It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump targets the Navy’s new aircraft catapult

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TheScale

Maybe they feel the testing is complete and successful. Guess we will find out about the decision down the road.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

Maybe they feel the testing is complete and successful. Guess we will find out about the decision down the road.

they could. people trying to claim they know better then others that have that information and havent released it though are just making an assumption. even one of the qoutes used by the OP points out that there is some truth to what the presidents decision was based on. so going off that remark im going to lean towards it still having issues that havent been sorted out.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Its an Electromagnetic Air Launch System...ELECTROmagnetic. Whats to keep a nearby nuclear EM Pulse from disabling all the launches on one aircraft carrier. I know we have come leaps and bounds in technology, but I don't believe we've come that far!

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheScale

originally posted by: roadgravel

i believe we should continue testing with it and advancing the technology but at this time im not so sure its a good idea to implement on our carriers till the technology is improved.

I would think having it on the Ford would accomplish just that task.

why put it on an operational ship when the system in place is still going through iterations? we could put this in a test facility like they allready have and keep running tests until they have a system that is combat ready. the biggest issue with it right now is how big the system is on the deck. would if in 5 years weve built a system that is less then half its size and now u have to retrofit an entire deck along with bringing the ship into port off and on to integrate each new iteration along the the way. thus why id rather them keep on testing it and developing the technology until its fully ready.

"Why do it" doesn't really matter. It's already done. Taking it out and installing a steam system would cost tens, if not hundreds, of millions of dollars. The entire ship was designed around not having a steam catapult system, so they'd have to redesign dozens upon dozens of spaces aboard the ship.

If Trump is trying to spin this as a cost cutting measure, then spending millions and millions of dollars to gut a ship that's already three years behind schedule and is supposed to hit the fleet pretty soon, to replace a system projected to save money with a system that is known to cost money isn't exactly good cost cutting.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It took the Navy a long time to perfect it. They have been working with them since 1946.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Skymoonwalker

The more important consideration to me would be...........which one would continue to work if electrical power failed?

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Never thought I'd see a President that was dumber than Bush.

Sure let's spend billions to switch out emals with catobar. And billions more to do it on the other carriers that are coming.

sigh.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

im curious how so many people are experts on the EMALS system? its really hard to find any good information on it. even the few tests done dont give any real data to the common person. the benefits of it are projections of what they hope to achieve with it in time. as it is right now its a very large cumbersome system that is very expensive to try and implement. i believe we should continue testing with it and advancing the technology but at this time im not so sure its a good idea to implement on our carriers till the technology is improved.

"EMALS Reliability:

"In 2013, EMALS dismal record spoke for itself. 201 out of 1,967 launches had failed.

That is over 10 percent of test launches.

Factoring in the current state of the system, the most generous numbers available show that EMALS has an average “time between failure” rate of 1 in 240. In other words, one out of 240 launches fail.

Considering how many aircraft can fly off of a supercarrier during cyclic operations, especially during a time of war, this number is highly problematic. Keep in mind these numbers do not reflect a deployed system, that is constantly battered by the harsh salt water environment and the punishment of continuous cycles, all being maintained by young sailors at sea."

"Based on expected reliability growth, the failure rate for the last reported Mean Cycles Between Critical Failure was five times higher than should have been expected. As of August 2014, the Navy has reported that over 3,017 launches have been conducted at the Lakehurst test site, but have not provided DOT&E with an update of failures. The Navy intends to provide DOT&E an update of failures in December 2014."[24]

The issue of EMALS’ reliability is not the system’s only glaring issue. In EMALS’ current configuration, it cannot launch fighter aircraft with external fuel tanks mounted, which is a show-stopper for modern U.S. fixed-wing carrier operations."

en.wikipedia.org...

Some British airports had electromagnetic shuttle trains. In theory these were going to be cleaner than diesel locomotives but the changes in electricity prices and reliability made it a problem:

www.birminghammail.co.uk...

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Looks like real world testing isn't needed. 10% failure and limited air craft configuration seems to be a show stopper.

Why would it be considered ready for deployment.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

a reply to: matafuchs

on top of that its stated in this quote from the op that the information the president was given could have been old information. if thats the case the blame rests on the people giving old outdated information to the president.

As I said in my original post, Trump does not like to get morning intelligence briefings or any other sort of briefing. He prefers to get his information from his favorite news shows on television.

...which don't do any great in-depth analysis (such as what an EMALS system is, how it works, etc, etc... he does not get the sort of information that our members had in the ATS thread from 2015 that I linked.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

Considering the only active service people that have tried it are the ones testing it, I doubt that.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Because by the time the Ford is operational, the catapult will have most if not all of the bugs worked out. She just finished her first builder trials, which included catapult operations, and passed with flying colors. She won't commission until later this year and won't be ready to deploy until around 2021.
edit on 5/12/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: NightFlight

Because one of the tests that all military equipment goes through before being put into service is EMP resistance. In the case of a carrier they're put through as they're assembled. Military equipment is hardened against EMPs.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The white house needs its own in house TV channel that only plays programs describing things like the EMALS system, and whatever else Trump should know about that he'll be making decisions on. And locks out everything else until later at night.

Kind of like a parental lock.

You'd have to pepper it with pieces about how great he is, but I think it just might work if its dressed up enough.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Because that was three years ago. They redesigned several components. And the changes seem to have worked from what I've read.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The Chinese were working on an electric catapult back in 2010.
I wonder if it didn't work out?

I see they have a new carrier with a ski jump deck.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Well maybe they told Trump it's crap. I'm only thinking out loud.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Looks like you and Trump must be reading the same stuff.

God knows nothing has changed in the last four years, amirite?

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons
a reply to: Byrd

Trump is a MORON! Now he thinks he knows what's better than engineers who designed the launching systems? Common sense people have realized this guy was an idiot since he started putting his foot in his mouth since the start of his campaign. The guy doesn't understand digital and we're in the computer age. Maybe he should google it and educate himself.

Yea, what a moron he is to have won the election to become president. It would seem the "moron" has no trouble playing the media time and time again to his advantage. He uses a smartphone & twitter, but he has no clue what digital is???
Come on really? You really can't be that moronic, could you? You should get back to your cubicle at CNN or you'll miss "after lunch spin time".
edit on 12-5-2017 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Its an Electromagnetic Air Launch System...ELECTROmagnetic. Whats to keep a nearby nuclear EM Pulse from disabling all the launches on one aircraft carrier. I know we have come leaps and bounds in technology, but I don't believe we've come that far!

Besides the fact that this rebuttal is pure lunacy and shows you don't know how EMPs work in reality, who refuses to upgrade hardware because of some random down side?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join