken

sorry
edit on 12-5-2017 by ZIPMATT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

because large numbers of machines at each victim organisation are being compromised.

so I'd thought about it and he probably wants his records back

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
One can follow the money coming in which I assume will increase in the coming hours getting closer to zero time

here are some link of the wallets used by the attacking party

Wallet 1

Wallet 2

Wallet 3

Wallet 4

These wallets so far generated += 8.676 thus 14,916.21 US Dollar

edit on 12-5-2017 by heineken because: corrected total amount

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical
what else could they do then

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: heineken
One can follow the money coming in which I assume will increase in the coming hours getting closer to zero time

here are some link of the wallets used by the attacking party

Wallet 1

Wallet 2

Wallet 3

Wallet 4

These wallets so far generated += 8.676 thus 1,719.25 US Dollar

Maybe anonymous money transfer companies should be held liable for the damage caused by their users demanding ransoms. Either they provide the ability to trace the money transfers or they are consider accomplices. Their choice.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

please note I corrected the amount to 14,916.21

and I totally agree with you

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab

the hard drive is fine, but the data is lost if you didn´t backup.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I saw this on reddit today.
There's waay more info in that thread.
reddit thread

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Attention to Windows User :

This is the patch you need to have in order to fix the vulnerability exploited by the virus

MIcrosoft Official Patch

There is no need to say one is suggested to install.

For MacOs / Linux users just another day at the office

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join