It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Appreciation of Alice In Chains

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
a reply to: Falenor

Hi there

Great point about Cantrell's contribution in both harmonizing vocals and songwriting!

I also realized after reading your post (hit me suddenly to my embarrassment) that I misspelled Layne Staley's name in OP.

Darn.

Hehe...well...it is kind of a weird name "Layne Staley", it doesn't roll off the tounge quite like "Jerry Cantrell", who in all honesty I thought was the lead singer of Alice in Chains at first in the 90's
. Harmonizing is the perfect way to put it between the two of them though, couldn't have put it better myself.

Kind of a funny story I'll add here, I was around a bunch of millenials about two years ago, the local rock station was on the radio and it started playing "Nutshell", they were all blown away...wanting to know who sang this song...hehe. I waited a bit until I told them the band....and then waited a bit more until I told them the song was pretty much 20 years old

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Falenor

Kind of a funny story I'll add here, I was around a bunch of millenials about two years ago, the local rock station was on the radio and it started playing "Nutshell", they were all blown away...wanting to know who sang this song...hehe. I waited a bit until I told them the band....and then waited a bit more until I told them the song was pretty much 20 years old

Lol, awesome. I think of all AIC's early/mid 90's albums, Jar of Flies is the most polished and modern sounding. I'm not surprised at the mistake, although it must have been really fun breaking it to the newbies

Just wanted to drop this one in for the amazing symphony:

edit on 11-5-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Alice in chains has always been one of my most favorite bands. I am unable to post videos at the moment, but my favorite AIC song has always been God Am. It speaks to me still.

posted on May, 11 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Benderisfunny

Hey well let me post that for you!

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   
My favorite rock band of all time. I was not lucky enough to see Layne Staley live, but I got to see their first show without him in 2006. My Dad was listening to the local radio station and they announced that they were giving out tickets to the show for free. When I came home from work he told me so hauled ass to downtown Seattle and waited in line for over an hour and got my 2 free tickets. I gave my Dad the other ticket and we got to see the new version of AIC before anybody else in fact it said 'Band Practice' as the name of the show on the tickets. Very cool, I will always remember that and am grateful to have a dad that appreciates good music.

Finally found footage of the show. The candle in the background is in memory of Layne his parents came out at the beginning of the show to light it.

Here are some of my favorites, hard to pick one or just a few because I like all their songs so much. I think these capture the bands essence perfectly.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jdubious
My favorite rock band of all time. I was not lucky enough to see Layne Staley live, but I got to see their first show without him in 2006. My Dad was listening to the local radio station and they announced that they were giving out tickets to the show for free. When I came home from work he told me so hauled ass to downtown Seattle and waited in line for over an hour and got my 2 free tickets. I gave my Dad the other ticket and we got to see the new version of AIC before anybody else in fact it said 'Band Practice' as the name of the show on the tickets. Very cool, I will always remember that and am grateful to have a dad that appreciates good music.

Finally found footage of the show. The candle in the background is in memory of Layne his parents came out at the beginning of the show to light it.

Wow Jdubious what an experience! It's so cool that you got to go with your dad, and about Layne's parents and all.
Thanks for more great music!

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Thanks for the great thread, spent over two hours looking for a video from the show. I thought it was at the paramount theater in Seattle not the Moore, got to rock out to AIC so it was well worth the time.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Thank you.

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Jdubious

I'd agree that time rocking out to AIC is time well spent! Cheers friend!

PS: Thank you for finding and posting that video from their first show after Layne passed away. It's an amazing clip.
I'm happy for you that you had that remarkable experience.

PPS: Also-- SO cool that the ticket said "Band Practice" on it.
edit on 12-5-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
When I want some Alice In Chains, Jar of Flies is my go to. It's one of my favourite records. Such great pace and balance, even though it's a short EP, it feels like an epic.

Incidentally, about the time of release of their self titled album, a friend of mine won an MTV competition for her and a friend to meet Jerry and Sean and it was shown on TV.
A bunch of us gave her our CD inlays to get them signed.
edit on 12 5 1717 by Ruiner1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Thought I'd add a couple that Staley recorded with Mad Season

edit on 18-5-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join